Hi all. I'm a recent site joiner and got my first blackberry two days ago, switching from a sidekick. I went in to a store and had questions about the two different models and was not treated the greatest. I wanted to know the difference between the two other than the price and the guy asked me why I wanted to switch phones in the first place (also saying that my phone was a "toy") and suggested something else other than the blackberry. He gave me very close ended answers and told me I'd be better off getting anything other than the 8900 because it would have features I wouldn't use. I ended up leaving and talking it over with my boyfriend and went back and was helped by someone else who was just as rude. I ended up getting the 8320 curve and went home to figure things out for myself. I have 11 days left to return or exchange it. I have been playing around with it now for the last two days and can see why everyone loves them. I was wondering what people's thoughts are about the two because I went in with the intention of buying the 8900. I use my phone for messaging, internet and e-mail, both personal and work. Any feedback would be great and I'm sure more helpful than what I was told. Thanks!
    02-26-09 11:46 PM
    The 8900 is better than the 8320 in every way imaginable (I've had both). He probably was being a ****** because he didn't have any 8900 in stock and wanted you to buy something right then.
    02-27-09 01:40 AM
    My recommendation is to mess around with your phone a week or so, get to know it - how it works when you open apps, send texts and so on. Then head back into the store (wave off the knuckleheads who come over to dissuade you from the 8900) to test out the 8900. Run the same sort of tests you been doing on your phone and you might see a clear difference. From a technical standpoint the 8900 is a curve on steroids. I would also suggest going to blackberry.com and hitting compare devices. Drop your phone and the 8900 into the compare list and look at the differences. You will see the 8900 is superior in.......well.....everything in my opinion but its better for you to see it with your own eyes and by playing with the phones.

My good friend has a bold and when I mess with his phone I come away sad at how fast his is when sending texts, opening apps etc compared to mine - just the increased memory. Your phone has 64mb of memory and the 8900 has 256mb......Big deal if you run alot of apps..... Just one of many things to look at. Just my thoughts, in the end whatever makes you happy is what you should get

Best of luck and welcome to CrackBerry....

BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
    02-27-09 02:10 AM
    My bad I think I actually have the 8330. I am just way too new at this! I did the comparison of the two (thanks for that!) and noticed a few things. I maybe go back in this weekend and try the 8900 out. I think I'd still have a week to go back if for some reason I didn't like it. Yeah I was not happy with my experience but am with it here at crackberry. Thanks again!
    02-27-09 07:30 PM
    Get the 8900. New is improved, and improved is better. And slap those salesmen for being pricks. Or report them. Enoy your new phone, whichever you choose.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 11:12 PM
    My bad I think I actually have the 8330. I am just way too new at this! I did the comparison of the two (thanks for that!) and noticed a few things. I maybe go back in this weekend and try the 8900 out. I think I'd still have a week to go back if for some reason I didn't like it. Yeah I was not happy with my experience but am with it here at crackberry. Thanks again!
    I see. Well the 8330 has some differences from the 8320 which I am sure you saw in the device comparison as well as comparing them to the 8900. Now all you need to do is play with them

I am in the same position to a point, Bold or 8900 - I think I have it nailed down though - Best of luck.........
    02-27-09 11:19 PM
    You either have a CDMA carrier (Sprint/Verizon/Alltel) in order to have the 8330.

If you have T-mobile and it has wifi, then it's the 8320.

The 8900 is definitely a better device. The question is whether you need the 8900. The 8900 has a better camera (3.2 instead of 2.0), better screen resolution, faster processor, more application memory, more ram and has both wifi and gps. There are more, but those are the main ones. Only thing the 8320 wins in is price.
    02-27-09 11:33 PM
    T-Mobile doesn't have an 8330. You have the 8320. The 8900 is a much improved device. It literally runs circles around the 8320 and then stops, points, and laughs at it. Then it gives the 8320 a wedgy. I've seen this happen.

02-27-09 11:38 PM
    Lol Wow! I've never seen that happen but I'll let you know if I do lol.

But get the 8900, I have the 8320 at the moment and am looking into upgrading because of the many reasons posted here. You won't make the wrong choice, but then again you decide if its worth it for you.

02-28-09 02:11 AM
    The Javelin (8900) ofcourse!

02-28-09 10:55 AM
    Thanks for all the advice. I obviously am too new to even know what phone I have. I'll be stopping in this weekend and switching and I'm sure I'll be happy with 8900. Now just what to do with the cases I bought for the 8320....oh and I'll make sure not to get the phones too close as I don't want any fighting
    02-28-09 08:09 PM
    Great choice to go with the 8900! Once you turn it on you will know you made a good decision!
    02-28-09 08:53 PM
    T-Mobile doesn't have an 8330. You have the 8320. The 8900 is a much improved device. It literally runs circles around the 8320 and then stops, points, and laughs at it. Then it gives the 8320 a wedgy. I've seen this happen.

I literally laughed out loud. LOL!
    02-28-09 08:58 PM
    Thanks for all the advice. I obviously am too new to even know what phone I have. I'll be stopping in this weekend and switching and I'm sure I'll be happy with 8900. Now just what to do with the cases I bought for the 8320....oh and I'll make sure not to get the phones too close as I don't want any fighting
    Great choice. Let us know how your blackberry experience is after a while
    02-28-09 09:07 PM
    While the main features are obviously better the big issue I have with the 8900 is...
    1. Non standard charger. Old Curve has mini-usb which makes it very easy to charge your phone if you forget the included charger. No charger, just get a USB cable and connect it to your computer. People always forget about the charger since we are used to proprietary jacks, but having mini USB makes everything easier. Instead now you have to buy an adapter that can only fit that BB. Last time I checked mini usb cables are like a dollar and can be purchased easily or you even have some lying around from other computer devices that uses it.

While everyone argues the features are better, well of course they are that is why you pay $150 for the 8900 and $50 for the 83xx with new contracts. Is the $100 dollars worth those extra features. I personally don't think so, but depending on how you use your BB, you might. This is just a refresh and nothing ground breaking. Now they improve on everything and add in 4G support, that is what I call a experience changer.
    06-18-09 12:10 AM
    ^actually, micro usb is becoming the new standard in phone chargers. Pretty much all new phones are getting it. Its not proprietary. You can pick up a micro usb cable at any radio shack or best buy.

06-18-09 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD