04-06-09 07:20 PM
57 123
tools
    The thing is the reps are giving wrong information telling people the 8900 will have 3G for whatever reason.
    I truely believe that reps get little bit and pieces of info and then guess at A LOT... and then for some reason put it out as if it was fact when they don't really know what they are talking about... they would learn so much just by reading some of the info here on CB.
    04-06-09 05:13 PM
    AT&T probably will get a 3G 8900 like device. I think the model number is 9220 or 9300. AT&T is phasing out there EDGE network. Buying the 8900 in its current state and using it on AT&T would be like buying an analog only TV and knowing it wont work after June, there's no point to it. AT&T is extremely dedicated to its 3G network. I don't think they've released an EDGE only phone in a while. For all the people who say 3G isn't that fast, its not much faster than EDGE, it kills battery life, etc. Those things may be true but AT&T is going to force you to like 3G or your phone will have terrible service. Anyways, don't count on AT&T getting the 8900 in its current state however do anticipate a 3G like 8900 device.
    For starters people still do purchase Analog TVs and the same thing applies to EDGE devices. The average consumer doesn't even know the difference and if AT&T can make money NOW by selling an EDGE device and then make MORE money down the road by selling that same person a 3G device, you can bet your house that they will do just that. The point of all this is that consumers want the 8900 today and AT&T wants to make money. So there is a clear a very clear and understandable point to selling the 8900 with AT&T.

Secondly, 3G isn't God's gift to cellular technology. Sure it is the next generation but not everyone has a need for it and not everyone wants to use it. It needs improvements in certain areas and it definitely has its benefits in areas. I think EDGE is going to stick around much longer than you think it will. For example offshore rigs drilling for oil still use bag cell phones that you used to have 20 or so years ago.

Given the insider's feedback that I have read, I am confident that AT&T is going to sell the 8900 itself, no 3G. Time will show you what I am talking about. The only reason AT&T is not selling the phone now is because T-mobile has exclusivity on the 8900 at this time.
    04-06-09 05:48 PM
    man, I want to believe you but I dont see why they would. Making money and going against their business plan would never happen. They want to move in the direction of 3g and Im not implying that 3g is better than EDGE. Edge is good technology but I dont think they would bring is a new cell phone without 3g capabilities.
    04-06-09 05:56 PM
    man, I want to believe you but I dont see why they would. Making money and going against their business plan would never happen. They want to move in the direction of 3g and Im not implying that 3g is better than EDGE. Edge is good technology but I dont think they would bring is a new cell phone without 3g capabilities.
    LOL, are you serious? Business is to make money. The economy is different now than it was when AT&T intended to go "all 3G". Sure they would like to go into that direction but making money now trumps that, especially if there is a good chance you can make more money from the same person later. Business is business and money drives it. As long as the *majority* of AT&Ts phones or 3G or at least over time they get increasingly more 3G devices than non-3G devices then they can continue to show that they are moving towards an exclusive 3G future. In the meantime, however, people with EDDGE devices will have broken phones and need replacements. These people will not all want to get a 3G device due to the price increase on those devices. Aside from that, there are plenty of people today that have zero 3G service in their area and want/need new devices. I can guarantee you that AT&T is not going to turn these people away. They will instead offer them a device they may like. Switching over to 3G is not a perfect situation and in the meantime AT&T will need to offer products to everyone.

(Holy Wall of Text ... I know! )
    04-06-09 06:05 PM
    Pretty much what aristile said, Edge is not going anywhere anytime soon. I would love to know who started this funny rumor being thrown around every so often. Just because in certain areas At&t will move it to the 1900mhz band does not mean it will be phased out and be vanished over night.
    04-06-09 06:44 PM
    Hey Aristile.. I like you man, Im not trying to argue with you about this. Its basically my thought that they wont be using the 8900 in its current lay out.. I believe they want to go 3g. If they do bring in the 8900 then congrats you won this debtate! haha

We'll see come June or whenever its going to be released..

argh, I just finished reading this article and I cant help to think that its a 3g future for ATT.
    AT&T 3G network going 850Mhz nationwide by 2010!

(I can sense the rebuttles right now=) and I know writers dont know everything and theyre wrong most of the time...=/
    EDGE isnt going anywhere, I know, but "I DONT think" they're going to get push very much further with the new line of phones that ATT will introduce in its' future.
    Last edited by dannieloco; 04-06-09 at 07:15 PM.
    04-06-09 07:12 PM
    Here's the thing. I am not really debating the issue with you. What I am saying is the information I am going off of is tried and true information time and time again from those in the know. My opinion in this doesn't matter because honestly, I feel the way you do that it makes sense to us, the consumer, that AT&T will skip the 8900 due to the 3G goal they have. People with more knowledge on the situation than I could ever hope for have said AT&T is releasing the 8900 and I have no reason to doubt that so I will not do so.

Besides, AT&T has done things in the past that do not make any sense so I don't see this to be any different.
    04-06-09 07:20 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD