So as the subject says, ive got an 8900 headed my way. Ive never actually upgraded from one blackberry to another before. I know i need to switch my sim card over, but when i did this before i had knowledge of backups and whatnot i would have to change everyones number from home to mobile. If i run the switch device wizard, is it going to import all of my contacts exactly as they are on my 8320? Should i choose to copy my sim card contacts over or just rely on the switch device wizard? Im just not really sure when i should put the sim card in, and if i should transfer contacts over at all..

And i was just a bit curious as to how detailed the device switch wizard is, what exactly will i be transferring over..? Thanks for the help, i usually dont have questions but this is my first upgrade...very excited
    01-20-09 10:58 PM
    Just do everything from the DM. Do a back up from your 8320. Use the switch wizard. The only thing you'll have to watch for is you PIN change. You'll have to let your other BB peeps know about your PIN change. When you put the SIM card in the 8900, send the service books via the phone OR go to T-Mobile's website. When you do that, it'll PIN xxxxx has beem changed to PIN xxxxx, do you want to switch? click yes and it'll send the service books to the 8900, restoring your email settings.
    01-20-09 11:23 PM
    Just do everything from the DM. Do a back up from your 8320. Use the switch wizard. The only thing you'll have to watch for is you PIN change. You'll have to let your other BB peeps know about your PIN change. When you put the SIM card in the 8900, send the service books via the phone OR go to T-Mobile's website. When you do that, it'll PIN xxxxx has beem changed to PIN xxxxx, do you want to switch? click yes and it'll send the service books to the 8900, restoring your email settings.

Thanks for the reply, so youre saying that along with using the device switch wizard i should also do a backup? Should i restore using that backup before or after using the device switch wizard? And is this going to hide any apps or anything with a brand new device? Thanks again
    01-20-09 11:52 PM
    Also, if you have any 3rd party applications don't forget to register your new PIN with them so you can use the programs you purchased. In some cases, you may have to repurchase the application. It just depends on the software as each developer can handle it differently.
    01-21-09 12:00 AM

Thanks for the reply, so youre saying that along with using the device switch wizard i should also do a backup? Should i restore using that backup before or after using the device switch wizard? And is this going to hide any apps or anything with a brand new device? Thanks again
    As a rule of thumb, you should always back up your device before you mess with it. As a good practice you should backup your device frequently so you won't have to worry about losing anything.

I believe when you use the device switch wizard, it will copy all your stuff for you to the new device. I think all your apps will show up. Some themes may not show up since they are not compatible with the 8900 format.
    01-21-09 12:04 AM
    As a rule of thumb, you should always back up your device before you mess with it. As a good practice you should backup your device frequently so you won't have to worry about losing anything.

I believe when you use the device switch wizard, it will copy all your stuff for you to the new device. I think all your apps will show up. Some themes may not show up since they are not compatible with the 8900 format.

Right, i backup my 8320 regularly..im just a bit confused as to whats being told to me here. If the device switch wizard takes care of everything, do i really need to create a backup prior to using that? And when i put my sim card in, should i copy my contacts to my phone or just let the device wizard move my existing contacts?
    Thanks again
    01-21-09 12:18 AM
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering this as well. I do nightly backups of my 8320, so it should be an easy switch. No other software besides CB launcher, Facebook, Myspace and the 8900 Replica theme (which I won't transfer, obviously).
    01-21-09 12:18 AM
    What I did was just transfer the address book, saved messages and memos. The 3rd party apps i just re-down loaded, just a thing too me thats its a new phone/OS.

You can just reload certain parts of a back-up, in the back-restore,-advanced

Because it's a new phone/OS, I'd just do that. Itll be a pain in the ... the first time, but I did that and I've had no problems with my 8900.
    01-21-09 06:03 AM
    Also, if you have any 3rd party applications don't forget to register your new PIN with them so you can use the programs you purchased. In some cases, you may have to repurchase the application. It just depends on the software as each developer can handle it differently.
    What is a PIN I mean I know what the abbrev. stands for but how is it useful for my BB? Also how do u know what your PIN is? Do I make up my own?
    01-21-09 10:18 AM
    What is a PIN I mean I know what the abbrev. stands for but how is it useful for my BB? Also how do u know what your PIN is? Do I make up my own?
    Your PIN (Product Identification Number) identifies your phone from other phones. 3rd party applications use this to identify your specific phone. To find out what your PIN is, Hold Shift and Alt then press H. The PIN is listed there.
    01-21-09 11:51 AM
    TY Aristile, I have one more question when I get my 8900 will my pin change since its a different device?
    01-21-09 11:58 AM
    TY Aristile, I have one more question when I get my 8900 will my pin change since its a different device?
    No Problem. Each phone has a unique PIN so whichever phone you are using at a certain time, its PIN is your current PIN.
    01-21-09 12:13 PM
    Oh ok, so when going through the device setup and it asks me do I want to change my PIN I should select yes right? since my old PIN is registered with my 8320 sry for asking so many questions. I just want to be sure I get it right.
    01-21-09 12:19 PM
    Are you talking about in Desktop Manger while switching devices? If you are then you want to setup your desktop manager to your new PIN, yes. This will allow you to backup, sync, etc.
    01-21-09 12:50 PM
    Are you talking about in Desktop Manger while switching devices? If you are then you want to setup your desktop manager to your new PIN, yes. This will allow you to backup, sync, etc.
    Actually I meant on the handset itself. Like when u go through the on the phone set-up. But it seems better if I do it through the DM
    01-21-09 12:57 PM
    I am thinking I may just re-synch my new 8900 with my Outlook to get my contacts, Calendar, tasks on the new phone. Does the switch wizard bring anything else to the party?
    01-21-09 05:29 PM
    For future readers of this thread: If you are on a BES in a corporate environment, it is easiest to just reactivate on the BES and have everything transferred from the BES to your device. That way, no conflicts or duplicate data.

I also like reinstalling my apps whenever I switch device models since sometimes the versions are slightly different for different models. If the same model, however, the device switch wizard saves lots of time as I have numerpos third-party apps.
    01-21-09 05:40 PM
    This thread helped me alot. Im getting my Jav this Friday too and had no idea the desktop manager had "Device Switch Wizard" until now when I read and Opened it..good stuff
    01-21-09 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD