1. sifka4's Avatar
    I'm thinking about moving to the 8900 on T-mobile and would appreciate any advice. I did some nasty deal back in August of last year and got a Pearl 8120 for $99 after rebate. I called today to check on my upgrade status and they told me I have gone 25 months without a phone upgrade and would get the best pricing, yet I am still in contract until August of this year.

    Here is my situation. Do I try to sell my pearl now for $150 or so and hope that I can get the new curve for the prices floating around the net? Or should I wait and make sure, then sell the pearl? I would assume that it would be worth less to people once the new curve drops.

    Can anyone who already ordered through T-mobile and opted for a one year extension tell me how much they paid? Were there rebate requirements? Were you currently in a contract? (They told me that if I upgraded to a phone with a one year agreement, it would just override my old contract and start a year over from when the upgrade is ordered)

    Thanks for any wisdom.
    01-26-09 07:41 PM
  2. NorthStar7's Avatar
    I was a free agent. I paid $249 for a one year contract ($349-$100 MIR).

    I am not sure the 8900 release will have a huge effect on the value of your 8120. Some people want a Pearl for the form factor. I am more confident that the price of the 8900 will go down after 2/11 when T-Mo is offering them for $495.
    01-26-09 07:48 PM
  3. sifka4's Avatar
    If I wait until then, will they even let me do a 1 year extension upgrade? In their upgrader section on my.tmobile.com it only offers no extension and 2 year extension.
    01-26-09 07:53 PM
  4. NorthStar7's Avatar
    I don't know. I am confused by the description of your situation. You are eligible for best pricing but you are under contract for 7 more months? I have never heard of that.

    Bottom line...if I were you I would get the Tmo version so I could use UMA.
    01-26-09 08:00 PM
  5. sifka4's Avatar
    Well yeah I am planning on getting the T-Mo version. I was thinking about trying to get the CSRs to give it to me early like others have reported doing.

    Yeah I'm not sure what happened to my account, but when I bought the pearl I was extended for a year. However, their system is not showing that I upgraded, and that I havent upgraded for over 2 years. 2 reps confirmed this.

    Maybe it is because I cancelled my old line and then added a new one right afterwards? Whatever happened though appears to be in my favor :P
    01-26-09 08:02 PM
  6. NorthStar7's Avatar
    Yeah I'm not sure what happened to my account, but when I bought the pearl I was extended for a year. However, their system is not showing that I upgraded, and that I havent upgraded for over 2 years. 2 reps confirmed this.
    In that case....what are you waiting for?

    Good luck!
    01-26-09 08:07 PM
  7. aristile's Avatar
    I think your situation is unique and you probably have to wait and see, unfortunately. If I were you, I would call and verify without absolute certainty that your contract ends when you think it does. In fact, I would go into a store so I can see dates in the computer myself. Once you are sure that you can pay the upgrade price then I would get rid of that Pearl as fast as I can so I can maximize what I can sell it for and then wait for the Feb 11th. Or better yet read this thread and try to order one now.
    01-26-09 08:09 PM
  8. sifka4's Avatar
    Well I called earlier today to ask about upgrading while still on contract. The guy told me I am in the upper tier and would get the best price. I then asked him when my contract ends and he said August something of this year.

    Later, I called and asked if new activation prices were the same as second tier upgrade prices and she said yes. She then said I hadn't upgraded my phone in 25 months so I would get the best price which would probably be the same as activation (1 year extension), and I wouldnt have to pay the activation fee.
    01-26-09 08:21 PM
  9. aristile's Avatar
    Well I called earlier today to ask about upgrading while still on contract. The guy told me I am in the upper tier and would get the best price. I then asked him when my contract ends and he said August something of this year.

    Later, I called and asked if new activation prices were the same as second tier upgrade prices and she said yes. She then said I hadn't upgraded my phone in 25 months so I would get the best price which would probably be the same as activation (1 year extension), and I wouldnt have to pay the activation fee.
    Then put your Pearl up for sale and keep calling Customer Service reps until you get one to sell you an 8900 on preorder.
    01-26-09 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD