10-02-09 12:19 PM
51 123
tools
    If it is turned off, then it is not being logged. once turned on, those log files stay for as long as you want them to.
    07-31-09 05:36 PM
    I am going to respond to this and then I am done with this silly part of the discussion. I am 100% permitted to talk to my wife and friends on my work device as I assume most people are. That doesnt mean, however, that I want those conversation recorded by my IT department anymore than I want them to record my telephone calls to her, etc. They are called private conversations. They are not questionable, just private. Go away.

You are allowed to if your IT/Company says you are. If they say you are not, then you are not, its that simple. Only you, and your company know your policy. However, you are allowed based on them being able to log, if they are logging, they can view whatever they want (as per the links above).
    07-31-09 05:38 PM
    The beauty of BES is yes, you can log every sms, bbm, etc etc. Oh my, the x rated sms texts we read.... so to those that said its not possible. It surrrrrre is.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-09 05:39 PM
    Lets see, a few links
    View Document
    What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

The second explains the best part. Third party IM services (beejive, etc) and the contact information for your PIN messages cannot be seen. EVERYTHING else can be seen or blocked.
    Nice links Sith, maybe the guy will listen to the feedback he was given now.

I am going to respond to this and then I am done with this silly part of the discussion. I am 100% permitted to talk to my wife and friends on my work device as I assume most people are. That doesnt mean, however, that I want those conversation recorded by my IT department anymore than I want them to record my telephone calls to her, etc. They are called private conversations. They are not questionable, just private. Go away.
    I guess you can be all defensive and touchy if you like, but really if you think about what I am saying you will realize that I am looking out for you. No sweat off of my back, I won't help you out on here anymore.
    I was told that there is a memory file in a blackberry that stores all text messages, pin to pin communications and BBMs even after you delete them from the device. In other words, I can have a BBM conversation, then "end conversation" or "clear history", and there will still be a file on my device that can later be pulled out which will contain the contents of the conversation. Is this true??? I was also told this file could be deleted or purged by the user. Is this true? I have a Curve 8900.
    Nah ders no such memory file on your device with this information...This information is stored in your carriers server for about 5 years tho! Everything you send or receive over the network is stored in your carriers server for security reasons.
    Lets see, a few links
    View Document
    What does BES see; what can be tracked/logged? - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

The second explains the best part. Third party IM services (beejive, etc) and the contact information for your PIN messages cannot be seen. EVERYTHING else can be seen or blocked.
    Thanks, this was really helpful. So it sounds like they CAN actively monitor, but they may choose not to. The last bit I am wondering about is if they, for example, choose NOT to monitor pin to pin or BBM, is the data just basically gone once deleted from the device? It seems like the answer must be yes, that it is gone. But none of the stuff I have read seems to confirm that. Hmmmm
    07-31-09 05:40 PM
    Yes, logging would start the moment they turn it on, and does not reach into the past.
    07-31-09 05:41 PM
    Yes, if they are not monitoring say for Wednesday, the information that was sent on Wednesday will not be logged and they cannot retrieve that information. Most BES admins wont have the tracking off for just 1 day, if it's on then it stays on pretty much, unless they are doing maintenance.
    07-31-09 05:42 PM
    Hahaha.... Just a little defensive there.

Maybe we should chill a little!

Fair enough. Sorry about that -- should have just ignored.
    07-31-09 05:42 PM
    Yes, very much possible DUDE! and with GPS we know where you are at all times.
    07-31-09 05:43 PM
    Thanks Sith and Jake. You two seem to agree, your logic makes sense and is supported by the info you forwarded. I guess then to wrap up and answer the initial question (are there local data files stored on the device itself which can later be tapped?) you would say that you dont think there are any such local files on the device?
    07-31-09 05:45 PM
    No, log files would not be stored on the device
    07-31-09 05:46 PM
    No, log files would not be stored on the device
    Thanks for all the help!! Have a great weekend. And with that I am off to send a BBM to my dealer, mistress and other conspiring miscreants......
    07-31-09 05:52 PM
    Yeah.... Logs on the device won't happen. It would take up to much space.

07-31-09 05:54 PM
    Thanks for all the help!! Have a great weekend. And with that I am off to send a BBM to my dealer, mistress and other conspiring miscreants......
    WOW, now THAT is rich right there!
    07-31-09 05:56 PM
    Yeah.... Logs on the device won't happen. It would take up to much space.

thanks dude.
    07-31-09 06:01 PM
    WOW, now THAT is rich right there!
    I'm sharp, what can I say?
    07-31-09 06:01 PM
    I'm sharp, what can I say?
    You're something ... I'll give you that much.
    07-31-09 06:04 PM
    Actually log files are stored on the device. But I do not know how much information is included in them.

Hold ALT and type LGLG. This pulls up the log file. You can use the menu to save, backup, delete, etc. this file off of your phone.

And it gets huge. I delete a 12 MB file every few days or so. (there may be an auto purge for dated events, but I do not understand the device enough to read the details)
    07-31-09 06:06 PM
    Actually log files are stored on the device. But I do not know how much information is included in them.

Hold ALT and type LGLG. This pulls up the log file. You can use the menu to save, backup, delete, etc. this file off of your phone.

And it gets huge. I delete a 12 MB file every few days or so. (there may be an auto purge for dated events, but I do not understand the device enough to read the details)
    That is the "event log" -- it seems to record everything you do but doesnt appear to record the body of any message. Something like that.
    07-31-09 06:17 PM
    When I first heard, about a year ago, that any messages sent or recv'd on my work BB could be retrieved, I instantly went out and purchased a personal BB. I would think if your company is targeting you for any reason, they will go out of their way to retrieve any information (including you BB messages). So, at the end of the day, if you don't want them to see it, don't do it. Keep personal seperate from business.
    07-31-09 06:30 PM

That is the "event log" -- it seems to record everything you do but doesnt appear to record the body of any message. Something like that.
    Deleting the log file merely clears the events you can see, doesnt actually remove it from the device. It is likely your memory increase has to do with closing other applications and/or battery pull. The event log shows events, similar to the Windows event viewer. It does not show information included in the body of text.
    07-31-09 06:32 PM
    When I first heard, about a year ago, that any messages sent or recv'd on my work BB could be retrieved, I instantly went out and purchased a personal BB. I would think if your company is targeting you for any reason, they will go out of their way to retrieve any information (including you BB messages). So, at the end of the day, if you don't want them to see it, don't do it. Keep personal seperate from business.
    Thank you! That's what I was trying to say but someone freaked out when I did.
    07-31-09 08:19 PM
    Even you deleted the "secret memory files", BES has backup.
    07-31-09 08:29 PM
    If you are on a BES, then this is what you are referring to:
    Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

This information is NOT stored on your local device, but rather on the BES servers. And just because it can be logged does not mean it IS being logged.
    07-31-09 08:38 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD