I've had the 8900 for about a month now and I am loving it but my only complaint is that I feel as if when I transfer a video file, it takes much longer than it should in Roxio Media Manager =/

The files are anywhere between 100mb and 300mb and it takes more than an hour to convert. Is this normal?

So my question is, is there another software that anyone has used that improves conversion speed?

btw, I am running the newest software with a 8gig SD and my laptop has 4gb RAM just in case any of those are factors.

Thank you for any response you may have!
    03-06-09 01:32 PM
    Roxio is such a waste of time....Are you moving the files from you computer to your phone?? If so, just drag it to the folder you want it in. The media manager on Roxio is slow and bloated and is really good for nothing except maybe resizing photos. Save yourself some time and do it that way. You have plenty of mem on board your computer, it shouldn't take that long. You could encode a 7.4GB DVD in the same amount of time....
    03-06-09 01:38 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply Drew!

but I'm not sure if I understand correctly. When I have Roxio open, I DO just drag the file from my "My Movies" folder and drop it into the bottom box where my memory card is and then it gives me those 3 options where I can transfer without conversion or I can covert for optimum playback and I always choose convert. And that is when it takes forever. What are you doing differently to make it go faster I guess is my question. Or perhaps, what am I doing wrong? lol
    03-06-09 01:43 PM
    i think what he's trying to say is not to use Roxio all together.
    Open up the drive letter assigned to your BB card and drag and drop the video right into the video folder.
    03-06-09 01:47 PM
    ohhhh I see what he was talking about now. Thank you. I can't do it now unfortunately, at work. bummer. But I will try when I get home.

Now, will that still convert if I do that? Because it seems as if it would just stick it there in the original format.
    03-06-09 01:57 PM
    Now, will that still convert if I do that? Because it seems as if it would just stick it there in the original format.
    No, using your device as a mass storage device and drag-dropping files does not convert them. It copies them to the device memory card in their original form. However, I doubt you'll have much luck with this. I'm a video editor by hobby and I have yet to get even one video encoded in the correct format to play on my 8900. I must be using the wrong bitrate or something in the compression, but the ONLY way I've gotten videos to work is by converting them through Roxio, as you have been doing.
    03-06-09 02:06 PM
    No, using your device as a mass storage device and drag-dropping files does not convert them. It copies them to the device memory card in their original form. However, I doubt you'll have much luck with this. I'm a video editor by hobby and I have yet to get even one video encoded in the correct format to play on my 8900. I must be using the wrong bitrate or something in the compression, but the ONLY way I've gotten videos to work is by converting them through Roxio, as you have been doing.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. But do you have the same problem as me? Where it takes a stupid amount of time to convert the file. I mean, I can use Convertx2dvd and convert AND burn a movie in about 30-45 min. Is yours faster than a couple of hours to convert a movie?
    03-06-09 02:27 PM
    That's exactly what I was thinking. But do you have the same problem as me? Where it takes a stupid amount of time to convert the file. I mean, I can use Convertx2dvd and convert AND burn a movie in about 30-45 min. Is yours faster than a couple of hours to convert a movie?
    It all depends on your processor speed, RAM and CPU Bus speed. Mine doesn't take quite that long, but then again I have a quad core processor with 4GB of DDR3 ram at 1066mHz. But it does take much longer with Roxio than with other programs (such as Premiere, my app of choice).
    03-06-09 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD