I just purchased an unlocked 8900 and I am not sure how this UMA works. I was listen to Kevin's last podcast and they mentioned about making long distance calls for free. I call Greece often, will this work? Also I am will be using this BB on the AT&T network, will there be any problems with my emails, etc? Thanks
    01-26-09 11:54 AM
    You won't get 3G speeds with the phone, as it's only meant (thus far) for EDGE. Maybe a 3G model in 2h/2009. As for the UMA, I doubt you will be able to use it for free minutes internationally or even in the states for that matter. AT&T doesn't have a UMA plan like T-Mobile does, so even if you're using the UMA of the phone (if you can get it to work, that is) it will still pull from your bucket of plan minutes.

Anybody able to confirm that it's difficult to get the Wi-Fi working on a non-T-Mobile network for an unlocked 8900? I thought I read that somewhere.

As for emails, your BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) should still work just fine on AT&T's network, unless I'm mistaken.

Sorry to kind of burst your bubble, PerryNY. But, if anybody knows otherwise, please speak up!
    01-26-09 12:21 PM
    I have used the Handset on Vodafone UK (non UMA network) and Orange (UMA network). What you will find is that if your network does not allow UMA, you will not have wifi preferred in the network options and you will not have UMA at the top right even when you are connected to the wifi.

Phone being locked or unlock should not effect it. I know that Orange UK still charges you for the UMA calls, the only advantage is that you do not have to worry about the poor network signal.
    01-26-09 12:38 PM
    Thanks guys for those insightful responses. I guess I will cancel my order and just wait until T-Mobile has the phone and start a contract with them.
    01-26-09 12:46 PM
    Thanks guys for those insightful responses. I guess I will cancel my order and just wait until T-Mobile has the phone and start a contract with them.
    That's your best bet if you need to have UMA working. Give T-Mobile a call though and ask them if you can call internationally from the USA using UMA and still have it completely free for you (aside from the $10 monthly UMA calling feature). I'm not quite sure about that one, but I think it would be OK.
    01-26-09 01:25 PM
    I just spoke to someone at T-Mobile and they said that the UMA plan is only for the United States. They do not offer a International plan (that really sucks). So I guess its back to SKYPE.
    01-27-09 12:02 AM
    I just spoke to someone at T-Mobile and they said that the UMA plan is only for the United States. They do not offer a International plan (that really sucks). So I guess its back to SKYPE.
    Well, this is not entirely true. While it's -technically- accurate, theoretically you can still call from international countries using UMA and not get charged a cent. There are numerous reports from others here who have called via UMA from Italy, Mexico, Canada, etc that never got charged anything extra. I think it all depends on if the Wi-Fi signal you're connected to has to make any hops through a cellular or satellite network, but I really can't say that with any kind of certainty.

You can't know for sure unless you try it, though. That's the crappy part.
    01-27-09 12:11 AM
    Well, this is not entirely true. While it's -technically- accurate, theoretically you can still call from international countries using UMA and not get charged a cent.
    UMA does not give you free international calling as in long-distance, but it does give you an opportunity to completely avoid international roaming charges if you have a Wi-Fi connection while traveling overseas (hotels, coffee shops, if on business -- the office you are visiting with, etc.). Select "Wi-Fi only" in Mobile Network Options when abroad to avoid accidental roaming charges.
    01-27-09 08:01 AM
    Well, this is not entirely true. While it's -technically- accurate, theoretically you can still call from international countries using UMA and not get charged a cent. There are numerous reports from others here who have called via UMA from Italy, Mexico, Canada, etc that never got charged anything extra. I think it all depends on if the Wi-Fi signal you're connected to has to make any hops through a cellular or satellite network, but I really can't say that with any kind of certainty.

You can't know for sure unless you try it, though. That's the crappy part.
    Yep, I can confirm that I have called back to the US via UMA from Argentina, Mexico, Germany, and Canada. No extra charges (I have the hotspots at home calling so free for me, otherwise it will just use your normal minutes). If you call via UMA to another country it is just like calling not on UMA, you get charged for LD. The trick with UMA from other countries is that when connected via UMA the thinks you are in the US, shortcoming of the server side software so they cannot tell where you are when on UMA.

And the comments above, no att does not support UMA because it requires a server setup by the carrier to receive the VOIP call and connect it to the rest of their network. Anything else?
    01-27-09 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD