I'm new to BB (had to abandon Moto) and should have my 8900 in the mail tomorrow. Is anyone using this device as a PDA only with no SIM/cell service? I ask because I'm currently in S. Korea and have no use for cell service but use an iTouch as my PDA. My last GSM phone wouldn't boot up without a SIM, how about the BB? Will GPS operate without a carrier? I'm sure the WiFi will but I can't find any info pertaining to my situation. Any info for a rookie will help.
    04-30-09 12:56 AM
    I don't think some features will work without a SIM, and if I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me. I heard you can surf on wi-fi without SIM, but I have never tried it myself.
    04-30-09 01:54 AM
    I was curious myself and pulled out my SIM and was able to use the internet via Wi-Fi...PDA functions work too so yes it's possible!
    04-30-09 01:57 AM
    It definitely works without a SIM/data plan so you can use it for just a PDA.

GPS is a slightly different story. The internal GPS does work without a SIM and/or data plan. However, there aren't many options out there for maps if you don't have a data plan. All the major GPS vendors use web-based maps that require a data plan and none of them have maps that can be loaded on an SD card... believe me i've checked.

Once option though is to check out Mobile GMaps (google it). they have a BB app that will work with SD cards. The problem is finding maps though. You can use MAPCACHER (google it), to use google maps and create your own, but it can take up some storage and time to make depending on what size of map you make and how many zoom levels you choose. It does work though. Typically I use a low level zoom for an entire continent (say zooms 1-10). Routes I drive on frequently I zoom 1-14. When I travel to a new city, I get zoom 1-16 so I can see all of the side streets when I'm walking.

Takes some getting used to, but once you have it down you'll know how to get the maps that work best for you. I would recommend getting at least a 4gb sdhc card though... preferably 8gb (they're like $15 on ebay) though.
    04-30-09 03:38 AM
    Thanks for the info Bobbo! I'll be looking into the mapping a little more once I get the hang of using a BB. My biggest concern was that it wouldn't even boot.
    Now I just have to get ahold of T-Mo Flexpay for my trips to the states.
    04-30-09 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD