Since yesterday, my phone has been overheating whether it's on or off (on standby).. and only lasts about 2-3 hours on a full charge.

It charges as normal but stops when the handset gets very warm, however when I cool it infront a fan or A/C, it continues to charge.

Using the car charger this afternoon, that's how I was able to notice how it would charge once the phone remained cool.. The charge icon would consistently disappear everytime the phone got warm but when I pointed it at the A/C, it charged.

Also when I use the USB, it would read the memory card with no problems even if it didn't charge.

And the battery doesn't get hot at all, seems like the general area beneath it with the sim card and memory card is where it tends to overheat.

It isn't the battery itself because I switched that and I got the same results.

As far as software changes goes, I've been running the same OS since November.

What can you recommend?

Regards.
    Last edited by stacichu; 04-23-10 at 05:40 PM.
    04-23-10 05:35 PM
    May need a replacement. Still got warranty? Seems serious. Also, are the batteries and chargers you're using OEM? Anything battery related I always get OEM with a few exceptions, like Seido.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 05:42 PM
    Crazy... I'd get it replaced. I've never heard of a phone generating any significant amount of heat unless something bad was wrong with the battery.
    04-23-10 05:55 PM
    Apps can cause a lot of heat if they run flat out, meaning consuming a major portion of the CPU. I have had this problem before.

Having said that, if the phone is off and it happens then you have a battery problem. Not a big deal, they are made in the millions and some defects are to be expected. Get a new one.
    04-23-10 06:17 PM
    Everything is OEM, and I've switched the battery already with my brother already so I know for a fact it isn't the battery itself.
    04-24-10 07:21 AM
    If you have warranty, get it replaced. That's not normal.

04-24-10 08:04 AM
    What all apps are on the phone? Also, have you tried reinstalling the OS?

04-24-10 09:57 AM
    I took out the memory card but then it was still overheating. It's only when my battery died and the phone reset once I charged it again, everything was back to normal. Oddly enough my phone isn't overheating anymore and so far it's been running for over 12 hours since I last charged it.

Weird but I'm not complaining!

Thanks for the help though!
    04-25-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD