So a couple of days ago my berry just started to act super slow. Nothing responded except the roller ball. Battery pulls did nothing. I was pissed a little then I hooked it up to my computer and removed some apps using the app loader. I removed the I love blackberry app and a few others which I dont use a lot. Rebooted and it worked just fine again. I couldnt pin down the problem to a specific app since I removed at least 5 of them at once and I don't even remember the names to most of them.

Then earlier tonight my phone froze again, this time 100% frozen after running just fine minutes earlier. Again, battery pulls did nothing and when I reinserted the battery, it took anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to reboot, then I still dont have any control over it. I have removed all the apps from app loader and still, completely frozen.

The phone responds to desktop manager like normal, but I have no control over it using any buttons. The last changes I made to the berry was updating facebook, aim and gtalk apps a few days earlier, but nothing other than that.

I'd like to try and fix it without losing the service books on there because I don't have access to BIS and I had BBM and MMS working. Any ideas on how I can get my berry back in working order.
    06-21-09 04:24 AM
    Do you have an old backup on DM you could load and try?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 04:40 AM
    Just tried a backup from early this month, pretty much same issue, but button presses take upwards of 30 seconds to register

UPDATE: I changed the third party theme (took a long time) to the stock theme and rebooted, its a lot faster, but now a slight bit laggy compared to how it was working a week ago. For example using the roller ball might take up to a second to move a cursor or select a menu item when before it was practically instant. I only have core apps installed at this time so the phone is going to be limited to calling and browsing for a little while. At least I can make phone calls which is much better than before. Going to get some ZZZs and start reinstalling apps in the morning. And the service books seem to be intact so MMS and PINs still work!
    Last edited by jamestbrewer; 06-21-09 at 05:45 AM.
    06-21-09 05:27 AM
    Imagine that, a theme causing issues. No, never.

I know u don't want to, but I'd wipe the device with crackmem and reload.

06-21-09 07:50 AM
    i agree with lazerus on this one... do a wipe using crackmem or JL_cmder and reload the OS, then you can restore all your service books and such via a restore

PS:

if you dont have a data plan and use BBM and such because you have the service books... how are you NOT getting charged for the data?
    06-21-09 12:32 PM
    Take out the memory card sounds like it has errors. Has been a problem with these phones had the same issue. There is a website u go to. Ur carrier can give it to u microsoft something. In the meantime till u do that take out the card and enjot ur phone apps and all.

06-21-09 12:37 PM
    Take out the memory card sounds like it has errors. Has been a problem with these phones had the same issue. There is a website u go to. Ur carrier can give it to u microsoft something. In the meantime till u do that take out the card and enjot ur phone apps and all.

this makes NO sense whatso ever... the memory card has nothing to do with his... i'm sorry it doesnt
    06-21-09 12:43 PM
    It did with mine. Was doing the same thing urs is. Said the memory card had errors. Then call ur carrier and run it by tech support and c what they say then.

06-21-09 12:51 PM
    Right before I fell asleep, the phone crashed again, nothing but the rollerball responded. Ive had the memory card out since the last few battery pulls so that most likely isn't the issue. I guess im going to have to take lazerus' advice and wipe it. Hopefully I have the service books backed up properly.

As for using BBM without BIS, I got very lucky thanks to some very helpful TMo CSRs. I've discussed it in this thread.
    06-21-09 04:44 PM
    Well, I just inserted the battery since leaving it out for almost 12 hours, and the phone seems to be working fine. Im going to use it as is for the next day or so and then wipe and reinstall the OS. Have a big project due at 9am and already spent too much time messing with the phone
    06-21-09 06:15 PM
    OK, this is strange, my phone, sitting on a table 10 feet from me, just started deleting messages. It opened up the messages app, opened the first message, deleted and confirmed deletion all by itself. It got a whole week of messages before I even got to it. The only reason I knew it was going was because it opened an MMS with audio otherwise it may have kept going until all were deleted. I think it also tried to compose an email, but couldn't because I dont have any emails configured. Looks like some kind of malware
    06-21-09 10:05 PM
    seriously... its time to update your OS... wipe first and update.... now! lol
    06-21-09 11:32 PM
    Yeah, the reason why i didnt update before was because of the service book issue, but since i have to wipe anyways...
    06-22-09 12:08 AM
    well like i said, if you had done a back up you're service books will be backs up, and you can recover them either but doing a restore, or doing it in advance and just have the service books restored... but everything should automatically back up and restore during the upgrade process
    06-22-09 10:10 AM
    Sounds like water damage... my friends phone got wet.... he was able to get it running then a few months later similar issues....
    06-22-09 11:03 AM
    Sorry for the late reply, and thanks to lazerus and c_scheuer for their help in getting my berry back. Not sure where the problem was exactly, maybe the theme or an app.

I wiped the device using crackmem and reinstalled the stock OS. I couldn't get .250 to run, so I decided to just stick with the official TMo release. The service books installed automatically OTA so that turned out to be a non issue.

Might try out .206 but at this point I'm happy thats its working.
    06-30-09 09:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD