Hey guys,

I dont have a blackberry plan through my service provider (optus Aust.), however do have data services (GPRS/WAP) where in my old moto A1200 i was able to browse the net. Now got myself a the 8900 I want to do the same thing.

When i try browsing via the BB browser I get a error message ('an error occurred while fetching the requested page'). Now without the blackberry plains can i use the BB browser? or do I need a 3rd party browser (ie.OMini). Or can surfing the net be done at all without BIS/BES?

Or the error message is meant to tell me something else and potentially further config req.?

Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks in advance
    04-01-09 02:21 AM
    from what i know.. browsing through the BB browser will go through BIS.. but if you use 3rd party browser (opera, bolt, etc) uses the regular WAP/GPRS data.. i haven't tried it myself, but would be good to know if it actually can work. how about Gtalk, MSN, Gmail app, etc.. does it still work?
    04-01-09 02:37 AM
    You need to talk to yor carrier and ask them if what you wish to do is possible. It should be but they may need to do some things in order to enable blackberry.net for your phone. Also you may find that BIS comes free with the BlackBerry data plan. Mine did.
    04-01-09 04:37 AM
    ppl - just to report back and many thanks to the above feedbacks. I have installed OM and its working like a treat. So i can sum up, without bis/bes and just data ready from your service provider, you are able to use 3rdpty aps to browse on the net..
    thanks all again
    04-01-09 07:23 AM
    Only issues you will have is no Push email... and some of the Apps will not work correctly.... (I don't think the IM programs will work either)

otherwise have fun.
    04-01-09 09:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD