Hi all,

I just took my first steps into BB land with a 8900 Curve. I bought it 'nearly new', an unwanted Orange upgrade that has been unlocked to run on vodafone.

I can use the standard telephony functions fine, but I'm having a few issues.

1) Can I get rid of the Orange branding on startup and either go unbranded or switch to vodafone branding?

2) How do I add my personal gmail account to the device? Under email setup, I only get options to add an enterprise account.

3) Can you change what buttons appear on the home screen? I'm frustrated that you have to go into the main menu to access SMS!!

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    05-29-09 05:43 PM
    This link will help you with some of your ?'s BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
    05-29-09 05:55 PM
    Ok, ok, this is all getting a little complicated.

I never get phones from my network provider, I always take the price-plan discount options at upgrade time and buy nearly-new phones outright when I feel like a change. Previously I've had Nokia E-Series phones, no matter what network those phones used to be on, you can flash the firmware image, update the access point settings and be up and running in no time at all.

I've just migrated from a Nokia E71, on that I just had to tap in my various email account server details and it was up and running.

Can the BB not do direct IMAP/POP3 communication, do you have to use a "BIS" (or something like that)? I tried to register my BB with Vodafone but I get an error saying that the device belongs to another network, so I go into the advanced options and send a registration message, but nothing happens...

Why is this so much hassle?!
    05-29-09 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD