I was in Target this afternoon and I glanced down at my 8900, I had to do a double take when I saw that instead of the network saying "T-Mobile" it said "AT&T". I had about three bars. I checked my connections and indeed my phone was on the AT&T network. How is this possible? I've never seen any of my previous phones do this.

If I was to make a call or send a text message. Would I be charged extra for anything? When I got back to my car, it said "T-Mobile" again. So I'm not sure what the deal was.
    03-27-09 09:34 PM
    I think that is called roaming. When I drive to Vegas mine changes along the way too.
    03-27-09 10:17 PM
    Mine did that for a couple seconds a few months back. It was really weird.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 10:31 PM
    Thats roaming, and i dont believe the big carriers charge extra for roaming any more. Some of the big shopping centers, like wall-mart, and target have cell repeaters on the roof so that you get service in side the store. Like the wall-mart near my house has a ATT repeater on top, so i get a full att signal inside even tho i have t-mobile service.
    03-27-09 10:38 PM
    That's just means you were roaming on another carrier's towers. In this case, AT&T.
    03-27-09 10:38 PM
    Is it common for it to be interchangeable like that? I have visited this same Target a million times before and never seen this.

I'm just trying to figure out what causes a phone to go roaming? I'm not in a rural area or anything. I was dead in the middle of the city.
    03-27-09 11:09 PM
    so you can roam on another carrier, and still make calls and text. Would these calls and text count extra or just on your regular plan on tmobile?
    03-27-09 11:48 PM
    so you can roam on another carrier, and still make calls and text. Would these calls and text count extra or just on your regular plan on tmobile?
    Yes, that's what roaming means - you are using a carrier's network other than the one you prescribe to. The way you are charged for roaming depends on the specific plan you have.
    03-27-09 11:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD