04-17-09 03:27 PM
82 1234
tools
    It might also be that some where in your areas, an engineer might be working on the cell tower, It's happening a lot since T-Mobile is expanding there 3G network. Which means your not getting full edge capabilities. If you were to turn off your wifi, would EDGE be there or edge? I work for T-Mobile and my 8320 does it too, but a quick call to my engineer, and told me they are constantly working on enhancing the network, if you were to call customer service they can't pull it up in the system unless it's a major outage. But if your constantly on uma or edge and not UMA or EDGE, then you need look into further assistance.
    I can get EDGE just fine. it is just Capital UMA that is out. It seams like colorado users are having this problem. Anyone else following this with the same problem that is not in Colorado?
    04-15-09 01:36 PM
    That's what I mentioned back in the first few posts on this thread. I think there is an outage / issues with T-mobile's UMA in some areas right now.
    04-15-09 01:43 PM
    Edge is upper case. Just uma is affected

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 01:49 PM
    I'm in fort collins colorado...... And its not just the 8900 having issues. My friends pearl started this too!!!

Same place as me so I am going to go with an outage / T-Mobile network issue and not a problem with my phone....phew. Maybe I'll try and call T-Mobile again this afternoon and see if they can look if there is a known issue in the area.
    04-15-09 02:20 PM
    Edge is upper case. Just uma is affected

Same goes for me.
    04-15-09 02:20 PM
    just got off the Phone with T-mobile. It has been reported that Colorado, Wyoming New Mexico and i think one other state have a capital UMA outage. The rep i spoke with said it was JUST reported.

On a side note, any one else lose EDGE as well. I sounded like a fool on the phone b/c you have to get EDGE in order to get UMA and after shutting off Wifi on was only on GSM,
    04-15-09 02:28 PM
    Same place as me so I am going to go with an outage / T-Mobile network issue and not a problem with my phone....phew. Maybe I'll try and call T-Mobile again this afternoon and see if they can look if there is a known issue in the area.
    Actually, T-Mo wouldn't know if there's a problem with the network unless it's been reported by X amount of subscribers. If an engineer is working on a tower or an update/upgrade is in progress, a T-Mo rep won't be able to tell you that because they won't know. But as I'm seeing this problem from people located in Colorado and I have no issues here in Cincy, I'm thinking the network by you is being upgraded or worked on.
    04-15-09 02:31 PM
    just got off the Phone with T-mobile. It has been reported that Colorado, Wyoming New Mexico and i think one other state have a capital UMA outage. The rep i spoke with said it was JUST reported.

On a side note, any one else lose EDGE as well. I sounded like a fool on the phone b/c you have to get EDGE in order to get UMA and after shutting off Wifi on was only on GSM,
    mrtolles - You do not need an EDGE connection for UMA to work. You do need BIS added to your account but not an EDGE connection. In fact that is exactly what UMA is designed for, so that you can get your BIS features though WiFi when you do not have a connection to the cellular network directly (EDGE).
    04-15-09 02:33 PM

Fantastic...an answer. There ya go.
    04-15-09 02:33 PM
    Ok, since my last post (all of 5 minutes) I have got EDGE back. But i am still getting lowercase uma. Hopefully it is a t-mobile problem and it will be fixed soon.
    04-15-09 02:36 PM
    1. A mobile subscriber with a UMA-enabled, dual-mode handset moves within range of an unlicensed wireless network to which the handset is allowed to connect.
    2. Upon connecting, the handset contacts the UMA Network Controller (UNC) over the broadband IP access network to be authenticated and authorized to access GSM voice and GPRS data services via the unlicensed wireless network.
    3. If approved, the subscribers current location information stored in the core network is updated, and from that point on all mobile voice and data traffic is routed to the handset via the Unlicensed Mobile Access Network (UMAN) rather than the cellular radio access network (RAN).
    4. ROAMING: When a UMA-enabled subscriber moves outside the range of an unlicensed wireless network to which they are connected, the UNC and handset facilitate roaming back to the licensed outdoor network. This roaming process is completely transparent to the subscriber.
    5. HANDOVER: If a subscriber is on an active GSM voice call or GPRS data session when they come within range (or out of range) of an unlicensed wireless network, that voice call or data session can automatically handover between access networks with no discernable service interruption. Handovers are completely transparent to the subscriber.
    04-15-09 02:37 PM
    mrtolles - You do not need an EDGE connection for UMA to work. You do need BIS added to your account but not an EDGE connection. In fact that is exactly what UMA is designed for, so that you can get your BIS features though WiFi when you do not have a connection to the cellular network directly (EDGE).
    the Rep, (i know they don't know much) said that if you have lowercase edge, before connecting to wifi, then you will have lowercase uma. Just what she said. I could not move any further in trouble shooting b/c i could not even get edge to connect.
    04-15-09 02:40 PM
    The rep was wrong. The only time edge (lowercase) is related to uma (lowercase) is if the data is not working on your account. The only reason that is related is because both technologies connect your device to your account on the cellular provider's network. However they both use different methods for doing so.
    04-15-09 02:47 PM
    I figured she was wrong but you know how tech support is, if you can't prove one thing they stop trouble shooting.

I am hoping it is the outage though. I can set my BB to Mobile Network preferred and get around the uma problem for now but it has been a BIG hassle ever since i lost it.
    04-15-09 02:54 PM
    I am hoping it is the outage though. I can set my BB to Mobile Network preferred and get around the uma problem for now but it has been a BIG hassle ever since i lost it.
    Agreed! Thanks for calling and letting us know what they said.
    04-15-09 02:57 PM
    im having this problem as well lowercase uma tried everything suggested wats going on =[
    04-16-09 04:48 AM
    First, this has been a very informative thread... I don't have any of these issues, but found a lot of good info.

When I read one of the side threads linked early on I did find a something interesting by 3CISSBB:

Go into manage connections, then Wi-Fi options. Highlight your home conenction and select edit. UNCHECK the box that says 'allow inter-access point handover. This will prevent your phone from trying to connect to every signal it picks up. Also see this post by me that include settings on your router that can help make UMA perfect.
    I checked my settings and found I this box UNCHECKED... maybe that is why I don't have any problems... but I did not see that suggestion in this thread... maybe it's something to check.
    04-16-09 07:13 AM
    Thanks fatboy97, That was not in this thread but i do hope anyone in this thread with the problem did try 3CISSBB suggestions and did take a look at his UMA help in his signature.

Still no UMA for me. I will continue to call t-mobile about the problem until it is fixed. Please, every one do the same.
    04-16-09 10:20 AM
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I hope some of my advice here or in other threads provides users with some help for their issues. I have long been a Berry user so I try to put some of my knowledge and experience to good use helping all the great people here. My post count might not be 10,000, but I do pride myself on posting when it's something I can provide real, solid advice for.

Thanks again everyone!
    04-16-09 11:06 AM
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I hope some of my advice here or in other threads provides users with some help for their issues. I have long been a Berry user so I try to put some of my knowledge and experience to good use helping all the great people here. My post count might not be 10,000, but I do pride myself on posting when it's something I can provide real, solid advice for.

Thanks again everyone!
    Thank you for this information!!! Make sure you personally welcome every new member and you will have that 10,000 post count....hehehe
    04-16-09 02:43 PM
    Thank you for this information!!! Make sure you personally welcome every new member and you will have that 10,000 post count....hehehe
    Don't forget about the post that only say to SEARCH! lol just playing. You all should search. It's probably the some of the best advice giving on this site.
    04-16-09 02:51 PM
    Looks like uppercase UMA is back for me! Can anybody else report if they have theirs' back or not?
    04-17-09 02:59 AM
    Looks like colorado is back in action!!!!!!

04-17-09 09:06 AM
    Don't forget about the post that only say to SEARCH! lol just playing. You all should search. It's probably the some of the best advice giving on this site.
    hahahahaha.. funny thing is I am not the SEARCH KING...

*looks at aristile"

Not naming any names however!!!
    04-17-09 09:08 AM
    YES!!!! It's back!!!!! I'm so excited! The BB so was limited without it! Thanks for the Report drache713. I had Mobile Preferred so had to switch to see it!
    04-17-09 10:06 AM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD