04-17-09 03:27 PM
82 1234
tools
    I have QWest as my ISP, and the modem/router is a 2Wire brand, I'm not sure of the model number.
    04-15-09 10:50 AM
    I have QWest as my ISP, and the modem/router is a 2Wire brand, I'm not sure of the model number.
    The model number would be very helpful as I can look up the specs and manual online.
    04-15-09 10:57 AM
    I'm about 95% sure it's a 2Wire 2701HG-D
    04-15-09 11:00 AM
    I have also tried every thing i could to get UMA back. It was working just fine until probably 7 -10 days ago. I noticed it when i upgraded to 5.0, but i have since not been able to connect to UMA on .199 or .206. (and i miss 5.0 )

3CISSBB, I can not find port range forwarding on my (work) D-link 624 router. it is used as an access point, so i have DHCP disabled, FYI. Could the port range forwarding be called something different?

I am going to try a wipe and not restore from my back up to see if i can get it to work on a fresh device.
    04-15-09 11:01 AM
    2Wire doesn't seem to have a 2701HG-D model. They have a V and an E model, but no D.

As for mrtolles, I am looking up your router as well.
    04-15-09 11:07 AM
    2Wire doesn't seem to have a 2701HG-D model. They have a V and an E model, but no D.

As for mrtolles, I am looking up your router as well.
    Thanks. I have the same problem at home but will have to wait till i am there to try fixing that one. I have been thinking it was my OS and not my routers because it worked before, but after trying 3 different OS, i'm starting to think it is the blackberry but better to try the routers first.
    04-15-09 11:12 AM
    I think the 2701HG-D is one manufactured just for Qwest, I don't think you can purchase it as a seperate unit for retail purchase.
    04-15-09 11:13 AM
    I'm not having any luck finding info on either router. I'm not sure what the Port Range Forwarding might be called with D-Link or 2Wire. Maybe just look around the settings and see if you see something similar to the page and settings in the examples I posted for UMA setup.
    04-15-09 11:23 AM
    In the DLink, click on the Advanced tab. On the left of the screen click the Firewall option.

You should be able to open a range from there.

Last edited by 3CISSBB; 04-15-09 at 11:38 AM.
    04-15-09 11:34 AM
    Thanks anyways 3CISSBB. Searching, i found an acticle on t-mobile that says: (this was for the 8320, but it is about UMA)

It is possible to accidentally remove the Curve’s UMA capability by performing a normal step when switching from an old BlackBerry handheld to a new BlackBerry handheld: If you use BlackBerry Desktop Manager on your PC to back up the data and settings from an older BlackBerry handheld like a Pearl or an 8700, and then restore that data and settings to the Curve, then the Curve loses its UMA capability.

How to prevent the problem

If you need to back up an old BlackBerry handheld and restore to your new BlackBerry Curve, use one of the following to avoid removing the UMA capability:
    Backup the old BlackBerry handheld using Desktop Manager
    Selectively restore data from the backup:
    To selectively restore data from the backup, perform the following steps:
    1. Connect the BlackBerry handheld to the computer.
    2. Open Desktop Manager, and double-click Backup and Restore.
    3. Click Advanced.
    4. Click File, then Open, and then select the backup file you want.
    5. On the left side, press and hold the Shift button, and click to select all Desktop File Databases.
    6. On the left side, press and hold the Control button, and click to clear the following:
    Handheld Key Store
    Trusted Key Store
    7. Make sure those two databases are not highlighted, and then click the Right Arrow button. This will copy these databases onto the handheld.
    8. Once transfer is complete, close Backup and Restore, and then exit Desktop Manager

So yeah, i am going to wipe the device again but backup and restore per above steps. Since i lost my UMA on a upgrade, this makes perfect sense. Will report back as soon as possible.
    Last edited by mrtolles; 04-15-09 at 11:42 AM.
    04-15-09 11:37 AM
    In the DLink, click on the Advanced tab. On the left of the screen click the Firewall option.

You should be able to open a range from there.
    Hey! thanks again and again! I will try that if I don't get it back after my wipe. you have been VERY helpful.
    04-15-09 11:39 AM
    I might try that also, but I doubt that is the issue in my case anyways because I do show a uma symbol, just lowercase...and I had UMA working perfectly before without any upgrades or changes or anything like that.
    04-15-09 11:39 AM
    Great find mrtolles. I actually knew about the databases and individually saving them, I just never thought about the databases removing Wi-Fi functionality. Good find!
    04-15-09 11:40 AM
    I have tried all of the steps mentioned in these posts as well. I also tried all of the port forwarding on my router last night with no luck. I downgraded my OS from .206 to .199. I really don't think it is a router issue since it has been working fine for 2 months and I had an 8120 previously that worked without issue. I also called T-Mobile and they were unable to help so they transferred me to RIM and they tried like 2 things and then said it was not there problem and transferred me back to T-Mobile. I guess I will try a fresh OS install with any type of restore and see if that helps anything.

Thanks everyone for the help!
    04-15-09 11:47 AM
    Great find mrtolles. I actually knew about the databases and individually saving them, I just never thought about the databases removing Wi-Fi functionality. Good find!
    I was not upgrading from a older device but could there be some issue with these databases? What would happen if you went into the Advanced option under Backup and Restore and just cleared these database? I am not sure what they are or what they do so I don't want to blow up my device .
    04-15-09 11:54 AM
    I might try that also, but I doubt that is the issue in my case anyways because I do show a uma symbol, just lowercase...and I had UMA working perfectly before without any upgrades or changes or anything like that.
    I also have the lowercase uma but have lost UMA functionality so worth a try.
    04-15-09 11:56 AM
    I was not upgrading from a older device but could there be some issue with these databases? What would happen if you went into the Advanced option under Backup and Restore and just cleared these database? I am not sure what they are or what they do so I don't want to blow up my device .
    I do think that there could be a database issue. It is a possibility.
    04-15-09 11:59 AM
    mrtolles, I noticed that you are in Colorado? What area because I am in the Fort Collins area so maybe there is something with the T-Mobile coverage in the area? Just a thought....
    04-15-09 12:01 PM
    You might be onto something there! I'm in the Colorado Springs area...?
    04-15-09 12:03 PM
    I do think that there could be a database issue. It is a possibility.
    I'll be heading home for lunch in an hour so I think I'll create a backup and then clear these databases and see what happens.
    04-15-09 12:03 PM
    Colorado Springs... hmmmmm
    04-15-09 12:36 PM
    I have a 2wire as well and uma dropped to lower case a week ago. I followed all guidlines. Deleted and reinstalled. I've tried it all!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 01:04 PM
    I have a 2wire as well and uma dropped to lower case a week ago. I followed all guidlines. Deleted and reinstalled. I've tried it all!!!!

Where do you live? There are a few of us in Colorado with the problem and we are trying to figure out if it is regional or a problem with the Blackberry.

I have just wiped and reinstalled 5.0 in my BB,. ( i liked 5.0 BETA but thought the lack of UMA was due to it being beta) It did not fix the problem, but i am having more issues with the OS so i will go back to .206 and try yet one more time.
    04-15-09 01:12 PM
    Where do you live? There are a few of us in Colorado with the problem and we are trying to figure out if it is regional or a problem with the Blackberry.

I have just wiped and reinstalled 5.0 in my BB,. ( i liked 5.0 BETA but thought the lack of UMA was due to it being beta) It did not fix the problem, but i am having more issues with the OS so i will go back to .206 and try yet one more time.
    I'm in fort collins colorado...... And its not just the 8900 having issues. My friends pearl started this too!!!

04-15-09 01:31 PM
    It might also be that some where in your areas, an engineer might be working on the cell tower, It's happening a lot since T-Mobile is expanding there 3G network. Which means your not getting full edge capabilities. If you were to turn off your wifi, would EDGE be there or edge? I work for T-Mobile and my 8320 does it too, but a quick call to my engineer, and told me they are constantly working on enhancing the network, if you were to call customer service they can't pull it up in the system unless it's a major outage. But if your constantly on uma or edge and not UMA or EDGE, then you need look into further assistance.
    04-15-09 01:32 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD