04-17-09 04:27 PM
82 123 ...
tools
    Over the last couple of days my 8900 has been showing lowercase uma when I connect to wireless. It is happening both at home and another location I have connected to in the past. I have tried a battery pull, deleting and reconnecting to the router, register the Wi-Fi option under Host Routing Tables and nothing has seemed to help. I have now been on the phone with T-Mobile and RIM for over an hour and no one can seem to help me. Anyone have any suggestions? I upgraded my OS to .206 but I believe this problem started before when I was on .174.
    04-14-09 12:16 AM
    You probably just need to restart the router.
    04-14-09 12:26 AM
    You probably just need to restart the router.
    Sorry forgot to mention that I tried that as well plus it's happeningin multiple locations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-09 12:39 AM
    Do you have Data Service set to on?

Options > Mobile Network > Data Services = on
    04-14-09 12:42 AM
    Do you have Data Service set to on?

Options > Mobile Network > Data Services = on
    Yes, it is on. Some websites and data services still work but apps like Pandora, Nobex and
    Social Scope won't.

04-14-09 12:59 AM
    I have exactly the same problem. Uppercase UMA for several weeks then suddenly with no changes that I know of lowercase uma... Seems to be effecting my Google Sync as now it is complaining that the network settings don't allow it to sign in. (all other google products work and I have gone through every thread dealing with google sync to no avail.)
    04-14-09 01:46 AM
    Since both of you guys are with T-mobile, there may be an issue with your devices connecting to their servers. I know some users have reported the other day that they were having connection issues with T-mobile. Perhaps this is related to those same problems?
    04-14-09 01:50 AM
    I just noticed the same thing on mine, it is uma not UMA

I was having problems with Pandora and youtube today

also email has been acting weird with random delays in push email

at the moment however email is working, youtube is also working again

I am on .206
    04-14-09 02:07 AM
    I am having the same problem.
    Noticed it when I upgraded to 5.0.
    I am back on .206 now and still have lowercase uma.
    I can't connect to wap or Telmap navigator while on wifi.

Going back to .199 in the morning. Will report back.

04-14-09 03:03 AM
    Hi guys, I don't know why do you consider lowercase uma a problem? uma or UMA means you have WiFi connectivity, your WiFi icon should shine white indicating your BES/BIS traffic goes directly via WiFi, not via the uma/UMA tunnel. Do you experience any problems or is it just the lowercase that annoys you?

Cheers,
    Headworx Headworx
    04-14-09 03:37 AM
    I was under the impression that uma vs UMA was the same as edge vs EDGE
    04-14-09 04:00 AM
    Yes, technically it is... BUT WiFi usually takes care of your BIS/BES connection. So if WiFi is bright white, BIS/BES should work, no matter what the state of uma/UMA or edge/EDGE is. You should start to worry once your WiFi symbol goes gray. Then uppercase matters...
    04-14-09 04:08 AM
    Hi,

I had the same problem UMA changing to uma on its own.

Try this http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/so...estion-198939/ it worked for me.
    04-14-09 05:08 AM
    Hi guys, I don't know why do you consider lowercase uma a problem? uma or UMA means you have WiFi connectivity, your WiFi icon should shine white indicating your BES/BIS traffic goes directly via WiFi, not via the uma/UMA tunnel. Do you experience any problems or is it just the lowercase that annoys you?

Cheers,
    Headworx Headworx
    For me, while only connected uma with .206 or 5.0, i can not connect to wap, or my GPS program. I have to disable the wifi connection in order for programs to work. Not sure if it is a bug or a bad install of those OS, but downgrading to .199 now.
    04-14-09 10:41 AM
    Apps that previously worked no longer work when it switched to the lower case uma. Pandora, Nobex Radio, FMYLife, Social Scope are a few of the apps that no longer work when I am at home am connected to Wi-Fi.
    04-14-09 11:01 AM

Cheers,
    Headworx Headworx
    Yes, technically it is... BUT WiFi usually takes care of your BIS/BES connection. So if WiFi is bright white, BIS/BES should work, no matter what the state of uma/UMA or edge/EDGE is. You should start to worry once your WiFi symbol goes gray. Then uppercase matters...
    This is bad information that Headworx is telling you guys. BIS/BES does not just "go over WiFi" like he is suggesting. The way you get BIS/BES over WiFi is your phone connects to your carrier's servers through a secure tunnel over the Internet. This is what UMA is all about. When the secure tunnel is connected then you get uma/UMA. Just because you are connected to WiFi does not mean you are also going to get UMA to work. The network settings have to be correct, your device needs to be a UMA device and also the carrier needs to support UMA.

uma (lowercase) = phone over WiFi only, no BIS/BES data
    UMA (uppercase) = phone and BIS/BES data over WiFi
    04-14-09 11:39 AM
    uma = You are connected to uma for phone calls but do not have any connection to the BlackBerry network.
    You can use the device to: send and receive text messages and picture messages using uma instead of a mobile network connection. You will not be able to send or receive e-mail messages.

UMA = You are connected to UMA for phone calls and connected to the BlackBerry network through either Wi-Fi only or UMA.
    You can use the device to: send and receive e-mail messages, PIN messages, text messages, picture messages, and use the browser using UMA instead of a mobile network connection.

EDGE = You are connected to the BlackBerry network.
    You can use the device to: send and receive e-mails, PIN messages, text messages, picture messages, and use the browser with a high-speed data connection.

GPRS = You are connected to the BlackBerry network.
    You can use the device to: send and receive e-mails, PIN messages, text messages, picture messages, and use the browser.

gprs, edge, GSM = You are connected to the T-Mobile network, but not to the BlackBerry network.
    You can use the phone and send and receive text messages and picture messages.
    04-14-09 12:39 PM
    the problem for small uma is that i do not think you can get WAP sites....I know when my uma craps out on me I can not connect to crackberry on the BB browser..I know I need to configure my modem for uma so I wont have this issue... I just have not gotten around to it yet.
    04-14-09 12:45 PM
    Now see I am confused now! I'm connected to wifi and had the same uma icon so I checked my services status.
    Mobile voice- wifi(uma) , BIS- wifi, BES- wifi (don't have BES), mobile network- uma, network provider-tmobile.

So I turned off wifi and let it connect to EDGE then turned wifi back on. Now I have UMA instead of uma.

04-15-09 12:36 AM
    Mine is back to UMA

I did nothing it fixed itself
    04-15-09 01:27 AM
    My 8900 has had the same problem for about a week now...I have tried pulling the battery and power cycling the phone and my router, I have done a site survey to make sure that there are no other networks on the same channel interferring, i have deleted and re-setup the network on my phone, I have tried it on different routers, I have verified my APN settings are correct with the stock epc.tmobile.com, I have turned my wi-fi connection off and back on, I have verified data services is turned on under mobile network settings, I have resent the service books (of course I have to do this with wi-fi turned off cause otherwise it will say that it has to have a valid data connection), I have verified I have a blackberry data plan...it was working perfectly up until just last week, and now the uma letters are all lowercase when they were uppercase previously. EDGE works fine and is in all caps and I can do everything on EDGE fine, but I hop onto uma and it's all lowercase and some things work and some don't. The t-mobile browser doesn't work since it shows the lowercase uma icon instead of the wi-fi connection like the hotspot browser or internet browser does, Viigo won't update my RSS feeds, I can't send any e-mails (this is on uma or over EDGE), my GMail application only works on edge and not on uma saying there is no valid data connection or something like that, Pandora doesn't work, Google sync doesnt work...I'm kinda clueless as to what's going on or how to fix it, HELP!
    Last edited by drache713; 04-15-09 at 11:14 AM.
    04-15-09 09:19 AM
    I have tmobile same problems . I called tmobile and they cant fix it .We have tried everything . I also got a new SIM and tried my old 8320 still not working .
    04-15-09 10:23 AM
    Try reading the setup guide in my sig called UMA setup. I have never had a UMA problem. Follow the directions and you should be set.

One note. There are so many things that can interfere with your Wi-Fi. The microwave in the kitchen, cordless phones (whether they are on the same frequency or not), neighbors and their phones, power lines close to your position etc.....
    04-15-09 11:35 AM
    Your guide was actually one of the things I went through also, and I did everything I could. My wi-fi network has allow inter-access point handover unchecked, and I tried doing all the other stuff but I could not find access or the correct place to edit that type of information with my router. But that still wouldn't explain why the UMA worked perfectly before and then crashed suddenly out of nowhere
    04-15-09 11:41 AM
    What brand of router do you have? Do you have anything in or around your place that might cause interference? I agree that if it worked before it should work now. That is very odd. I'd love to try and help you get to the root cause of it and fix it.
    04-15-09 11:44 AM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD