Has anyone gone from a iphone 3g to the ATT 8900, I just sold my iphone and i think im going to go back to the blackberry 8900 on ATT, The only reason i am hesitant is the lack of 3g on it....Do you think it will really make a difference...opinions please.
    05-31-09 01:03 PM
    go to an ATT store use the phone and form your own opinion
    life went on just fine when 3G wasnt around
    when i had my trusty 8310 without 3G i still managed to stay connected..basically what i'm trying to say is that 3G is not now and was never NEEDED.....of course its very nice to have
    Last edited by giantfan30; 05-31-09 at 01:16 PM.
    05-31-09 01:07 PM
    It made a difference for me.

I have had both devices and the lack of 3g as well as the size being too small led me to sell it. To me, it's either the iPhone or Bold. For you it may be different.

The difference of 3g vs EDGE (when you're not in wifi) shows mostly when using 3rd party apps.

Facebook/MySpace pics load up a lot faster on 3G IMO. This is the same for a lot of apps.
    You will also lose the ability to do voice & data at the same time (unless on wifi)
    05-31-09 01:10 PM
    Since you are asking this question on a Blackberry forum I'm sure you will get the plenty of answers... but if you need 3G you might look at the Bold... and then again you might want to look at the Onyz that will coming out later this year, which will be (to all accounts) a new 3G Blackberry with a lot of the 8900 characteristics, but just a little bigger, but still smaller than the Bold.
    05-31-09 01:11 PM
    thanks everybody....i think im going to give the 8900 a try...
    05-31-09 01:46 PM
    go to an ATT store use the phone and form your own opinion
    life went on just fine when 3G wasnt around
    when i had my trusty 8310 without 3G i still managed to stay connected..basically what i'm trying to say is that 3G is not now and was never NEEDED.....of course its very nice to have
    life also went on fine when on only dial up was around and no broadband...no offense but that's just a stupid thing to say as it can apply to so many things in life...i like the quote in your signature by the way.
    05-31-09 03:14 PM
    I'm using ATT with Edge (on Wifi) and its going great. I haven't tried the apps alone yet.
    05-31-09 03:27 PM
    I personally don't notice a difference with 3g other than maybe things being quicker by a couple seconds. I personally stick with my 8900 I still love my iphone, but the 8900 just seems to work out better for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 04:36 PM
    I have both. The 8900 is a neat BB and when I'm home I'm connected to UMA, but to be honest there are times when I don't get a signal outside, especially in restaurants, etc. where there's no wi-fi. I always get connected with my iphone.
    05-31-09 05:27 PM
    life also went on fine when on only dial up was around and no broadband...no offense but that's just a stupid thing to say as it can apply to so many things in life...i like the quote in your signature by the way.
    so says the dude with an 8900 as his phone... SMH
    how is your non 3G phone working?
    06-01-09 09:16 PM
    It made a difference for me.

I have had both devices and the lack of 3g as well as the size being too small led me to sell it. To me, it's either the iPhone or Bold. For you it may be different.

The difference of 3g vs EDGE (when you're not in wifi) shows mostly when using 3rd party apps.

Facebook/MySpace pics load up a lot faster on 3G IMO. This is the same for a lot of apps.
    You will also lose the ability to do voice & data at the same time (unless on wifi)
    Yeah it made me change back to my Iphone, the service on a 3G device is better than EDGE
    06-01-09 09:37 PM
    Yeah it made me change back to my Iphone, the service on a 3G device is better than EDGE
    when you say service...do you mean just internet/web browsing, or overall service(calls, etc.) I still haven't purchased the 8900 yet, im still doing my research.. web browsing really isn't that important to me on my phone. But i'm wondering if i should just get another iphone, or get the 8900 now, and then upgrade when the onyx comes out?
    06-01-09 10:12 PM
    i switched from the iphone to the 8900 and do not miss the 3g at all. Opera mini on edge is way faster than safari on 3g.
    06-01-09 11:48 PM
    I think the best combination is 8900 and an ipod touch.

06-02-09 07:47 AM
    i switched from the iphone to the 8900 and do not miss the 3g at all. Opera mini on edge is way faster than safari on 3g.
    Yeah om may be faster but on large sites with lots of pictures om will only give u a few and rest are replaced by colored boxes. ..but back to original question about 3g vs edge,I must sayit doesnt really make a difference

06-02-09 03:09 PM
    Its really not the speed at this point if we r talking about BB browsers. Could be 4g and our BB would still have problems processing it. That's why there isn't much of a difference between Bold and 8900 browsing capabilities. Yes 3g is better but what good is it if speed isn't processed correctly

Last edited by rw6497; 06-02-09 at 04:40 PM.
    06-02-09 04:31 PM
    bolt also gives you full browsing at a faster speed than the iphone 3g.
    06-02-09 04:40 PM
    I think the best combination is 8900 and an ipod touch.

you read my mind....think im going tomorrow to get the 8900 and a ipod touch, the convenience of the ipod component is the only thing i really miss on the iphone (plus with the touch i can still use all my apps)
    06-02-09 06:50 PM
    Has anyone gone from a iphone 3g to the ATT 8900, I just sold my iphone and i think im going to go back to the blackberry 8900 on ATT, The only reason i am hesitant is the lack of 3g on it....Do you think it will really make a difference...opinions please.
    I sold my iPhone 3G on the Thursday before the 8900 was released for AT&T...I ordered my 8900 Thursday before AT&T released the 8900...I have looked back...at least not too far back The thing I miss the most are the apps and the app store, lets face it the blackberry app store SUCKS! And to answer your question, no, I did not notice any dramatic difference without having 3G.
    06-03-09 12:24 AM
    made the jump today...finally got the 8900, very pleased. Really cant tell the difference from the 3g on the iphone from the EDGE on 8900..thanks everyone for the feedback.
    06-04-09 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD