12-12-08 06:25 PM
52 123
tools
    Hey guys, I just bought the 8900 unlocked for T-Mobile from TN Traders. This is actually my first blackberry. I have not received the phone yet but the guy told me that I could basically just put the sim card in and it will work perfectly. The question I have is how should I order the blackberry data plan from T-Mobile. Should I call them ahead of time, say tomorrow and just sign up so its ready to go when the phone arrives? Should I tell them that I just got an unlocked 8900? Can I do it on my online account? Any information would be greatly appreciated since I am sort of a newbie at this. Oh and when I get the phone I will be sure to post a review of how this works on T-Mobile USA.
    12-11-08 02:18 AM
    I'd call TMO as soon as you have the IMEI and ESN for the phone (or is it one or the other for a GSM phone). TMO will need the details to add it to their network. As long as your sim card is good, you should be good to go.

Enjoy your new phone!
    12-11-08 02:49 AM
    I'd call TMO as soon as you have the IMEI and ESN for the phone (or is it one or the other for a GSM phone). TMO will need the details to add it to their network. As long as your sim card is good, you should be good to go.

Enjoy your new phone!
    Can I just add the $40 BIS service to my account, put the sim card in and use it normally? Is it very necessary that I give them the IMEI and ESN? SN Traders told me that once I put the sim card in my phone everything will work perfectly. (He wasn't sure about UMA though but thats not so important for me anyways)
    Last edited by sadelb; 12-11-08 at 03:16 AM.
    12-11-08 03:10 AM
    You should sign up for the data plan ahead of time since they say it could take up to 24 to 48 hours (usually sooner) for it to get set up. Once you get the unlocked phone you should be able to drop in the sim and go! Sometimes you may get some quirky things happen but Tmo reps should be able to walk you through some configurations.
    12-11-08 03:22 AM
    All you need is your SIM. You dont need to call T-Mobile with your ESN/IMEI number to activate your phone to the network, their not a CDMA carrier :P True what was said above, create your BIS account ASP.
    12-11-08 07:11 AM
    I would like to find out if UMA works on the TMO network with Roger's unlocked 8900. Also, why are you paying $40 for BIS its $20.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by GT; 12-11-08 at 07:16 PM.
    12-11-08 08:37 AM
    Hey guys, I just bought the 8900 unlocked for T-Mobile from TN Traders. This is actually my first blackberry. I have not received the phone yet but the guy told me that I could basically just put the sim card in and it will work perfectly. The question I have is how should I order the blackberry data plan from T-Mobile. Should I call them ahead of time, say tomorrow and just sign up so its ready to go when the phone arrives? Should I tell them that I just got an unlocked 8900? Can I do it on my online account? Any information would be greatly appreciated since I am sort of a newbie at this. Oh and when I get the phone I will be sure to post a review of how this works on T-Mobile USA.
    I hope you didnt end up paying too much, TMO is supposedly dropping it this month. Guess that price all depends on upgrade eligibility though. Anyways, I hope you enjoy your new phone and keep us posted and dont forget pics!
    12-11-08 09:55 AM
    Just call T-mobile and add the $20 BIS unlimited Blackberry plan to your voice account and then when you go to setup your email you will need to put your IMEI # in so your email can be directed properly. Service books likely should be an issue since T-mo should be releasing this phone next week (I hope!). UMA should work fine as it is a capability build into the phone depending on the carrier SIM card you put in it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 10:00 AM
    Service books likely should be an issue since T-mo should be releasing this phone next week (I hope!).
    According to who/what information are T-Mobile releasing the 8900 in December?

Thanks!
    12-11-08 10:39 AM
    ^^ I dont think anyone makes that claim. They are releasing it in late January. (25th or 27th IIRC from BB214's info)

AT&T is expected to release it in late December, not T-Mobile.

RE UMA: Do not count on being able to use any carriers UMA with a non branded device. There have been many people on this forum who have failed to do so with older devices. I believe the consensus was that UMA compatibility was determined at the firmware level and just replacing the OS was not enough to allow one to use UMA on a non carrier branded phone.
    12-11-08 11:03 AM
    I am on the T-Mobile website right now and it says that the T-Mobile BIS blackberry plan is $39.99. Where did you guys see it for $20.00? Unless the price recently went up. Here is the link. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Unsupported Browser
    12-11-08 12:12 PM
    I think that is the data plan only price. I pay $20/month for BIS with my T-mobile voice plan.
    12-11-08 12:23 PM
    Would the 8900 work on the Verizon network? If so my curve is going back.
    12-11-08 12:25 PM
    no sam it would not gsm phones cannot work on cdma
    12-11-08 12:28 PM
    no sam it would not gsm phones cannot work on cdma

DAMN! No serious DAMN!
    12-11-08 12:39 PM
    I am on the T-Mobile website right now and it says that the T-Mobile BIS blackberry plan is $39.99. Where did you guys see it for $20.00? Unless the price recently went up. Here is the link. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Unsupported Browser
    What you are looking at is the BlackBerry data plan which is different from the BIS "service". Services are for existing customers who can just add the BIS on a monthly basis. Go into the 'Services' section and then check out the email and internet services..there you'll see your BIS charge. It is now $24.99 with 400 texts included.
    12-11-08 12:43 PM
    Does T-Mobile support the 8900 yet??

You may need to follow these steps when you get your 8900 in order for the DATA (browser, etc.) to work on it.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...evised-100324/

I may be wrong though.
    12-11-08 12:59 PM
    What you are looking at is the BlackBerry data plan which is different from the BIS "service". Services are for existing customers who can just add the BIS on a monthly basis. Go into the 'Services' section and then check out the email and internet services..there you'll see your BIS charge. It is now $24.99 with 400 texts included.
    Hey thanks for that... I already have an unlimited text message plan so I guess the texts aren't that important unless its a different type of text message they are talking about??? Oh and as for the other question about everything working on T-Mobile; that I believe was just for the bold because T-Mobile isnt getting the Bold. The guy at SN Traders said everything will work 100% without having to do configurations. Can anybody confirm or deny this?
    12-11-08 01:11 PM
    Hey thanks for that... I already have an unlimited text message plan so I guess the texts aren't that important unless its a different type of text message they are talking about??? Oh and as for the other question about everything working on T-Mobile; that I believe was just for the bold because T-Mobile isnt getting the Bold. The guy at SN Traders said everything will work 100% without having to do configurations. Can anybody confirm or deny this?
    Its not a different type of text message. You will still have to pay $24.99 anyway so might as well remove your unlimited text service (save those $20) and replace it with this one...of course thats if 400 texts are enough for you.

As for the latter part...I dont think it should be a problem but you can confirm that for us now that you have already ordered the device
    12-11-08 01:41 PM

Unsupported Browser
    Current price is $25/month for unlimited BIS email, data, 400 SMS or MMS and unlimited tethering.

Unsupported Browser
    12-11-08 02:09 PM
    Current price is $25/month for unlimited BIS email, data, 400 SMS or MMS and unlimited tethering.

Unsupported Browser
    Thanks! Since I have unlimited text messages now for $19.99 I might as well cancel that and pick up the unlimited BIS plan for $34.99.. Seems like a much better option. I'll call them and find out the situation.
    12-11-08 02:33 PM
    Thanks! Since I have unlimited text messages now for $19.99 I might as well cancel that and pick up the unlimited BIS plan for $34.99.. Seems like a much better option. I'll call them and find out the situation.
    Yeah, that is the way to go.

If you dont currently have a t-mo BB or contract (I couldnt tell from your post) you might also look into setting up your new account for the 8900 as flexpay. After all, if you are bringing your own hardware and not getting anything from them why should you sign a contract?
    12-11-08 03:43 PM
    Yeah, that is the way to go.

If you dont currently have a t-mo BB or contract (I couldnt tell from your post) you might also look into setting up your new account for the 8900 as flexpay. After all, if you are bringing your own hardware and not getting anything from them why should you sign a contract?
    Smart cookie
    Don't get tied into a contract unless you have to.
    12-11-08 03:47 PM
    hmm

i'd rather wait the month

but now we'll be expecting your review

so get to it

12-11-08 05:19 PM
    tmo changed the BB plans to now automatically include the text stuff that used to be separate.

The $34.99 plan is basically the $20 unlimited data and unlimited text plans rolled into one simple charge on the bill.
    12-11-08 06:44 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD