Ever since I got the phone my phone is working great with the service (including data). Until last morning around 4am when my EDGE network went into GSM. I thought it was only my phone but it happen to all my familiy cell also, and keep in mind, they are not in the same plan as me but they also have Tmobile. So I was like WTF. I waited till around 11am to see if it would change back but it didn't. So I called 611, and I was literally on the phone with a BB tech for almost 2 hrs! going over the basic battery pull to sim pull to them trying to find outages in the area and etc. But everything was working correctly. No towers has any outage in my area from their system. So I issued a service request for the engineers to come out and find out what's wrong. Well, Today is the next day and I am still on GSM. and it's pissing me off because I am paying for their data services and I am not getting any DATA! What do you guys think I should do?

Oh yea, and when I literally drive like couple blocks down, I get EDGE network back, but when I go back to where I reside, I am back to GSM.

Any suggestion? Thanks
    03-08-09 04:47 PM
    It is prob an outage or some other radio interfering with your service. As for "I am paying for data service" when I signed up I did not see anything that said I woulld have 24/7 edge service everywhere I go. Let them see what is going on and be patient

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 04:54 PM
    I was on the phone yesterday with the manager in charged off BB tech for almost 2 hours and he went over the tower outage and radios frequency telling me everything is working fine and how it should be. I guess I have to wait or somehow get some credits for the lost business that I do over my phone.
    03-08-09 04:59 PM
    Ever since I got the phone my phone is working great with the service (including data). Until last morning around 4am when my EDGE network went into GSM. I thought it was only my phone but it happen to all my familiy cell also, and keep in mind, they are not in the same plan as me but they also have Tmobile. So I was like WTF. I waited till around 11am to see if it would change back but it didn't. So I called 611, and I was literally on the phone with a BB tech for almost 2 hrs! going over the basic battery pull to sim pull to them trying to find outages in the area and etc. But everything was working correctly. No towers has any outage in my area from their system. So I issued a service request for the engineers to come out and find out what's wrong. Well, Today is the next day and I am still on GSM. and it's pissing me off because I am paying for their data services and I am not getting any DATA! What do you guys think I should do?

Oh yea, and when I literally drive like couple blocks down, I get EDGE network back, but when I go back to where I reside, I am back to GSM.

Any suggestion? Thanks
    Hey im having the same exact issue. This all started last week Thursday. I am unable to receive data over EDGE. Im always switching between GSM and edge. I also receive EDGE when driving a few blocks down. I have replaced the sim, done all trouble shooting, battery pulls, etc. I even got a $15 dollar credit from a CSR for all the inconsistency between the reps and because when i initially filed my trouble ticket, the rep never transferred me to tmo engineer, so my ticket never was never worked on until i called back to check the status and finally transferred. I am also awaiting a response from TMOs engineers. The thing is, ive had the phone since 2/9 and i was not having any types of data issues inside of my apt until my phone went into SOS mode Monday of last week and i needed to replace the sim. Since doing so, i am now having data issues as of lately. Im in the panhandle in Tallahassee, FL. Its funny that were both having the same issues. Per TMO, all looks fine in my account and on their end, so i just have to wait and see what the results are per the engineers. keep me posted on your EDGE data status.. would like to know if its the network or the device itself or what,......im just as irritated as u.
    Last edited by IAMKING; 03-08-09 at 05:34 PM.
    03-08-09 05:28 PM
    Something similar happened to me a few months back. Unfortunately, all you can do is wait for EDGE to come back. I did a few battery pulls and got it back a few hours later.
    03-08-09 06:04 PM
    I have the same issue but its just that the T-Mobile service is a little messed up where Im at...its almost back to normal now...so I hope its completely normal by tomorrow
    03-08-09 06:37 PM
    Try changing the TCP/IP APN to wap.voicestream.com this worked for me I had same problem
    I

03-08-09 06:40 PM
    Try changing the TCP/IP APN to wap.voicestream.com this worked for me I had same problem
    I

trying that now, thanks. Doing a batt pull also, because after changing it still shows GSM. Im curious what may have caused this to several 8900 tmo users. I just wanna be able to use bb messanger and get my emails like i used too.

*Edit: ok that did not work for me after changing the TCP to wap.voicestream.com and a batt pull. Still showing GSM after disconnecting and reconnecting to the tmo network.
    Last edited by IAMKING; 03-08-09 at 06:57 PM.
    03-08-09 06:54 PM
    Since you say this happened to you and your family then it definitely is related to your carrier's service, regardless what the Engineers were telling you.
    03-08-09 06:59 PM
    I had this happen to me in Denver, both me and my girlfriends BB was not working and we got GPRS and edge network. NOT EDGE and no BIS. I called in a couple days complaining and after a couple engineers one told me they were working on releasing t-mo 3G signal and upgrading towers. So maybe this is going on for alot of others in major cities. but this is my shared experience.
    03-08-09 07:03 PM
    Yea, waiting for the engineers to give me a call or text saying they have dispatch the service request. I am at work right now so I have data, I'm going to be home in a couple hours and see if GSM is still showing up or notm

03-08-09 07:51 PM
    What city is the OP in?

I had this happen to me in Savannah, GA on November 4, 2008. And it took until last month for an engineer to admit to me that they had lost a tower due to some land being cleared.

They said they had to alter the azimuth of an existing tower to try and make up for the coverage of the lost tower.

The service in my area has finally gotten somewhat better in the last week. But from November 4, 2008 to now is a very long time to wait for service to improve.

I still consider T-Mobile to be quite a value for the services provided when compared to the cost of other carriers.

It's interesting to me that the OP claimed they had no service with the GSM indicator, displayed instead of EDGE. I have ussually had all of my services when GSM is displayed. The only real difference is Tethered Browsing sucks when not on a decent EDGE signal.
    03-08-09 09:45 PM
    This is in Santa Ana in Southern California. So I just texted my sister that is at home and we are still currently under the GSM network. So looks like I won't have data once I get home from work. This is literally sad considering I can walk a couple blocks away from my house and all of a sudden I received a EDGE network.

My EDGE network worked fine ever since I got the phone on 2/11 till two days ago.
    03-08-09 10:32 PM
    I would give T-mobile another call, and make sure they know that all T-mobile devices at your residence are having the same issue and it is not just your phone. A different rep will probably be more helpful, too. Some know more than others.
    03-08-09 10:48 PM
    I would like to give them another call, but I also don't want to be a D*ck about it since they know that I've called them 3x in the past two days because of their call logs and I have talked to 4 diff rep including 2 BB tech manager in charged during that time. I am getting the same answer. From their system, all towers in my area are working fine and they already know about other people in my area/household are having the same problem too. I hope that service request that I requested should be done by tomorrow night considering it's Sunday and they probably don't work today. But thanks for the input.
    03-08-09 11:01 PM
    I can tell you from experience that it is normally 48hrs (2 business Days) for the tech to make out out to the local tower and check. I had this issue once and it was slightly misaligned antenna.
    03-08-09 11:28 PM
    That's good news if it takes only two days and not months... to fix the problem.
    03-09-09 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD