So, my hospital/graduate school migrated their email from Novell Groupwise to Microsoft Outlook today. I had never even bothered going through my IT department before to get my school email......I simply had a rule in Novell to forward all of my email to a gmail account, and it worked fine.

Today we migrated to Microsoft Outlook/Exchange, and apparently the system is more secure and won't allow forwarding to another email account. I attend graduate school at a hospital, and even though I have absolutely no clinical access, am being told that forwarding email to oneself is a HIPPA violation by IT. They also apparently are not offering support for Blackberrys right now....or the Iphone for that matter. They said they only support Palm??? There is apparently a blackberry test group, but IT told me they have no idea if and when they will support the device. I have tried to log on through the regular browser and Opera Mini, and neither will allow me to even access the system via our regular web address.

Is there any way around this? I literally now have no access to my work email via push from my phone, and can't even access it from either of the browsers I have on my phone. Any ideas?
    07-07-09 12:51 PM
    Well HIPAA and PII concerns are very much a reality in this case. That being said, have you tried using the BIS setup to add to your BlackBerry? BlackBerry Internet Service is the site to set that up.
    07-07-09 12:55 PM
    Yeah, I have tried to set it up through the device, and since I don't have the address of the email server, it is a no go. I called our IS department, and they won't give out the server address, so I assume I won't be able to set it up via that route.
    07-07-09 12:57 PM
    Then I would let it go for now. They obviously have tried to block it for a reason, its best to respect that in most cases.
    07-07-09 12:59 PM
    Yeah, that sucks. We just switched to Exhange last week, but I was able to set mine up through BIS using the web address. It sounds like with the privacy concerns, you are out of luck.
    07-07-09 01:14 PM
    We have a web address for accessing when you are outside our intranet, but when I attempt the set up using this with the BIS, it doesn't work.
    07-07-09 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD