Hello everybody,

first of all I would like to apologize for any english mistakes I'm going to make in the following lines (I'm not a native speaker ;-) ).

As you can see in my thread title, the decision in buying my first BB lies ahead. Two days ago I had the chance to test them a little bit and the handling is a nice refreshment in comparision to my so dissapointing Nokia E50 (2,5 years old) or better said: I absolutely love it .
    So the "only" decision I have to make is whether I'm buying the small 8120 Pearl or the 8900 Curve. So I'm hoping that you as the more experienced users could help me. The price difference between them lies in the area of 50 , for a new 8120 and a probably slightly used 8900 (or also new if the prices are falling even more). First I would like to define my thoughts about the two devices.

Pearl 8120:
    Better Formfactor for me, but my biggest concern is the fact, that I'm actually buying an old phone. I only saw it with this angled font (hope you understand what I mean) of the obviously older Firmwares. I saw that recently a newer version has been released: 4.5.xxx . Does this one cause the nicer font one can see at the current devices?
    What about the Wifi-Experience? Is it ok for a bit of browsing?
    I'm a bit dissapointed that the Pearl doesn't get the OS 4.6 so far as the Flip for example. I think I'm okay with the suretype-keyboard.
    What about the future software-support? I read that BB also overhauls the very old firmwares, but are there interesting apps for this phone?

Curve 8900:
    First thoughts: what a screen, what a bright und colourful display . The handling is a bit better (for example the trackball) in comparison to the pearl in my opinion. I tried some internetactivities and with this screen its very entertaining although the speed via Wi-Fi wasn't exactly what one would call astonishing. What I really like about it is the fact, that for this newer device some nice apps exist or will come up. Blackberry is much more present in Germany since the last 6 months. Am I right with my speculation that there are going to be more additions in comparison to the pearl?
    The keyboard is ok, but not perfect for my big hands. With some experience its going to be fine I think.
    The form could be a bit slimmer, but I think that it's ok for wearing it in the pocket of my pants or am I mistaking?

So the assignment for my phone is SMS, phone, Email-query via Wi-Fi @ home and in the university and some Games or any other funny apps.

I think that the curve can cover some more activities one can do with a phone, but I'm not sure if the Pearl is probably enough Blackberry I need in my life.

So, thats a lot of text for a first thread, but I think it was necessary to write down all my thoughts about the theme.
    I hope you can help me in my decision and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Greetz, Mackie
    06-01-09 05:39 PM
    Hello everybody,

first of all I would like to apologize for any english mistakes I'm going to make in the following lines (I'm not a native speaker ;-) ).

As you can see in my thread title, the decision in buying my first BB lies ahead. Two days ago I had the chance to test them a little bit and the handling is a nice refreshment in comparision to my so dissapointing Nokia E50 (2,5 years old) or better said: I absolutely love it .
    So the "only" decision I have to make is whether I'm buying the small 8120 Pearl or the 8900 Curve. So I'm hoping that you as the more experienced users could help me. The price difference between them lies in the area of 50 , for a new 8120 and a probably slightly used 8900 (or also new if the prices are falling even more). First I would like to define my thoughts about the two devices.

Pearl 8120:
    Better Formfactor for me, but my biggest concern is the fact, that I'm actually buying an old phone. I only saw it with this angled font (hope you understand what I mean) of the obviously older Firmwares. I saw that recently a newer version has been released: 4.5.xxx . Does this one cause the nicer font one can see at the current devices?
    What about the Wifi-Experience? Is it ok for a bit of browsing?
    I'm a bit dissapointed that the Pearl doesn't get the OS 4.6 so far as the Flip for example. I think I'm okay with the suretype-keyboard.
    What about the future software-support? I read that BB also overhauls the very old firmwares, but are there interesting apps for this phone?

Curve 8900:
    First thoughts: what a screen, what a bright und colourful display . The handling is a bit better (for example the trackball) in comparison to the pearl in my opinion. I tried some internetactivities and with this screen its very entertaining although the speed via Wi-Fi wasn't exactly what one would call astonishing. What I really like about it is the fact, that for this newer device some nice apps exist or will come up. Blackberry is much more present in Germany since the last 6 months. Am I right with my speculation that there are going to be more additions in comparison to the pearl?
    The keyboard is ok, but not perfect for my big hands. With some experience its going to be fine I think.
    The form could be a bit slimmer, but I think that it's ok for wearing it in the pocket of my pants or am I mistaking?

So the assignment for my phone is SMS, phone, Email-query via Wi-Fi @ home and in the university and some Games or any other funny apps.

I think that the curve can cover some more activities one can do with a phone, but I'm not sure if the Pearl is probably enough Blackberry I need in my life.

So, thats a lot of text for a first thread, but I think it was necessary to write down all my thoughts about the theme.
    I hope you can help me in my decision and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Greetz, Mackie

honestly.. I would suggest the curve

simply because its quit a bit nicer to have a full keyboard.. If size is a major concern then the pearl will get the job done. The pearl has less memory for apps then the 8900 the 8900 actually has quite a bit more space..

you wont be sorry with a 8900. The pearl is for exactly what its aimed at. a low cost entry level smartphone you will also get with it the low cost entry level device
    06-01-09 05:47 PM
    My first Blackberry was an 8120; I liked it as a first Blackberry just to get used to the way they operate. I had the 8120 a month before I got my Blackberry 8900 on an upgrade. The 8900 was a whole new experience! I would probably say go for the 8900 if you can afford it.

Just thought I'd give my opinon even though it may not be the best one ;o)

Good luck in deciding, let us know how you get on.

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to CB dude.
    06-01-09 05:49 PM
    agreed with noaim and FobBerry. the curve 8900 is the way to go if the initial cost difference is manageable. I'm a Pearl owner.. it's a very solid device and upon my initial launch into the smartphone/bb realm.. it was plenty. however.. upon learning all these devices can do my needs have changed. the app world is growing and the pearl just wont provide you an experience that can take advantage of that aspect very well going forward. put your $$ to work for you and get the curve. you'll be glad you did.
    06-01-09 05:52 PM
    8900 man. No brainer on this one
    06-01-09 05:53 PM
    Your english is very good. I would also suggest going with the Curve especially since there isn't that much of a price difference.
    06-01-09 05:57 PM
    i agree, the 8900 is much better. it gives you a bit more of a phone to grow into. i used to use the 8120 and the lag on the processor was enough for me not to want to put 3rd party apps on it.
    06-01-09 06:01 PM
    Go with the 8900 for sure if you can. If not the Pearl is a nice BB for starters. I still have a Pearl 8130 for a back up device.

Welcome to Crackberry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 06:03 PM
    Thanks for all your quick responses and the warm welcome here!!!!

So the overall conclusion form the answers says: 8900 Curve, I guess .
    And I think that this is the way I'm going for the whole BB experience. My girlfriend is looking for a Pearl, so I think for her needs it's going to be fine.
    I will let you know, when I hold it in my hands finally.

So my bed is waiting for me, so good night @ all!

I'm welcome for any further advices!
    06-01-09 06:25 PM
    The 8900 ofcourse.
    06-01-09 06:59 PM
    I have some short questions about the 8900 yet:

Is it wise to use the Opera Mini Browser and does that accelerate the browsing-speed?

And I have noticed, that the speed in the menu slows down, when you get into, for example, the applications area. Is that probably going to be solved by upcoming firmware-updates?

Thanks a lot so far
    06-04-09 05:18 PM
    i would say go with the 8900. it has a full html browser and is the fairly new. The pear has sort of been replaced by the pearl flip so buying one would be pretty useless. Plus i think you would get tired of the small keyboard very fast.
    06-04-09 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD