Hi all,

Had my 8900 for a few days now and I've got to admit, it's fantastic. Ive never had a blackberry before and I'm so gutted I've missed out! I've got a couple of Q's about my new BB.

1) I'm really worried about damaging the ball in the middle, would this sort of stuff be covered under warrenty if it was to stop working?

2) It does honestly feel a little "plasticy" compared to a few other phones out, would you recommend insurance?

3) I've looked at upgrading the OS, mines currently on v4.6.1.101 (platform 4.2.0.72) - Would you recommend upgrading it? - What's different?

4) I've read some stuff about BB maps, facebook, myspace apps that people have got on theirs as standard.. mine doesnt have any of these on Orange UK under downloads / IM or anything..

5) About Q3, OrangeUK latest is what I'm running I think, is it okay to upgrade still? - Orange seem to always be 5 years behind..

6) I use it for personal use, because of that I don't have any BB package on my contract, am I missing out on the BB's full swing?

ha, didn't think I'd be asking so much, so answering any questions would be fine!!
    02-20-09 10:33 AM
    Hi all,

Had my 8900 for a few days now and I've got to admit, it's fantastic. Ive never had a blackberry before and I'm so gutted I've missed out! I've got a couple of Q's about my new BB.

1) I'm really worried about damaging the ball in the middle, would this sort of stuff be covered under warrenty if it was to stop working?

2) It does honestly feel a little "plasticy" compared to a few other phones out, would you recommend insurance?

3) I've looked at upgrading the OS, mines currently on v4.6.1.101 (platform 4.2.0.72) - Would you recommend upgrading it? - What's different?

4) I've read some stuff about BB maps, facebook, myspace apps that people have got on theirs as standard.. mine doesnt have any of these on Orange UK under downloads / IM or anything..

5) About Q3, OrangeUK latest is what I'm running I think, is it okay to upgrade still? - Orange seem to always be 5 years behind..

6) I use it for personal use, because of that I don't have any BB package on my contract, am I missing out on the BB's full swing?

ha, didn't think I'd be asking so much, so answering any questions would be fine!!
    1) I wouldn't, either way, the phone's only been out for a few weeks so we're not sure if there's a major flaw. It's covered under the manufacturer's 1yr warranty.

2) It's all plastic, but still feels very solid. Get insurance if it helps you sleep at night.

3) Upgrade to official releases, stay away from others to avoid complications, unless you are comfortable upgrading and downgrading.

4) BBmaps comes on the phone (as does a shortcut link to download Facebook), myspace does not. I'd check with other Orange people and see it it's removing by default by the carrier. I'm not sure about this one, your service books could possibly be old/non-existent because of your lack of data plan.

5) See 3. Not sure.

6) The BB is meant to be a communication device so of course you're missing out on some of the stuff the BB can do for you. It's up to you to decide whether or not these functions are worth paying for. There's a few threads about this on the forum.

Most of this stuff is already on the forum, I'd do a search first next time.

Welcome to CB.
    02-20-09 11:27 AM
    Thanks for the help
    02-20-09 11:33 AM
    Hi all,

It SHOULD be but call your carrier to confirm
    I ALWAYS add insurance, not just because my phone could get damaged, but stolen as well
    4.6.1.133 is what im running. I havent had any problems and it seems to be very solid. As far as I know, this is the latest OFFICIAL release from blackberry. Search the forums for the link but id get used to the device and research before attempting an upgrade since this is your first
    go to Blackberrys mobile site from your phones browser and you should be able to DL all of these
    No clue, sorry
    short answer...YES!]
    I hope that helps you out and welcome to Crackberry!
    Last edited by KingofHeart4711; 02-20-09 at 11:41 AM.
    02-20-09 11:39 AM
    I hope that helps you out and welcome to Crackberry!
    Thanks for that!!

I've just been on the blackberry mobile site over WiFi and received this:

"The blackberry help website is designed for use with the blackberry browser.."
    - Having searched the net, some say it's because I don't have the blackberry on my account or something. Confusing!
    02-20-09 11:56 AM
    Thanks for that!!

I've just been on the blackberry mobile site over WiFi and received this:

"The blackberry help website is designed for use with the blackberry browser.."
    - Having searched the net, some say it's because I don't have the blackberry on my account or something. Confusing!
    Try opening up your browser, then select options from the menu. Select browser config and then where it says "Browser Identification" Change it to Blackberry. then back out and hit save. Now close the browser and go in and try again. that should do it
    Last edited by KingofHeart4711; 02-20-09 at 12:03 PM.
    02-20-09 12:00 PM
    Done that, having looked further.. tried to register the BB on my networks website and it comes up with.. "This BlackBerry is registered with a different service provider. Please re-register this BlackBerry and verify the URL matches the one provided by your service provider."

Looks like I have to take the BB package to use most of the features then!
    02-20-09 12:06 PM
    Done that, having looked further.. tried to register the BB on my networks website and it comes up with.. "This BlackBerry is registered with a different service provider. Please re-register this BlackBerry and verify the URL matches the one provided by your service provider."

Looks like I have to take the BB package to use most of the features then!
    Hmmm, that def sounds like you need to give them a call and see whats going one there.

Did you log into your SPs website from a computer and do this?
    02-20-09 12:15 PM
    Hmmm, that def sounds like you need to give them a call and see whats going one there.

Did you log into your SPs website from a computer and do this?
    Yeh I did. - I'll give them a call and see what they say.
    02-20-09 12:16 PM
    Hi all,

1. I thought the same thing - but it has a year's warrenty, and due to it's value, you would legally be able to puruse a claim if it fell slightly outside the warrenty.

2. Don't waste money on insurance - stick your spare money in a savings account - if you can find one that still pays interest!

3. OK - time to be serious. I was nervous about upgrading mine, but I took the plunge with the .133 update. I did it becuase I had heard that the battery would last longer (and I run a lot of applications). Since then, I have gone for a hybrid upgrade, but it is too early to say whether it has made any difference. Above all, do lots of backups.... just in case.

4. I have installed the following:
    Facebook: very basic functions, but good fun. Allows you to do basic stuff.
    MSN Messenger: Superb, I love MSN on the PC and the BB version is cool.
    iSkoot: This allows me to use my skype account
    Flickr: I use flickr becuase I take lots of photos, so uploading directly from the phone is useful
    GPS: I loaded two. One is called amaZe, and it gives turn-by-turn instructions. The other is called nav4all. nav4all is a bit more basic, but I like the fact that you can navigate directly to address book contacts. Both are free.

5. Im also with Orange. I upgraded yesterday, and it appears to work. You may need to reset your browser choice to "internet browser". Also, avoid WAP sites, cos Orange charge you (it falls outside the bundles).

6. Mine came with the BB package for free. It allows free web browsing and email (you can use your own email accounts). If you tend to be near a PC, it is obviously better to surf the net on that. But don't forget you can use MSN etc and it all comes out of your internet bundle (if you have one).

Hope this helps a little. I'm still learning about my phone (only had it a week). Good luck!
    02-20-09 12:50 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!

These guys answered your questions for you. If you would like more information on using the phone without a data plan, there are MANY threads discussing that very topic in this forum. Just search and read through them for some great information.

In short you will not get all the features without a data plan. You can get good functionality with 3rd party applications but it will take a lot of your time to get them all installed and configured and in the end, you will still be limited to WiFi access.
    02-20-09 12:52 PM
    Thank you for your help everyone! Going to try some of those apps out verwoodspring.

Also, going to add the bundle, it's only 5 extra!
    02-20-09 01:06 PM
    Just to add, I love Orange sometimes..

Called helpdesk to add the bundle, she said "Oh, I see it's 5 or Free of charge..I'll add the free of charge".. Lol. I'm only on the dolphin 25 with a 16 subscription discount! Happy Days.
    02-20-09 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD