Curious: does the escape button actually close/exit a program or just take you out of it? Because it seems the applications are still running even tho' I push the escape button. I usually have to push the menu button and "close" to fully exit the program and free up memory.
    05-28-09 04:34 PM
    Escape doesn't close apps, just puts them in the background...like that 3rd Eye Blind song ....
    05-28-09 04:38 PM
    Curious: does the escape button actually close/exit a program or just take you out of it? Because it seems the applications are still running even tho' I push the escape button. I usually have to push the menu button and "close" to fully exit the program and free up memory.
    to see what all you have running hold the "alt" button and press the back button for a second or two and a little menu will pop up - keep holding the "alt" button and let go of the back button and you can scroll to the open apps and close them. you'll have five icons that will not close 1) home screen 2) browser 3) messages 4) Phone 5) messenger. (.231 OS users can just hold the menu button to do the same).

but from i've seen using the back button will close the app out and hitting the end call button will kick you out of the app but leave it running in the background. but i could be wrong.
    05-28-09 04:45 PM
    Some apps will close when you use the back button.... But not all of them

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 05:02 PM
    I know BBWeather will close, and most BB specific apps like the Clock, Camera, Contact, and Calendar... wow, they all started with a 'C'.
    05-28-09 06:14 PM
    Pressing the back button closes out pretty much everything. Only thing I've found so far that you have to close out via the menu button is BB Maps.

Last edited by GenusRubus; 05-29-09 at 03:42 AM.
    05-29-09 03:32 AM
    Some apps will simply exit by pressing the Escape key whilst other require you to press Menu, Close, Exit or Quit. Still others (browser) remain running in the background whilst others still, like AutoStandby are always running but not visible.

You need to check each of your apps to find out the corret way to close each one. Using Menu, Close will always close an app correctly.

To see what is running at any one time press the Menu key whilst on the desktop and select Switch Application. This will display a scrolling window of runnign apps.
    05-29-09 05:10 AM
    Pressing the back button closes out pretty much everything. Only thing I've found so far that you have to close out via the menu button is BB Maps.

I need to take exception to this.... I named some of things it does close... but here are some things it DOES NOT CLOSE, each one can eat a battery: Google Maps, UberTwitter, Viigo, Flipside.... these are just a couple that I use on a regular basis that do not work.

The best thing to do is to check each just to be sure.... if you use the Esc key to close it (or believe you close it) use the Alt + Esc and if you see more the 5 basic OS jobs running (Browser, Call Log, Home Screen, Messages, and Messenger)... then you know it did not close properly.
    05-29-09 06:52 AM
    I need to take exception to this.... I named some of things it does close... but here are some things it DOES NOT CLOSE, each one can eat a battery: Google Maps, UberTwitter, Viigo, Flipside.... these are just a couple that I use on a regular basis that do not work.

The best thing to do is to check each just to be sure.... if you use the Esc key to close it (or believe you close it) use the Alt + Esc and if you see more the 5 basic OS jobs running (Browser, Call Log, Home Screen, Messages, and Messenger)... then you know it did not close properly.
    Meh. You named a few, I didn't.
    Talking standard RIM apps, not third party apps (which you may use but OP may not), as I said the only one I'VE found that doesn't close in this manner is BB Maps.
    05-29-09 08:48 AM
    I know Ubertwitter wont either
    05-30-09 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD