Ok, first of all whats up guys I just went from a Samsung Behold to my first Blackberry and LOVIN it. The 8900....

Problem though...

I'm a heavy heavy texter and I have BIG thumbs so this question is for the guys do u get use to texting fast with a keyboard that technically your whole thumb could cover?

Which is leading me to consider the Storm that I got... I'm leaning torwards the 8900 but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have 3G.. but I hate the Storm's lagging which would prob make texting harder but it's network is a lot faster. So i'm going back and forth between the phones and I can't decide.

Both texting and Tethering is important to me.. I know tethering off of EDGE with the 8900 isin't the fastest but it gets what I need done which is basically (myspace,facebook,blogging,email and downloading a couple songs here and there) then again 3G off of Verizon's network would be AWSOME... but then again I work for Verizon and I HATE how slow the freakin Storm is. Even with it's software updates... argh i'm going to stop now.. I have 14 days to try out both phones before I make a decision and then and i'm stuck for 2 years so please help me out guys... what would u do.
    03-02-09 11:22 PM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    03-02-09 11:26 PM
    Thank u...
    03-02-09 11:30 PM
    You def get used to the texting! My thumbs block off keys too but it becomes such a breeze that you don't even notice it and get so good you don't even have to look at the keys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 11:34 PM
    Hmmmm ... I wish someone here had both phones..
    03-02-09 11:36 PM
    Also, don't forget the 8900 has improved EDGE.
    03-02-09 11:47 PM
    This won't help you much, but downloading speed for the phone itself and tethering speed connected to a laptop may not be the same. The 3g phone may be faster tethering but the 8900/EDGE may be faster downloading. It really depends on where you are. Same thing goes for typing, but most people are better on the 8900 than the Storm. I think you gotta try 'em both yourself where you live.
    03-02-09 11:52 PM
    Hmmm I didn't know that.. thanks u both. I'm really trying hard to stick to the Curve 8900 cause I do love it. Plus do all the functions of the Storm even work when it's unlocked for Tmobile?
    03-02-09 11:57 PM
    You will learn to type with the edge of your thumb, and it definitely gets easier to type as time goes by! I was pecking when I got my first berry(8320), and with the 8900 it is even easier to get use to, I think. Good luck with your first berry .
    03-03-09 12:00 AM
    You will not have UMA on the Storm that you would with the 8900 and more importantly, you won't even have WiFi on the Stom. Plus the Storm will be slowing browsing because it does not have the improved EDGE. If you are going to run either phone on T-mobile, you are going to be much better off with the 8900.
    03-03-09 12:29 AM
    And if you plan on tethering on VZW, there's a hefty monthly charge.

03-03-09 12:33 AM
    You will learn to type with the edge of your thumb, and it definitely gets easier to type as time goes by! I was pecking when I got my first berry(8320), and with the 8900 it is even easier to get use to, I think. Good luck with your first berry .
    I'm a girl and have smaller fingers, but I tend to type with the tip of my thumbs.
    03-03-09 12:34 AM
    Hmmmm ... I wish someone here had both phones..
    There are a few people here who have both, like this guy: http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/i-...-storm-168776/
    03-03-09 12:35 AM
    I went from a Bold to a Storm to an 8900 and have been very happy with my 8900.

The Bold is awesome, no doubt about it. The Storm has a long way to go in my opinion. I'm not gonna get into another Bold v. 8900 though *and* you asked about the 8900 v. Storm so...

If you're a heavy texter, I'd definitely stick with the 8900. The keyboard makes all the difference. I lasted a week on the Storm. Typing on a touch screen was faster than I expected but still much much slower than I can type on an 8900 or Bold.

Yes, the keyboard on the 8900 is quite small. Coming from a Bold, it took a bit to re-adjust to the smaller keyboard but I'm almost back up to my regular typing speed.

You just have to give it some time to adjust to the keyboard size.

Oh, and, welcome to CrackBerry
    03-03-09 12:43 AM
    In my opinion, I would highly rec. the 8900 as far as texting, however for the internet usage Id go for the storm, but just remember the storm is extremely laggy, it will make you want to throw it out the window. The 8900 is awesome for texting. If you have big thumbs like some of us lol youll hate the storms touch screen keyboard. Plus if youre going to download or stream videos for example off of youtube, just connect via wifi if you can, if not bare with it. Good luck, but the storm will make you mad.
    03-03-09 12:46 AM
    This won't help you much, but downloading speed for the phone itself and tethering speed connected to a laptop may not be the same. The 3g phone may be faster tethering but the 8900/EDGE may be faster downloading. It really depends on where you are. Same thing goes for typing, but most people are better on the 8900 than the Storm. I think you gotta try 'em both yourself where you live.
    I don't believe you will not get the EVDO (3G data) speeds if you run the Storm on the T-mobile network but I'm not 100% sure on the frequencies. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.
    03-03-09 12:50 AM
    I think u guys just gave me a deal breaker.. i'll stick with my 8900 i'm already getting use the keypad and it's been 3 days.
    03-03-09 01:04 AM
    Ive had mine for 4 days and I am already used to texting, though my thumb kind of got sore from the trackball, lol.
    03-03-09 01:17 AM
    now can someone direct me to free themes now? I want the google want.
    03-03-09 01:36 AM
    Can anyone comment on their typing speed from an LX to an 8900?

03-03-09 02:02 AM
    My sister went from the sidekick slide to the curve 8320 and she says that there is a big difference in texting and using the keyboard and it was much easier texting on the curve than the skslide

03-03-09 02:48 AM
    now can someone direct me to free themes now? I want the google want.
    Do a search!!!!!

LOL jk

8900 themes are here.... be careful they are all BETA and you shouldn't have to buy ANY of them... pass on those!! If you have to do a restart you should put it back to one of the two default themes. I would suggest a Battery Pull after you load the theme. it makes them run a lot faster!!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f129/
    03-03-09 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD