07-16-09 10:31 PM
31 12
tools
    I lost a round of google roulette on my 8900 this morning and was forced to pull the battery.

Just out of curiousity, I timed the reboot. Came back up in just shy of 7 minutes. Which is, of course, completely ridiculous. **** my computer is ancient and on it's last legs, and it still boots faster than that.

My 8320 boots up in roughly 4 minutes. My first BB (one of those blue ones with the color screen...too lazy to research the model number) would boot in less than 2.

Got me wondering if these boot times were entirely model dependent or a combination of things like model, OS version, software loaded, database sizes, etc, etc..

Also, is there anything to be done to shorten the boot time? I just ordered an extra battery to have with me, but, I hate like **** to swap them, considering how long the downtime is. My RAZR may not be a smart phone, but I can swap batteries and have it on again in less than 10 seconds.
    04-24-09 10:01 AM
    on a related note, I find it amusing to see the results of the automated "profanity filter".

You can say "damn" but not "****", when these two words go together so well, such as is "damn you to ****"
    04-24-09 10:04 AM
    Abaddon? Gehenna? Jahannam? Avici? Naraka?

I am detecting a Christian bias in the filter.

On the plus side, this has totally distracted me from my annoyance over the boot time of my phone!
    04-24-09 10:10 AM
    I just did a reboot and timed it to see how long - 2 min 9 seconds. I do have third party apps on my 8900. No themes. Still running the stock OS 114.
    04-24-09 10:12 AM
    I think its model specific, with increases found based upon the number of 3rd party apps. Mine takes about what yours does to boot when it is in factory state, and closer to 10 minutes when its fully loaded with the dozens of apps and themes I have on here. Very excessive in comparison to the other models I've had. But I can live with it, because its such an amazing device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 10:14 AM
    ok... a RAZR is a phone... a Blackberry is a portable PC... they are not the fastest in the world at rebooting, but what is the major problem in being without your BB for 7 minutes... if you don't like it go back the RAZR... it does take some time to load an Operating System on a small device like this, plus all of the other things it has to load, like your browser, calendar and other things including your phone before it is ready to work.

There that was my rant on your rant.
    04-24-09 10:23 AM
    Get used to it, that's how BB's are.
    04-24-09 10:33 AM
    I wasn't ranting, I was just curious as to a) why it takes so long and b) why it varies from model to model.

The whole reason I got rid of my 8320 was the random reboots and the length of time to come back on. I went through 6 of them before selling the last one on ebay and getting a 8900, which has never rebooted on it's own. Fortunately. Because if I am trying to land a plane or defuse a bomb or perform a tracheotomy, a 7 minutes wait for a phone to reboot is a really really long time.
    04-24-09 10:37 AM
    7 minutes is way too long! Whenever I do reboots, the max time is around 3 to 4 minutes.

By the way, Spanish words aren't censored!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 10:44 AM
    la cosa maldecida est llevando de largo
    04-24-09 10:54 AM
    Ok, for those of us with long reboots here's your solution.

Go to options -- security options --memory cleaning -- set it to disabled (then leave and save the option)

Try a restart now - you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    04-24-09 11:07 AM

Go to options -- security options --memory cleaning -- set it to disabled (then leave and save the option)

What does memory cleaning do, and how much memory does it free up?
    04-24-09 11:22 AM
    I had read that in other postings, but had never tried it. Mostly because a bug in OS 4.5 that was on my 8320s made it impossible to save that setting anyway.

I tried it just now and it did make a difference, but I would not call it a dramatic one. Shaved about a minute and a half off the boot time.
    04-24-09 12:02 PM
    What os are you running?
    04-24-09 12:38 PM
    Hmmm... Mine only takes 2-3 minutes to boot up. I'm curious about your os as well.
    04-24-09 12:42 PM
    1:57 from red blinking light to security verification completed. I have a few themes and about 10 or so 3rd party apps. When i did have memory cleaning on it took about 6 minutes or so with the same setup of apps and themes
    04-24-09 01:02 PM
    My OS is the same one that came with it, 114.

I am not upgrading it until T-Mobile releases something new. That way, when it bricks my phone (and it will), I have someone to call and scream at.
    04-24-09 01:53 PM
    i just rebooted mine and close to 3 minutes and running 5.0
    04-24-09 02:09 PM
    My OS is the same one that came with it, 114.

I am not upgrading it until T-Mobile releases something new. That way, when it bricks my phone (and it will), I have someone to call and scream at.
    You could be waiting a really long time for that to happen. I woul recommend upgrading to a better OS and then if you want to test the "tmobile brick software" downgrade at that point. It is hard to completely brick a blackberry (not impossible).

As for OS updates on carriers there is no set time when they update OS's. Rogers is still showing .94 as the latest OS they support and the 8900 came out in December on Rogers.
    04-24-09 02:17 PM
    Oh, I could, but I hate upgrading firmware/software. Never seems to go smoothly. I would rather be pushed down a flight of stairs than install a new firmware on my Linksys router. I have done it on Blackberrys before and succeeded, but it never seems to work right the first time and I end up killing half a day trying to get my phone working again. And for what? Unless there is some new functions, I don't much see the point. I have no evidence to back it up, but I suspect that a lot of the improvements people claim to see after minor upgrades are imaginary. I prefer to reserve the pain for larger jumps, 4.2 to 4.5 for example. When 5 comes out, I will do that one. But, when there are four decimal places before any number changes...pass.

Besides, one of the great things about the 8900, as opposed to the 8320, is that there is decent memory which largely eliminates the need to reboot the phone. I do it so seldom now, I can live with the 5 minute delay.
    04-24-09 02:55 PM
    Oh, I could, but I hate upgrading firmware/software. Never seems to go smoothly. I would rather be pushed down a flight of stairs than install a new firmware on my Linksys router. I have done it on Blackberrys before and succeeded, but it never seems to work right the first time and I end up killing half a day trying to get my phone working again. And for what? Unless there is some new functions, I don't much see the point. I have no evidence to back it up, but I suspect that a lot of the improvements people claim to see after minor upgrades are imaginary. I prefer to reserve the pain for larger jumps, 4.2 to 4.5 for example. When 5 comes out, I will do that one. But, when there are four decimal places before any number changes...pass.

Besides, one of the great things about the 8900, as opposed to the 8320, is that there is decent memory which largely eliminates the need to reboot the phone. I do it so seldom now, I can live with the 5 minute delay.

I hear you loud and clear!! I too am evidently one of the few that does not jump on every new os that comes through the door. I have had numerous problems with the upgrades and the EXACT same issue of wasting so much time just to get the phone up and running again. Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting for the official upgrade as well
    04-24-09 03:08 PM

How did you get this to disable the option? It doesn't work in my 8900 and i'm running .206
    04-24-09 03:13 PM
    I hear you loud and clear!! I too am evidently one of the few that does not jump on every new os that comes through the door. I have had numerous problems with the upgrades and the EXACT same issue of wasting so much time just to get the phone up and running again. Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting for the official upgrade as well
    I admit that I finally lost patience with T-mobile waiting on the 4.5 release and upgraded my phone with a copy I found from here. It went about par for th course..as much fun as a root canal. Then, a week later, T-mobile released it. Of course, with my multiple 8320 exchanges, I had plenty of chances to use that one too, but I still looked upon it as a lesson. If the phone is working fine, leave it alone. The damned things don't even come with a change log. Anecdotal tales of slightly better battery life are not worth 4 hours of high blood pressure and my kids cowering on the other side of the house.
    04-24-09 04:36 PM
    I admit that I finally lost patience with T-mobile waiting on the 4.5 release and upgraded my phone with a copy I found from here. It went about par for th course..as much fun as a root canal. Then, a week later, T-mobile released it. Of course, with my multiple 8320 exchanges, I had plenty of chances to use that one too, but I still looked upon it as a lesson. If the phone is working fine, leave it alone. The damned things don't even come with a change log. Anecdotal tales of slightly better battery life are not worth 4 hours of high blood pressure and my kids cowering on the other side of the house.

ROFL!!!! Same thing at my house. Whenever I tell my daughters "I'm getting ready to do 'fill in the blank' to my bb" they all take off running upstairs. They know by now things never go smoothly and they don't want to be anywhere near my desk when the **** hits the fan.
    04-24-09 04:41 PM
    One of my gripes about the 8900 is how long it takes to boot up. Ya, I do battery swaps and itching for it to turn on while waiting for important calls.

Anyway to improve bootup time?
    04-25-09 03:11 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD