03-06-09 05:06 PM
29 12
tools
    I have the 8900 curve right now with T-mobile. i currently have the the $34.99 data plan which includes unlimited txt msgs and blackberry unlimited web. it seems i can get on the web but i can not connect to my blackberry IM. Anyone have any ideas?
    03-06-09 10:05 AM
    Is this a new account? I have seen an issue like this where the web browser was working bbm was as welll but when they tried to access the emaill setup it reported that her account did not have access to it . It took two days for the system to fix itself
    bbm was working but

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 10:23 AM
    well i had the pearl for the last two years. i just got the 8900 when i got my upgrade. but plans are the same
    03-06-09 10:25 AM
    Try a battery pull and then resend your service books.
    03-06-09 10:30 AM
    where are the service books?
    03-06-09 10:34 AM
    You can either log-in to T-Mobile's BIS site from your PC and there is an option there, or you can do it from your BB. Go to set-up internet email, which will take you to T-Mo's site and from there click on service books > send
    03-06-09 10:37 AM
    Tmo web site. Log in to your account and scroll down to set up email/phone etc. You can verify if Tmo has the correct PIN and resend service books.
    You cal also do

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 10:38 AM
    I thought of one more possibility. You said you upgraded from a Pearl. Did you by any chance use the "change device wizard" in Desktop Manager when you got your 8900? If so, that can cause a multitude of problems, especially with UMA connections and some other BB native apps.

If service books resend doesn't fix it, you may be looking at a wipe and reload of the OS.
    03-06-09 10:46 AM
    just sent my service books. how long does it usually take? do i get a msg saying it was sent on my phone?
    03-06-09 10:56 AM
    You will get emails to any accounts you have set up on your BB saying "server activation". It may take up to 20 mins. or so for it to actually start working.
    03-06-09 11:00 AM
    you will get an email on you phone.. rather quickly!!
    03-06-09 11:01 AM
    nothing yet.. still have my friends PIN pending in my bb IM
    03-06-09 11:20 AM
    just looked at my plan and saw that i had two optional services

1.)BlackBerry Feature Enabler
    2.)BlackBerry Unlimited Web + Unlimited MessagesBlackBerry Unlimited Web + Unlimited Messages

Should i have the blackberry feature enabler(which is free) with my data plan?
    03-06-09 11:23 AM
    I don't believe you need the enabler. I just sent you a PM.
    03-06-09 11:29 AM
    I thought of one more possibility. You said you upgraded from a Pearl. Did you by any chance use the "change device wizard" in Desktop Manager when you got your 8900? If so, that can cause a multitude of problems, especially with UMA connections and some other BB native apps.

If service books resend doesn't fix it, you may be looking at a wipe and reload of the OS.
    This is not true. The device switch wizard works great and it definitely does not touch anything with the UMA settings. Also, BB native app connections are controlled by service books.
    03-06-09 11:29 AM
    @kenstan - As previously stated, re-sending the service books and/or a battery pull are both things you should try.

Also you should check out the 101 lectures, they are a great source of information! I have a link to them in my signature. You can also find the same link (and other great information) through the "newbies" menu item at the top of every page.
    03-06-09 11:31 AM
    maybe you should go JATM!!
    03-06-09 11:36 AM
    aristile: i already resent my service books and did the battery pull
    03-06-09 11:39 AM
    In that case, contact T-mobile and have them check to make sure your account is setup correctly.
    03-06-09 12:10 PM
    You will get emails to any accounts you have set up on your BB saying "server activation". It may take up to 20 mins. or so for it to actually start working.
    When I went from my curve 8320 to the curve 8900 I used the feature. nothing went smoother in my life, I have not had a single issue with regards to anything dealing with the database.

I have to say that ir prob one of the best tools around and I wish i had used it the last couple of times I had the 8320 exchanged.

Like I said t-mobile has had a few issues with the setup of BIS. been some long delays on getting everything authenticated correctly.
    Last edited by Daedalus; 03-06-09 at 12:27 PM.
    03-06-09 12:23 PM
    Thanks everyone.. I am going to contact T-mobile. Thanks agian
    03-06-09 12:32 PM
    This is not true. The device switch wizard works great and it definitely does not touch anything with the UMA settings. Also, BB native app connections are controlled by service books.
    According to T-Mobile that is EXACTLY what happened to me when I used the Device Switch Wizard to change from the 8320 to the 8900. I lost UMA and the MyFavs icon. They had me do a wipe and restore. Which fixed the problem. Something about certificates on the new device getting deleted/overwritten with my old data.

There are known issues with the Device Switch Wizard.

Using the Switch Device wizard to switch BlackBerry devices may cause certain files to be removed from the new BlackBerry device
    03-06-09 01:26 PM
    According to T-Mobile that is EXACTLY what happened to me when I used the Device Switch Wizard to change from the 8320 to the 8900. I lost UMA and the MyFavs icon. They had me do a wipe and restore. Which fixed the problem. Something about certificates on the new device getting deleted/overwritten with my old data.

There are known issues with the Device Switch Wizard.

Using the Switch Device wizard to switch BlackBerry devices may cause certain files to be removed from the new BlackBerry device
    T-mobile has been known to tell people bad information before. It does happen. That link you sent me does not mention UMA, just other problems you might have when using the device switch wizard. The thing is that UMA settings specifically are configured deep into your phone's settings and are not effected by the device switch wizard, user databases or OS files. When I say that UMA was not effected, this is what I am talking about. As far as some OS files getting corrupted, damaged or over-written, I guess this is possible as per that RIM article but that article pertains to Desktop Manager 4.2. With the 8900, you should be using Desktop Manager 4.6. This issue must be related to older versions of Desktop Manager and should no longer be an issue.
    03-06-09 01:55 PM
    T-mobile has been known to tell people bad information before. It does happen. That link you sent me does not mention UMA, just other problems you might have when using the device switch wizard. The thing is that UMA settings specifically are configured deep into your phone's settings and are not effected by the device switch wizard, user databases or OS files. When I say that UMA was not effected, this is what I am talking about. As far as some OS files getting corrupted, damaged or over-written, I guess this is possible as per that RIM article but that article pertains to Desktop Manager 4.2. With the 8900, you should be using Desktop Manager 4.6. This issue must be related to older versions of Desktop Manager and should no longer be an issue.
    I tend to agree. I think I read somewhere that when using device switch wizard the certificates needed for UMA are also sent to the new device such as going from 8320 to 8900. Please correct me if this is wrong information.
    Doc
    03-06-09 02:05 PM
    I was using Desktop Manager 4.6 when this happened. When T-Mobile had me go through all of my certificates the UMA ones and the myfavs ones were gone after the Device Switch. UMA & myfavs worked perfectly until I did the "switch". After T-Mo had me reload the OS all was good, so I think they were on to something, as the correct certificates then reappeared after reload.

I see you are using a carrier besides T-Mo. Do they support UMA? If not maybe that explains the difference in my experience and yours with device switch and UMA.
    03-06-09 03:47 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD