one of the best things about having an 8900, is that you don't have to spend every waking moment checking the forums praying for a new OS to come out that will ''hopefully'' take the phone closer to where it should be. Unlike the last 6 months of my life, first with the Bold then with the Storm.

The 8900 works out of the box, when released?! Who would have thought. I am surprised RIM still even knows what that means.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 02-18-09 at 09:17 AM.
    02-18-09 09:15 AM
    wait so are these official releases and wont void our warranty with our carrier (rogers in my case)
    02-18-09 09:17 AM
    What's your point? I could care less about the storm
    Lemme guess you're going to now try to convince everybody within earshot that the 8900 curve is the best BB ever
    You are about as predictable as a 2 year old child. The newest toy is always the best untill something new comes out
    I would now like for you to explain to me what the 8900 does better than the Bold
    Lemme preface this all by saying my Bold has NEVER randomly rebooted with any OS
    3G is on 24/7 where I roam and lastly my reason for upgrading the OS is simply curiousity
    Now mr the grass is always greener please explain to me how your 8900 on a slower network with a slower processor is suddenly the pinnacle of BB ownership

Maybe you should put IMHO and "in my current location" the 8900 on edge is the best phone for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 09:30 AM
    Someones having a bad morning...... ^

02-18-09 09:34 AM
    hahahahahaha

No i was not trying to convince anyone of anything. Merely pointing out my experience with the devices, experiences that seem to be fairly common. Your Bold works good now, great mine works better than when I got it, 5 months ago as well. Why dont you go on a rant and tell me why its ok that it didnt work like it was supposed to when it was released 5 months ago?

And just for you; the 8900 on EDGE in its size and form factor is the best blackberry for me because even if I have a Bold or Storm I still have to carry a second phone because no BB can deliver all 3G capabilities out there that other phones deliver.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 02-18-09 at 09:56 AM.
    02-18-09 09:46 AM
    Lemme guess you're going to now try to convince everybody within earshot that the 8900 curve is the best BB ever
    You are about as predictable as a 2 year old child. The newest toy is always the best untill something new comes out
    I would now like for you to explain to me what the 8900 does better than the Bold
    Lemme preface this all by saying my Bold has NEVER randomly rebooted with any OS
    3G is on 24/7 where I roam and lastly my reason for upgrading the OS is simply curiousity
    Now mr the grass is always greener please explain to me how your 8900 on a slower network with a slower processor is suddenly the pinnacle of BB ownership

Maybe you should put IMHO and "in my current location" the 8900 on edge is the best phone for me.

BUUUUUURRRRRNNNNNNN
    02-18-09 09:48 AM
    someone needs a good ole cup of joe!
    02-18-09 09:50 AM
    maybe he didnt have time to rub one out this morning before work.
    02-18-09 09:52 AM
    maybe he didnt have time to rub one out this morning before work.
    I'm home on sick leave (damn flu!!!) laughing my *** off! ^^^ I love this board !!!
    02-18-09 10:07 AM
    I'm home on sick leave (rubbing one out!!!) laughing my *** off! ^^^ I love this board !!!

02-18-09 10:12 AM
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's messed up man ! You're going to send me to the hospital from coughing up my lungs laughing!
    02-18-09 10:21 AM
    sag - you're using a hybrid OS on the 8900?
    02-18-09 10:39 AM
    Yup, it took me playing around with different O/S's to finally find one that works for my device...which was the .133/.114 radio. I have no real complaints with this O/S.

Damn, I kinda of feel like a Somali pirate hijacking threads, lol.
    02-18-09 11:08 AM

Why does everything have to be "this is better vs that is better". It simply comes down to personal preference. The storm, curve, bold all have their positives and negatives.

I also think he was simply saying how there were no bugs/technical issues with the curve 8900 when it was initially released compared to the bold & storm.
    02-18-09 11:39 AM
    what's the point of it, though? what benefit does it give you? i havent had any problems w/ mine and im on .152. or was it just for fun?

this was threadjacked a while ago.
    02-18-09 11:39 AM
    best part for me is that there are no glitches or bugs...
    02-18-09 11:53 AM

Vent much? Neither device is better than the other one, they simply target different users. Some benefit more from the 9000 and others benefit more from the 8900. Each device has its strengths and weaknesses.

My 8900 has NEVER randomly rebooted either, so please don't pawn that off as a common problem on the 8900 because it is not. Also when you mention that the 8900 has a slower processor, you also need to mention that it has more available memory which makes up for slower processor. Sure EDGE is slower than 3G but the 8900 has improved EDGE technology in the device and it has 8 EDGE channels instead of 2. If we are going to compare the devices let's look at the whole picture.

I have owned both devices. For more information check out the comparison thread link in my signature.
    02-18-09 12:26 PM
    what's the point of it, though? what benefit does it give you? i havent had any problems w/ mine and im on .152. or was it just for fun?

this was threadjacked a while ago.
    I guess it was just for the heck of it...I love technology. What I noticed was the battery life is excellent, my signal strength is great, very stable, and I find there to be no lag anywhere. On the .152 thread, I read so many mixed reviews about this O/S. Still debating on moving up though.

Thanks for the laughs too...I'm feeling much better.

Hey Mods and thread starter, sorry about threadjacking this thread.
    02-18-09 12:44 PM

Thanks for the laughs too...I'm feeling much better.

Hey Mods and thread starter, sorry about threadjacking this thread.
    no harm in having fun while we are here!
    02-18-09 01:49 PM
    I have to say that this is the best blackberry that I have had so far I played with the 9000 and wasn't impressed for it to be a 3G device it didn't seem that much faster then in edge powered blackberry. To me it was like a Ferrari running a 15 second quarter mile

02-20-09 02:28 AM
    There are so many wonderful things about the 8900 but yes, this bis definitely at the top of the list!!!

02-20-09 05:48 AM
    Vent much? Neither device is better than the other one, they simply target different users. Some benefit more from the 9000 and others benefit more from the 8900. Each device has its strengths and weaknesses.

My 8900 has NEVER randomly rebooted either, so please don't pawn that off as a common problem on the 8900 because it is not. Also when you mention that the 8900 has a slower processor, you also need to mention that it has more available memory which makes up for slower processor. Sure EDGE is slower than 3G but the 8900 has improved EDGE technology in the device and it has 8 EDGE channels instead of 2. If we are going to compare the devices let's look at the whole picture.

I have owned both devices. For more information check out the comparison thread link in my signature.
    hahahahahaha

No i was not trying to convince anyone of anything. Merely pointing out my experience with the devices, experiences that seem to be fairly common. Your Bold works good now, great mine works better than when I got it, 5 months ago as well. Why dont you go on a rant and tell me why its ok that it didnt work like it was supposed to when it was released 5 months ago?

And just for you; the 8900 on EDGE in its size and form factor is the best blackberry for me because even if I have a Bold or Storm I still have to carry a second phone because no BB can deliver all 3G capabilities out there that other phones deliver.
    I agree with the both above opinions here. One other point I will add though is that the 8900 had a stable launch and is a stable device because it is an upgrade of the STAPLE bread and butter of RIM's product model. The 8900 follows all the queues and picks up the legacy where the 87xx, 81xx and 83xx left off. RIM does EDGE and GPRS very well, they embraced these connections and developed them over time, since they added the mobile phone radio to the BlackBerry device.

The Bold is a new iteration, a 3G flavour and upgrade of the 88xx series and goes in a new direction for RIM. It doesn't do 3G as well as devices that have been built around being a phone that uses 3G. Its a BlackBerry, not a Samsung Omnia or HTC Touch Pro which both use HSDPA 7.2Mbps. Its a BlackBerry, an email device that began as a pager, they added a phone to it and now they've enhanced the CURRENT functionality with 3G, the BlackBerry was never designed to be a multimedia 3G powerhouse, it was always a simple device for performing work related tasks with relative ease and ULTIMATE integration.

I think a lot of people don't really understand the ecosystem of the BlackBerry and RIM, they presume its just a smartphone with great email capabilities. It isn't, its a corporate integration device and isn't really comparable with the smartphones today, it has a multitude of smartphone capabilities but these are by-the-by and just a distraction from getting the real BUSINESS done. Anyone who buys a BlackBerry as a smartphone and internet device is always going to harp on that the Bold is better than the Curve 8900 as its simply faster at those tasks (faster processor: 624Mhz vs 512Mhz and 3G 3.6Mbps vs EDGE). That is just personal preference based on the person's intentions and purpose for the device but I think if internet and 3G is what people want they don't need a BlackBerry, just an iPhone or another smartphone with great browsing and a data plan.

I think the convergence of markets probably did lead to the shaky launch of the Bold (I was previously going to get the Bold, following its development from very early on in the year) and the Storm. It seems as if the direction that RIM is moving towards; consumers, is changing the hardware and taking RIM to previously uncharted BlackBerry territory, let's see if their next 3G device is as much of a mess at launch as the Bold and Storm (hopefully it will be a 3G flavour of the Curve, a smart addition would be HSDPA 7.2Mbps as apposed to the Bold's paltry 3.6Mbps but I would rather it be EDGE if they sacrifice the overall stability/launch of the device).
    02-20-09 07:00 AM
    Really Great feedback, Insurgent! I think you nailed it!
    02-20-09 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD