Going to Bermuda 5/9 (royal carribean cruise). Do I have to switch to wifi only and if so, can someone explain how it's done? Thanks - Jim
    04-29-09 06:08 PM
    Going to Bermuda 5/9 (royal carribean cruise). Do I have to switch to wifi only and if so, can someone explain how it's done? Thanks - Jim
    You may not have to switch to wifi only, but it would be a good idea. It is possible that TMobile has service on the ship, but if they do, it would likely be at a rate of around $5/minute.

To disable the mobile network, you can go to "Manage Connections" on the home screen, and uncheck the mobile network option.
    04-29-09 06:10 PM
    Its 4$ a min on the ship. U can get the international unlimited internet /email plan for about 8$ for the week ur going away. Atleast that's wat they told me for when I go away in may

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 07:00 PM
    Its 4$ a min on the ship. U can get the international unlimited internet /email plan for about 8$ for the week ur going away. Atleast that's wat they told me for when I go away in may

It's $4.99/minute on the ship. See this page for info.

The unlimited international data plan is $20/month, so that's $5/week.
    04-29-09 08:19 PM
    I would recommend turning off the mobile network connection and just leave the WiFi connection enabled. If the routers on the ship are configured corrrectly then you will be able to place calls and get your data through the WiFi connection and UMA.

04-30-09 01:14 AM
    Thanks for the info- much appreciated. - Jim
    04-30-09 04:35 AM
    Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a pre-paid SIM. Have it shipped to you before you leave the US. I just came back from Bermuda a few months ago. We docked in St. George, you'll be docking in Hamilton. Right outside the port area right past where you buy the ferry tickets, you'll see an electronics store that sells pre-paid sims.

I'm at work right now, but when I get home, if you're interested i'll look up the exact specefics. It was fairly cheap, and I used it both ways.

Anyhow....you'll love BM if you've never been there.....
    04-30-09 08:18 AM
    I agree with flyingmedic...

I live in Bermuda so if you need any more help don't hesitate to PM me.
    04-30-09 10:54 AM
    Do yourself a favor, buy yourself a pre-paid SIM. Have it shipped to you before you leave the US. I just came back from Bermuda a few months ago. We docked in St. George, you'll be docking in Hamilton. Right outside the port area right past where you buy the ferry tickets, you'll see an electronics store that sells pre-paid sims.

I'm at work right now, but when I get home, if you're interested i'll look up the exact specefics. It was fairly cheap, and I used it both ways.

Anyhow....you'll love BM if you've never been there.....
    Yea that would also be a good idea depending on what Jim wants to do. If Jim plans to use his phone to make local calls in Bermuda then I would suggest the same as what you are here and go with the prepaid SIM card. If, on the other hand, Jim is looking to call back to the US then I would instead keep in his current SIM and just use WiFi as I have suggested. Also he can get the best of both worlds if he wants to do so, he will just need to remember to swap out his SIM card depending on who he wanted to call.
    04-30-09 12:20 PM
    Pre-paid sim sounds great. They sell them at the port in Bermuda? Please PM any details. This is my first time going. Getting married. Thanks again!
    04-30-09 05:07 PM
    Call T-Mobile and request an unlock code today if you don't have one.

Before you board the vessel, turn off Mobile Network. Seriously, don't wait until you're on board because invariably, someone will call you and want to chat when you're on the ship's microcell at $5/min.
    04-30-09 05:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD