04-17-09 02:07 PM
37 12
tools
    Also, a big factor in battery life, is how far away you are from a cell tower - if you have weak signal, your phone will poll the cell more often, resulting in lower battery life. For example, in L.A., I can barely get a days worth - using it the same in New York, or even better when I'm in a European city, I can finish the day at 20%.

I experienced, as with most of my Blackberries, barely able to get out one full day, from waking to sleep. However, lower your screen brightness to 10%, and turn off the auto dimming - that helps a lot.

As well, I bought the Seidio 2600 mAh extended battery for my 8900. I love it! I can REALLY play the sh*t out of the phone all day, and still have 40-50% left after a 16 hour day. And, it doesn't really add too much bulk. As a matter of fact, it feels nicer in the hand than the standard battery.
    04-16-09 07:56 PM
    I keep my wi fi on most of the day surf ,email and a few calls and still left with plenty to last but its been my experience that one must charge overnight anyway to keep optimal performance . I mean for me I hate to have a near dead battery even at home so I just bought a charging pod and use it over night ,cheap on newegg.
    04-16-09 11:28 PM
    I would not suggest moving to 5.0 just yet.

Turning off wifi and bluetooth will help with your battery life.

Trapster is most likely your issue if you shut it off it should help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 11:43 PM
    If GPS location is set to ON but no app is using the GPS, will the battery still drain more quickly?

04-17-09 12:21 AM
    Sounds likely. Just shut it off and see what happens. I'm a broken record about battery life but I'll say it again: radio use is what drains batteries (that and lighting up the screen). GPS is the worst. The OS just by itself doesn't drain the battery (how can it?). When people swear that just changing the OS made their battery life way better what happened is the culprit radio(s) got shut off when they upgraded. It's usually GPS if it drains really fast, but RSS feeds can do it too.
    By running? Also, of course it can change battery life. Certain processes are tweaked for optimum battery life. Fixes in some other areas. Fixes to the radio rom do wonders, too. Years of windows devices and knowledge of the os, registry entries, etc have taught me that it matters much.
    04-17-09 12:32 AM
    The only downside I have with this phone is the battery life. I am averaging about 15hrs per cycle. I got my phone from one of the internet deals out there. Buymobilephones.net if anyone is interested. How would I go about replacing it?
    04-17-09 02:42 AM
    Sgtpepper,---- when u first unboxed the device, did u let the bat FULLY charge? I guess if u don't let it fully charge the first time, than the bat will suck at holding a charge- try letting ur bat drain alll the way and then let it charge up completely. Do this twice. It will train ur bat to hold a full charge. If not, get a new bat. If still, return the device. I would say try things like shutting ur gps off when u aren't using it, but this sounds like ur bat is f'd

04-17-09 03:06 AM
    I gotta say .206 isnt much better, but then again I can run my mouth on the phone for hours at a time, lol
    04-17-09 03:29 AM
    A few things to keep in mind!!!!!

Lithium-ion batteries are popular because they have a number of important advantages over competing technologies:

* They're generally much lighter than other types of rechargeable batteries of the same size. The electrodes of a lithium-ion battery are made of lightweight lithium and carbon. Lithium is also a highly reactive element, meaning that a lot of energy can be stored in its atomic bonds. This translates into a very high energy density for lithium-ion batteries.

* They hold their charge. A lithium-ion battery pack loses only about 5 percent of its charge per month, compared to a 20 percent loss per month for NiMH batteries.

* They have no memory effect, which means that you do not have to completely discharge them before recharging, as with some other battery chemistries.

* Lithium-ion batteries can handle hundreds of charge/discharge cycles.

That is not to say that lithium-ion batteries are flawless. They have a few disadvantages as well:

* They start degrading as soon as they leave the factory. They will only last two or three years from the date of manufacture whether you use them or not.
    * They are extremely sensitive to high temperatures. Heat causes lithium-ion battery packs to degrade much faster than they normally would.
    * If you completely discharge a lithium-ion battery, it is ruined.
    * A lithium-ion battery pack must have an on-board computer to manage the battery. This makes them even more expensive than they already are.
    * There is a small chance that, if a lithium-ion battery pack fails, it will burst into flame.
    04-17-09 08:16 AM
    Thanks cilantro, so there is a good reason not to push a charge and one should consider plugging in every night whether one needs to or not, just to be safe.

04-17-09 08:59 AM
    thanks for the advice guys!!!! I found that by disabling trapster my battery life now rocks!!! GPS is a battery killer alright! Loving my BB even more now!!!!
    04-17-09 01:44 PM
    thats why I stick with offical Version 4.6 somethings. any unofficial version OS on blackberry would cooking the battery to drain quickly.. thats sucks! :P
    04-17-09 02:07 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD