04-17-09 02:07 PM
37 12
tools
    Apologies if this post has been said a million times before but i am a new BB user and am finding the battery life shocking! I have upgraded the OS to v.206 which i am told assists in improving battery life and still it seems to not last more than 24 hours with lite usage. I have dimmed the backlight to 50% and i have set the auto dim to 10 sec. Can anyone tell me if i am doing anything wrong or is there a setting i need to put on?

Also i have noticed that whilst the phone is idle it will wake itself up and display a small two way arrow in the top corner next to the GPRS.

Any suggestions or tips most welcomed.

Thanks for reading
    04-16-09 01:47 PM
    Exchange your phone I am a heavy user and my battery last longer then 24 hours with ease.
    04-16-09 01:50 PM
    yeah thats probably the phone or the battery. im a heavy user all day pandora, youtube, text/bbm/aim, internet, etc. and from about 6am to about 12midnight im at about %85.
    04-16-09 01:53 PM
    Are you leaving your wi-fi connected? That's the only time I have battery life issues.
    04-16-09 01:56 PM
    Suggest purchasing AutoStandBy... great program since it will go into Standby right after the screen dims... I'm sure this has been said, but not here yet... you need to be sure to properly exit or close all apps after you get done using them... I took mine off the charger yesterday about 18 hours ago and I have 80% battery life running OS .206, with Wifi enabled during the entire time.
    04-16-09 01:58 PM
    how do i know all apps are turned off? is there any way of checking?

Thanks for the advice guys
    04-16-09 02:07 PM
    Hold the alt+back buttons. Or if you are on .199 or higher, simply press down and hold the bb button.
    04-16-09 02:09 PM
    I forgot to mention, there are 5 aps that are always running: home, call log, browser, bb messenger and messages. Those are the ones you cannot turn off.
    04-16-09 02:12 PM
    sorry i am really new to this so please bear with me. When i hold down the blackberry key it shows that i have trapster, bb messenger, home, browser, message and phone open?
    04-16-09 02:15 PM
    ah right. In that case it must be trapster!!!! That must have been twonking my battery!!! Like i said i am just watching the battery life drain. Do you reckon that would be it?
    04-16-09 02:16 PM
    upgrade to 5.0...battery life is far better
    04-16-09 02:19 PM
    I have to disagree with geoff, I think upgrading to 5.0 at this point will just give you issues. Now that you know about closing apps, do that...and use standby. And if you're willing too, purchase autostandby. I just think with you being new to the bb, the last thing you wanna do is upgrade to an os that limits what apps you can run. You should enjoy your device before expirimenting

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 02:26 PM
    the only prob with 5 is that is hasnt been approved yet has it??? Is it even a stable platform?
    04-16-09 02:26 PM
    Im running on 5.0 without a problem and battery is the best i have seen on my 8900 and bold. i charge my battery every other day before i go to bed. Thats using uma and pandora and browsing the web and email.
    04-16-09 02:34 PM
    the only prob with 5 is that is hasnt been approved yet has it??? Is it even a stable platform?
    ive read about enough people downgrading back to .206 or .199 to try it at this point
    04-16-09 02:37 PM
    keep in mind that it is not only apps running in the background, your settings and type of batt are as important. some of people here use higher cap batt.

i am on OEM batt. i have my wifi on all the time as i signed up for unlimited wifi calling. i use my bb mostly for call, e-mail, sms and very little web browsing. i turned my gps off. on heavy use minimum 3hours call, i will get about over a day with batt at 15%. on average with similar usage pattern (but at about a little under 2hours call), i get over 2days and my batt will be at about 15%.

when i turn my wifi off over the weekend to experiment it, i can easily push it to 3 days till my batt is down to 15%.

i am using .168 and plan to do next upgrade when OS 5.0 becomes more stable

not sure, but you might want to get a new batt. if that does not help, replacement may be your better option.

Edited: i also diaenabled bluetooth and my cell goes to standby as often as it can be.
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 04-17-09 at 02:09 PM.
    04-16-09 02:41 PM
    Can i ask if trapster app would have been zapping my battery??? think i will stay on v.206
    04-16-09 02:48 PM
    i think trapster would not sure but from the description of that program it uses your gps to give the information accurate to where you are, so gps running all the time would drain
    04-16-09 03:01 PM
    I forgot to mention, there are 5 aps that are always running: home, call log, browser, bb messenger and messages. Those are the ones you cannot turn off.
    Not using BB messenger, I deleted it so it no longer runs in the background. Have had no problems owing to that kill.

Blazorboy
    04-16-09 04:24 PM
    Can i ask if trapster app would have been zapping my battery??? think i will stay on v.206
    Sounds likely. Just shut it off and see what happens. I'm a broken record about battery life but I'll say it again: radio use is what drains batteries (that and lighting up the screen). GPS is the worst. The OS just by itself doesn't drain the battery (how can it?). When people swear that just changing the OS made their battery life way better what happened is the culprit radio(s) got shut off when they upgraded. It's usually GPS if it drains really fast, but RSS feeds can do it too.
    04-16-09 04:35 PM
    I have a weather app and am always on WiFi at home so my battery lasts about a day - that's an extended life 1600 battery. I charge every night - no big deal to drop it in the pod at night. Once in a while I'll need to plug in due to heavy usage. All apps are always properly closed and my device is operated exactly as it should be. I don't find 5.0 to improve battery life for me - and it might be a bit too buggy for a new BlackBerry owner.

04-16-09 04:51 PM
    upgrade to 5.0...battery life is far better
    craziest advice Ive heard ever. =)
    04-16-09 05:08 PM
    .206 battery life isnt as good as .168.

so far my battery doesnt last like it did with .168. but on .206 its still good enough not to downgrade OS
    04-16-09 06:02 PM
    yeah thats probably the phone or the battery. im a heavy user all day pandora, youtube, text/bbm/aim, internet, etc. and from about 6am to about 12midnight im at about %85.
    Hey Julian, I find that amazing! Could you elaborate as to what type of battery you are using; also, for how long do you use your applications during the day (especially pandora that should be the one that drains the battery the fastest)??

I am running the 206 OS and using pandora (or any other streaming radio for that matter) will very quickly drain my battery...

Thanks!
    04-16-09 06:56 PM
    I found that by turning off the gps locator helped a ton. I was gwtting similar battery life as yours. Turned the gps off and it more then doubled.

04-16-09 07:22 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD