Hi all,

I have a new BlackBerry Curve 8900 checked it last night and it did say 8900, (after my 8310 died on me) and I like the improvements on the kickass OS 4.6 and improved guts as well (and the WiFi as well.) I wonder if those three is a contributing factor to requiring me to charge on average once a day? On my old Curve, I was lucky if I could charge it every other day, since I get little voice calls. Even if I have my wireless off, I see more battery consumption.

Is this normal?
    Last edited by SMB.CrackBerry.Addict; 10-31-09 at 10:42 AM.
    10-30-09 05:43 PM
    For starters it is the 8900, not the 8910. Secondly, one day's battery life out of your device is completely normal. I highly suggest that you use the stand by feature as often as possible. I put the device into standby every time I put it down. I would also recommend that you get a charging cradle and charge the device each night when you go to sleep.
    10-30-09 06:48 PM
    You probably have a few apps open too, right? That is a killer.

If you need longer battery life get an extended battery or a Case-mate Fuel Case.
    10-30-09 08:36 PM
    Turn your screen down! That's the first thing I tell people, then watch how often you just leave apps open and all of that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 09:12 PM
    I too was having problems with my battery consumption, first i turned down the display brightness, then and this is what i think really helped is now when im not using the phone i always use the standby mode, that should work for you.Good luck
    10-30-09 09:24 PM
    Make sure you close all apps after using them.
    Use the lowest backlight brightness, and turn on auto dim.
    Always remember to put it on standby mode.

Buy a battery with more power if all those still not helping.
    10-31-09 03:48 AM
    For starters it is the 8900, not the 8910.
    My apologies for my ignorance. The constantly new models are becoming very confusing.

I would also recommend that you get a charging cradle and charge the device each night when you go to sleep.
    I do have a charging cable that I do plug in at night or in the morning. I use the standard charging procedures of all electronics to drain the battery to near low to wait till it gets to 100% to prevent the battery to degrade.

You probably have a few apps open too, right? That is a killer.
    Not as many anymore. Like Facebook - that was a killer, mostly on system resources, as well with battery life.

Turn your screen down! That's the first thing I tell people, then watch how often you just leave apps open and all of that.

What would you suggest the brightness should be placed at? 75%?

And I do close all apps when I am not using them

Always remember to put it on standby mode.

Buy a battery with more power if all those still not helping.
    How much less battery consumption if the standby mode is enabled? Will I still get calls and messages (alerted) if I have standby enabled? I have used the lock screen more on this Curve than the other one, for the added security feature.
    10-31-09 09:18 AM
    Lithium ion batteries should not be drained completely before charging. They do not have a memory like the old nickel batteries. It is even good to top off the batteries during the day by charging. You cannot overcharge lithium ion batteries. You'll kill your battery sooner by letting it drain all the way before you charge.
    10-31-09 12:45 PM
    I do have a charging cable that I do plug in at night or in the morning. I use the standard charging procedures of all electronics to drain the battery to near low to wait till it gets to 100% to prevent the battery to degrade.
    Not charging cable but cradle. Like this:

Newegg.com - BlackBerry ASY14396-007 Silver Chrome Desktop Charging Pod for 8900 - Cell Phone Accessories

As lak611 mentioned, your problem is that you are mishandling your battery in the way you are charging it. If you drain a Li-Ion battery too low you can (and probably will) damage it to some extent. By charging my device every night, I generally have well over 50% remaining at the end of the day and so I am well above draining my battery too low and damaging it. I would also suggest that as a rule of thumb you do not let your battery get lower than 20% charge.

Try to take better care of your battery and see how it goes over the next few weeks. It may turn out just fine but be prepared in that you possibly will need to purchase a new battery.
    10-31-09 12:54 PM
    I don't know exactly how much less battery consumption, but it is quite significant. I can get around 20-30% more.
    I used to have 20-30% at the end of the day, but after I always set it to standby mode, I'm usually left with 40-50% remaining.

And yes, you will still have calls and messages (alerted) if you have standby enabled.
    10-31-09 04:10 PM
    Not charging cable but cradle
    What's the difference between this charging dock than a wall adaptor?

I used to have 20-30% at the end of the day, but after I always set it to standby mode, I'm usually left with 40-50% remaining.

And yes, you will still have calls and messages (alerted) if you have standby enabled.
    Thanks for that tip, visualryan.
    10-31-09 06:52 PM
    What's the difference between this charging dock than a wall adaptor?

Thanks for that tip, visualryan.
    The charging pod saves wear and tear on the USB port. It charges just as fast as if you plugged the wall charger into the USB port on the BB, but you aren't subjecting the USB port to wear and tear every day. It also enables you to put your BB on your nightstand, put it in bedside mode and use it as an alarm clock.
    10-31-09 06:59 PM
    The charging pod saves wear and tear on the USB port. It charges just as fast as if you plugged the wall charger into the USB port on the BB, but you aren't subjecting the USB port to wear and tear every day. It also enables you to put your BB on your nightstand, put it in bedside mode and use it as an alarm clock.
    I'm with stupid!
    10-31-09 07:02 PM
    Ok, that makes sense. I believe that's why my old curve died, the USB port ether got busted or got a surge for whatever reason. The charger just to charge makes a lot sense now. I believe my ATT saleslady said something to this effect. I'd like to protect my investment - I might look into getting one of these.

Thanks all!
    10-31-09 07:05 PM
    I set the backlight brightness to 10%. Some people say it's easier on the battery that way. With the way I abuse my 8900, I can't imagine how much more often I have to charge it if I set the brightness to 100%. Besides, I don't like to have the screen too bright anyway.
    11-01-09 01:10 AM
    I set the backlight brightness to 10%. Some people say it's easier on the battery that way. With the way I abuse my 8900, I can't imagine how much more often I have to charge it if I set the brightness to 100%. Besides, I don't like to have the screen too bright anyway.
    10% is perfect actually! Thanks for that tip!
    11-02-09 10:46 AM
    You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Just sharing what I found from crackberry people.
    Read around here, you'll find tons of info.
    11-02-09 11:53 AM
    Heh heh I actually like my screen at 100%. I do use the standby feature and I usually end up with 40-50% by the end of the day. But do you guys get a battery leak when you have low reception? I leave my gmail application on and maybe a week or two ago I was having a battery drain when I had maybe a bar of reception.

11-02-09 12:01 PM
    Heh heh I actually like my screen at 100%. I do use the standby feature and I usually end up with 40-50% by the end of the day. But do you guys get a battery leak when you have low reception? I leave my gmail application on and maybe a week or two ago I was having a battery drain when I had maybe a bar of reception.

Ouch! My eyes hurt with 100% set
    Low reception always drains the battery.
    11-02-09 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD