03-09-09 02:11 AM
65 123
tools
    I'm not sure why everyone is so gung-hoe on having the newest update every other day. I have owned MANY different cell phones and smart phones and this is the only one I feel is perfect out of the box. I am using the same software that it came with (v4.6.1.114) and it works flawlessly! Also a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!" I just don't see any need to update unless something super spectacularly awesome happens. Like I don't know...maybe it increases the battery life to like a month or so or it increases internal memory by IDK, 1 terabyte! JMO.........Am I missing something super spectacular?
    03-08-09 05:39 PM
    Haven't you heard that unless you spend 12hrs a day downloading the latest OS, followed by 36hrs complaining on this and other forums about missing apps and icons due to the unofficial upgrade, then you are missing the point!!!
    Blackberry's are not designed to make calls.....they are designed to take over lives!!!!
    I totally respect your "who gives a t***" approach to all this latest b******* about must have OS !!!
    Surely if our network providers wanted us to have the update they would post it, wouldn't they??
    03-08-09 05:52 PM
    Haven't you heard that unless you spend 12hrs a day downloading the latest OS, followed by 36hrs complaining on this and other forums about missing apps and icons due to the unofficial upgrade, then you are missing the point!!!
    Blackberry's are not designed to make calls.....they are designed to take over lives!!!!
    I totally respect your "who gives a t***" approach to all this latest b******* about must have OS !!!
    Surely if our network providers wanted us to have the update they would post it, wouldn't they??
    Exactly.....
    03-08-09 05:59 PM
    I agree if it's not broken no need to update

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 06:08 PM
    Point of updates are to save yourself some battery life, fix bugs and hopefully gain a new feature that was not correctly working (believe this still falls under bugs)...

Try running your stock OS for a week then run the newest OS (.168 was the last), and tell me if you notice any difference. if you dont then you have a miracle BB that was blessed by RIM.
    03-08-09 06:17 PM
    Gotta disagree with you. The cynicism in your post leads me to believe you havent really attempted to upgrade in the past. Sure, i get the whole "if it aint broke dont fix it statement"...but let me ask you this....how do you know "it aint broke"? Sure everything works great on your phone running .114, but does your camera take a little bit to actually focus and take a picture? How is your battery life? These are things that are commonly fixed with an OS upgrade, the fact of the matter is...you could update your phone tonight and it could be much faster and give a more crisp resolution...or some other commonly reported improvement.

Myself, there are a few minor issues im trying to fix. Battery life is a bit blah, and my text is not word wrapping correctly. So like i stated before, i see where your coming from with your approach. But until you have actually upgraded, came back here and told us it was a waste of time. Ill take your rant with a grain of salt

03-08-09 06:21 PM
    I'm not sure why everyone is so gung-hoe on having the newest update every other day. I have owned MANY different cell phones and smart phones and this is the only one I feel is perfect out of the box. I am using the same software that it came with (v4.6.1.114) and it works flawlessly! Also a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!" I just don't see any need to update unless something super spectacularly awesome happens. Like I don't know...maybe it increases the battery life to like a month or so or it increases internal memory by IDK, 1 terabyte! JMO.........Am I missing something super spectacular?
    Good one more user who won't slow my download. Thanks! Spread your word!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 06:22 PM
    Point of updates are to save yourself some battery life, fix bugs and hopefully gain a new feature that was not correctly working (believe this still falls under bugs)...

Try running your stock OS for a week then run the newest OS (.168 was the last), and tell me if you notice any difference. if you dont then you have a miracle BB that was blessed by RIM.
    I understand what these updates are "supposed" to do for the phone, I am just saying I'm absolutely pleased with the way it works right now. What are these great improvements ya'll are talking about between my os and the newest update? Like I asked before, is there anything spectacular I am missing?
    03-08-09 06:24 PM
    See above...how long have you been using your 8900? How would you like an even more crisp resolution? Or maybe another halfday to a day of battery life? These are common things that the public is getting by doing an upgrade.
    03-08-09 06:27 PM
    I agree with TuneSoul, am perfectly happy with the way it came, the battery life is fine thanks. Wont be upgrading the OS I like it just the way it is
    03-08-09 06:27 PM
    Interesting thoughts from the OP. I am currently downloading the .174, anxiously awaiting the chance to upgrade my device, yet again. Just now I asked myself the same question, "Why do I like to tweak and update my device so much?"

Well, here's how I feel about it. I think it's exciting to find ways to improve my already highly functioning 8900. I never just leap right in and upgrade without studying out the threads of others testing it. But once I am confident it's an overall good OS... you bet I am gonna be right on top of it! Why not?

In other words, you are fine sticking to your original OS, but one of the biggest reasons I belong to Crackberry is because I love technology, and specifically blackberry technology. I'm here to learn more about it, find ways to improve my experience... and upgrading my OS is in my opinion a necessity to learn and improve.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "... and that's all I got to say about it."
    03-08-09 06:29 PM
    Gotta disagree with you. The cynicism in your post leads me to believe you havent really attempted to upgrade in the past. Sure, i get the whole "if it aint broke dont fix it statement"...but let me ask you this....how do you know "it aint broke"? Sure everything works great on your phone running .114, but does your camera take a little bit to actually focus and take a picture? How is your battery life? These are things that are commonly fixed with an OS upgrade, the fact of the matter is...you could update your phone tonight and it could be much faster and give a more crisp resolution...or some other commonly reported improvement.

Myself, there are a few minor issues im trying to fix. Battery life is a bit blah, and my text is not word wrapping correctly. So like i stated before, i see where your coming from with your approach. But until you have actually upgraded, came back here and told us it was a waste of time. Ill take your rant with a grain of salt

I appreciate your opinion, but my battery life is excellent and I don't think the camera takes that long to focus. I guess we all have different things we allow to bug us. I am sorry if my post came off as a "rant" I certainly didn't intend it as a rant, just wanted to say that I think my phone works flawlesly...that's all. Sorry if I offend anyone. Have a good one!
    03-08-09 06:29 PM
    I understand what these updates are "supposed" to do for the phone, I am just saying I'm absolutely pleased with the way it works right now. What are these great improvements ya'll are talking about between my os and the newest update? Like I asked before, is there anything spectacular I am missing?
    try listening to your BB for 8 hours as a mp3 player on 144 and then go to 168 or 174 and then do the same, on 144 your battery is gonna be 10-20% remaining. While on the newer OS your gonna have 50% or higher. Now if you a person sits at home with your phone charger next to you, then cool stay on 144 but if you have a fulltime job and do other things after work then go with me on the new OS.
    03-08-09 06:30 PM
    Ok i guess the main thing im saying is the fact that you have no idea what the outcome would be if you did an upgrade. You could love it, so ill take your "if it aint broke, dont fix it" statement....and raise you a "dont knock it till youve tried it"...
    03-08-09 06:31 PM
    Interesting thoughts from the OP. I am currently downloading the .174, anxiously awaiting the chance to upgrade my device, yet again. Just now I asked myself the same question, "Why do I like to tweak and update my device so much?"

Well, here's how I feel about it. I think it's exciting to find ways to improve my already highly functioning 8900. I never just leap right in and upgrade without studying out the threads of others testing it. But once I am confident it's an overall good OS... you bet I am gonna be right on top of it! Why not?

In other words, you are fine sticking to your original OS, but one of the biggest reasons I belong to Crackberry is because I love technology, and specifically blackberry technology. I'm here to learn more about it, find ways to improve my experience... and upgrading my OS is in my opinion a necessity to learn and improve.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "... and that's all I got to say about it."

Nicely put, thats one aspect i forgot to leave out in previous posts too..Its fun!! So why not...i promise you eventually there will be an upgrade that actually gives you features too. My 8320 didnt even have a video camera until i buiilt up the confidence to upgrade. Well worth the time
    03-08-09 06:34 PM
    You all make valid points, I guess I would update if I wasn't scared about nuking my baby blackberry Hey maybe one day!
    03-08-09 06:34 PM

Nicely put, thats one aspect i forgot to leave out in previous posts too..Its fun!! So why not...i promise you eventually there will be an upgrade that actually gives you features too. My 8320 didnt even have a video camera until i buiilt up the confidence to upgrade. Well worth the time
    Ya, I did the same with my 8320, getting a feature like video camera that it didn't have before is pretty awesome. What awesome features do you get with all of these updates? I am not being a cynic, I've been trying to ask what cool things have they added or improved? Specifics? Help me understand what I will gain with the update.
    03-08-09 06:41 PM
    You all make valid points, I guess I would update if I wasn't scared about nuking my baby blackberry Hey maybe one day!
    See, now i completely understand your point here Fob. It took me a long time to get the courage to do my first upgrade. But with the assistance of some of these great How To posts, i was able to do it. I even accidently bricked my berry once because i was removing some things from memory and did the wrong one. So i just found another how to post on recovering a dead blackberry and i was good to go. So yeah, i understand if you dont want to upgrade because you havent done it before, and are nervous about messing something up. But to say something isnt broke when there are numerous updates that were specifically created to improve a device....

If you had the opportunity to put brand new tires on your car for free would you do it? Sure your car may drive just fine, but why not see if you can get EVEN BETTER performance out of it.
    03-08-09 06:44 PM
    Ya, I did the same with my 8320, getting a feature like video camera that it didn't have before is pretty awesome. What awesome features do you get with all of these updates? I am not being a cynic, I've been trying to ask what cool things have they added or improved? Specifics? Help me understand what I will gain with the update.

Mainly what people have been gaining, is More Memory, which inturns makes your device run more smoothly between applications. Also UMA has gotten better, less calls are dropped if any. Also Giant Battery gain..... Ring Tones are louder at loud and normal at normal, which isnt true for release OS. The internet browsers are running faster of EDGE networks.
    03-08-09 06:45 PM
    No new features on any of these updates yet...but you should definitely see improvements on your existing features. I didnt think the resolution on my screen could be any better, but it is....much better in fact. So even though you may get good battery life out of your blackberry, wouldnt it be great if you could get even better? Wouldnt it be awesome if your phones interface was EVEN more responsive than it is? These are things you may be able to achieve.
    03-08-09 06:47 PM
    See, now i completely understand your point here Fob. It took me a long time to get the courage to do my first upgrade. But with the assistance of some of these great How To posts, i was able to do it. I even accidently bricked my berry once because i was removing some things from memory and did the wrong one. So i just found another how to post on recovering a dead blackberry and i was good to go. So yeah, i understand if you dont want to upgrade because you havent done it before, and are nervous about messing something up. But to say something isnt broke when there are numerous updates that were specifically created to improve a device....

If you had the opportunity to put brand new tires on your car for free would you do it? Sure your car may drive just fine, but why not see if you can get EVEN BETTER performance out of it.
    I'm starting to get the feeling you are an advocate on updating the os? You are quite the tenacious one!
    i mean for some people you might of got the upgrade price at 299 and MIR, but some paid full price. And for that much money if there was a way to make it better, i would be all over it. thats what makes you a crackberry, to be ahead of the game, to love your berry and make sure it is the best device possible. and to share that with others and help them along the way....
    Surely if it aint broke, RIM wouldn't need to update the OS in the first place ?
    Mainly what people have been gaining, is More Memory, which inturns makes your device run more smoothly between applications. Also UMA has gotten better, less calls are dropped if any. Also Giant Battery gain..... Ring Tones are louder at loud and normal at normal, which isnt true for release OS. The internet browsers are running faster of EDGE networks.
    Finally some answers! Thank you so much! I appreciate the info!
    03-08-09 06:49 PM
    not a problem, and if you ever want to update the OS, i can walk you through it on Y! on AIM just send me a message

PeNGuiNBoy17

its simple, and if you dont like it you can always go back to the original OS. this goes for anyone
    03-08-09 06:55 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD