I can't find where to go on my phone to change the APN settings.

I'm testing something to see if I can use Sidekick unlimited instead of BIS...just an experiment. So I need to change the APN.

Please help!
    04-26-09 02:48 PM
    Settings / Preferences -> Advanced Settings -> TCP/IP

Good luck
    04-26-09 02:56 PM
    Thanks!

If I am successful (doubtful) then I'll make a new thread and tell everyone.
    Very useful for us former SK users who had 19.99 for unlim data AND messages...
    04-26-09 02:57 PM
    Options > Advanced Options > TCP/IP
    04-26-09 02:58 PM
    Thanks!

If I am successful (doubtful) then I'll make a new thread and tell everyone.
    Very useful for us former SK users who had 19.99 for unlim data AND messages...
    Dude- HOWS THAT POSSIBLE? dont forget that sidekick and blackberry are different server.

G'LUCK
    04-26-09 03:05 PM
    Dude- HOWS THAT POSSIBLE? dont forget that sidekick and blackberry are different server.
    I know, I know, it sounds nuts, but I'm just curious.

By changing the APN settings, people were able to use Sidekick Data on an unlocked iPhone...I wonder if it could be done with a BB.
    04-26-09 03:06 PM
    I know, I know, it sounds nuts, but I'm just curious.

By changing the APN settings, people were able to use Sidekick Data on an unlocked iPhone...I wonder if it could be done with a BB.
    Artem, Yeah it sound NUTS! Ha.. You should give a try SK Data on BB.. What? You are serious, people use SK DATA on their Iphone? that's is VERY ODD! but they can use iphone for calling and text, not data. thats it.. HA! So where you get that inform or have link about that?

let us know hows turn out.. G'LUCK
    04-26-09 03:12 PM
    Artem, Yeah it sound NUTS! Ha.. You should give a try SK Data on BB.. What? You are serious, people use SK DATA on their Iphone? that's is VERY ODD! but they can use iphone for calling and text, not data. thats it.. HA! So where you get that inform or have link about that?

let us know hows turn out.. G'LUCK
    I'll post the link in a bit...it's from howardforums.com

Supposedly, people could use SK data (web, text, etc) on the iPhone by changing the APN settings to "hiptop.t-mobile.com" with the APN password settings as "dummy" for both username and password.

It sounds NUTS but a couple iPhoners swore by it. they said they were able to get EDGE internet and all that. They just said in their T-Mobile profiles that they were with a SK LX or something.

I've changed the APN settings and did a battery pull...I'll wait a while and then test things and report back.
    04-26-09 03:29 PM
    good luck!
    04-26-09 04:15 PM
    Even if you get this to work, and I think some here may have got this to work before, the connection will still be limited. Also you will not have access to the RIM (Blackberry) servers. This means that you will not have the ability to get your Push mail or use BBM, etc.
    04-26-09 04:32 PM
    Okay so it worked for me, but the internet seemed slow, no BBM, no email, no SocialScope...a couple programs worked, but the majority didn't. Not even Beejive.

So I'm back on my old 34.99 plan and everything's working okay

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 06:36 PM
    Okay so it worked for me, but the internet seemed slow, no BBM, no email, no SocialScope...a couple programs worked, but the majority didn't. Not even Beejive.

So I'm back on my old 34.99 plan and everything's working okay

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Really.. INTERESTING INDEED. However you will come back on BB Data later or so.. WANNA BET $ HA HA ... JK Good LUCK
    04-26-09 10:38 PM
    Well... it all depends on how much data you really use.
    I have my 8900 running on T-Zones (5.99 a month) and even tho BB Msgr doesn't work, it doesn't really matter, I can txt instead. but I have all other data stuff as gmail app, google maps with GPS, all the websites open, etc. works great and maybe its a little slower than BB plan, but I pay 30 bucks less than you guys so it works for me...

too bad they don't offer t-zones anybmore, so if you do't have it, you can't get it
    04-26-09 11:09 PM
    Really.. INTERESTING INDEED. However you will come back on BB Data later or so.. WANNA BET $ HA HA ... JK Good LUCK
    Haha as soon as I realized it didn't work I went RIGHT back to BB data. No doubt about that! haha

I have my 8900 running on T-Zones (5.99 a month) and even tho BB Msgr doesn't work, it doesn't really matter, I can txt instead. but I have all other data stuff as gmail app, google maps with GPS, all the websites open, etc. works great and maybe its a little slower than BB plan, but I pay 30 bucks less than you guys so it works for me...

too bad they don't offer t-zones anybmore, so if you do't have it, you can't get it
    Wow, that is cool!
    See, for me, Sidekick data didn't even work with the data apps I had, so all I could do was surf the web. Totally not worth it.

Does push email work for you? (just curious)
    I wish I could do t-zones but if BBM/push email doesn't work, then no way for me. Those are key features for me!
    04-26-09 11:20 PM

That is great that this option works for you but for most this will not be feasible because most 3rd party applications will not work. Neither will push mail nor BB Messenger (as you have mentioned).
    04-26-09 11:25 PM
    AsI menioned before BBM does nt work, also it doesn't let you configure the email, but if you have gmail (like me) then u get push email. About third party apps... I only installed all google apps, facebook, opera mini, bolt browser and they all work. I haven't tried any other
    04-27-09 10:01 AM
    Lucky me ..... grandfathered in at the $19.99 blackberry plan
    04-27-09 10:10 AM
    @Artemis68,

Thanks for the info! I was VERY curious if my SK $19.99 plan would work on the 8900. I have an iPhone now and everything works perfect so I was thinking of getting an 8900 and switching between the two but if my SK plan didn't work then I wouldn't even think about it.

Too many ppl on this forum seem to jump to saying that the sk plan only works on dangers servers and will not work with another device and as an iPhone user using the SK plan I know these ppl are giving out false information.
    05-15-09 08:04 PM
    Lucky me ..... grandfathered in at the $19.99 blackberry plan
    That's what my mom has. I have the $25 plan. It's nice that it has 400 texts included.
    05-15-09 10:10 PM
    That's what my mom has. I have the $25 plan. It's nice that it has 400 texts included.
    You must be MOMMMY-BOY? Ha i just kidding and dont take too personal, please.. mine plan is 30 bucks, thats it! however included 5 for insurance .
    05-15-09 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD