Hey guys, I asked this a few days ago in the Rogers forum and got no responses so I figured I'd try in here as I can't find an answer via searches.

When I got my phone the apn settings were blank. It was enabled but there was nothing written in the field underneath. About a week ago I realized that jmirc wasn't working for me because I had to enter internet.com into that field. The authentication fields are still blank and not enabled. But jmirc works now.

So my question was, how does entering internet.com into my apn settings change the way it connects? Does it make any difference at all from a billing standpoint? Everything else worked perfectly except jmirc, so I was curious what the difference was.

Thanks in advance everyone!
    06-05-09 12:33 AM
    I believe the difference is how the bb sends and receives the data. With tmobile, we're using epc.tmobile.com. Supposedly, it sends and receives data quicker than wap.voicestream.com. There's also internet2.com or something like that. I think they're carrier specific. Hope that helps.

Edit: billing shouldn't be different as long as you're using a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by dragonsamus; 06-05-09 at 12:48 AM.
    06-05-09 12:41 AM
    APNs are Access Point Names, and refer to the paths that a phone can use with the carrier. They are carrier specific, as they are part of the carriers network. The privlege to use them is defined by the data plan you are on, and is set by the carrier at the time of connection of the device to the network. Entering the information is only for the software on the phone to be informed.
    06-05-09 01:10 AM
    ok, good info, thanks guys!
    06-05-09 01:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD