I upgraded to my 8900 last week when my trusty 8700c died after three years of reliable service. The 8700 didn't have WiFi capability, so I'm somewhat unfamiliar with using it, but I know what it does. Here's what I'm not clear about: my T-Mobile plan is the "My Faves 300" with the "BB Unlimited Web + 400 Messages" - nothing about the extra $9.99 "Hot Spot" feature I keep hearing about. I have wireless capability in my office, so I've been leaving the WiFi/UMA activated full-time on my 8900. Am I paying additional for having my WiFi on?

Thanks for any input!
    04-30-09 10:41 AM
    You have to add it with TMobile - if you don't, you won't be charged. Also you are not charged for using WiFi Your device will connect and you can use UMA without signing up for the hotspot, but unless you order the $9.95 UMA hotspot, your minutes on UMA will count against your monthly minute bank.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 10:57 AM
    You have to add it with TMobile - if you don't, you won't be charged. Also you are not charged for using WiFi Your device will connect and you can use UMA without signing up for the hotspot, but unless you order the $9.95 UMA hotspot, your minutes on UMA will count against your monthly minute bank.

I think he means Wi-fi in general. You can use wi-fi for free at any hotspot location, to browse the web, and to make calls. Any calls you make will be deducted from your minutes unless you sign up for the unlimited hotspot calling. I use wi-fi all the time on my 8900.
    04-30-09 11:01 AM
    Here's a link to the wifi guide. You probably want to use WiFi when it's available, even if you don't want to pay for UMA's free minute plan as WiFi is a bit faster.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/comp...ifi-how-47229/

04-30-09 11:03 AM
    I think he means Wi-fi in general. You can use wi-fi for free at any hotspot location, to browse the web, and to make calls. Any calls you make will be deducted from your minutes unless you sign up for the unlimited hotspot calling. I use wi-fi all the time on my 8900.
    Right, and I answered that question as well, one is not charged for using WiFi

Last edited by exelant; 04-30-09 at 11:08 AM.
    04-30-09 11:05 AM
    UMA is awesome!! Gives me signal where I would otherwise have none.
    04-30-09 11:14 AM
    UMA is awesome!! Gives me signal where I would otherwise have none.
    Oh yeah, it is a great service, haha. My wife counts on being able to use her minute bank and mine as well, lol. I hardly use any minutes a month with UMA.

04-30-09 11:18 AM
    Thanks, guys - I really appreciate your input!
    04-30-09 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD