My Curve 8900 has been working fine, then suddenly this afternoon, i had left the phone on charge, and removed the charger, only find that none of the keypad buttons, the accept call, end call, blackberry menu or back button are working? The trackball works and can scroll left and right but clicking the trackball doe nothing either.

Everything else on phone appears to be working fine, accepting emails, calls, network working, etc.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Have tried removing battery and rebooting that way but to no avail.

Would a re-install of the software fix this possibly ???

Help please

Thanks.
    10-25-09 10:15 AM
    A backup, wipe and reinstall can't hurt. If it persists after that I'd execute
    a warranty exchange. That sound more of a device defect than an OS issue.
    10-25-09 10:21 AM
    I'm a complete newbie to backing up, etc.

The phone is vodafone branded but is unlocked and been using on 02
    so which OS should i re-install ??

Thanks!
    10-25-09 10:29 AM
    Install any OS you want... it does not matter... but you can always use your provider's approved OS... log on to O2's website and download it... otherwise you can download .310 and install that.

First, backup your device using DM.

If I have to Wipe my device I prefer CrackMem... download and install your OS... download and install CrackMem... start CrackMem, select the OS, click the Wipe button... this will wipe your device and load the OS selected.

Then reload your personal information using DM.
    10-25-09 10:58 AM
    Thanks for the guidance, i appreciate it.

where can i get the .310 os from? (Assume your talking about the new v5?)
    10-25-09 11:09 AM
    I never talk about OS 5.0 versions on the 8900 forum... .310 is the latest official OS for the 8900 and it's available in one of the sticky threads at the top of the 8900 forum.... you want OS 5.0 you need to go to the BETA OS forum.
    10-25-09 11:17 AM
    Ah yes sorry i saw the sticky after i posted.
    Will give this re-install of the software a go, weird how this happened.

As everythign else is working fine, and the trackball can move left/right just none of the keys are doing anything when pressed..

Surely must be a glitch with the software, not sure which version is installed currently as cannot check with the keypad not working.

Is there a way of doing a full factory reset ??
    10-25-09 11:40 AM
    Before you re-install the software there is one thing that is perhaps worth a try.

Do a battery pull and hold the back key (it's the one to the right of the trackball). This will bring the phone up in safe mode and if you have the same problem then, I think that you either need a replacement phone or an OS reinstall.
    10-25-09 01:30 PM
    Ah yes sorry i saw the sticky after i posted.
    Will give this re-install of the software a go, weird how this happened.

As everythign else is working fine, and the trackball can move left/right just none of the keys are doing anything when pressed..

Surely must be a glitch with the software, not sure which version is installed currently as cannot check with the keypad not working.

Is there a way of doing a full factory reset ??
    There are at least two ways:

1. Wipe your device as I described above, but don't reload your personal data with DM.

2. Options > Security Options > General Settings > Blackberry button > Wipe Handheld
    10-25-09 04:07 PM
    same issue.. but i think this may have to do with a few drops of coffee that fell on the keyboard

It suddenly went blank on me..then it came back up.. battery out for an hour worked..then stopped working. Then kept battery out for a night .. nothing! Backed it up ( thank God ) it interfaces with the computer still. reinstalled OS.. BUT nothing works. the trackball goes here there but doesnt click..NOTHING clicks
    02-05-11 03:26 AM
    I had the same problem with an 8900. I took out the memory stick and it worked. =S Very weird.
    02-05-11 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD