02-05-09 01:16 AM
34 12
tools
    [ deleted ]
    Last edited by Zagarinsky; 02-13-14 at 05:17 PM.
    02-02-09 09:36 PM
    Welcome!
    You might get alot of heat from users who don't think a BB is a BB without a data plan. And this is true, however... If you don't need it, it is still a great device to have.
    I personally like having access to my personal files transferred to my BB. Music, my sons' school schedule, and the phone itself if beautiful. There is so much more this phone can do for you, and you can still be happy without the data plan.
    That being said, I probably will get one at a later date. There are drawbacks if you can't pick up networks, etc.. as you know.

I think it's worth it, even without the plan. But i know it isn't as much fun
    02-02-09 09:44 PM
    Welcome!
    You might get alot of heat from users who don't think a BB is a BB without a data plan...
    I'll be number one, GET THE DATA PLAN! It's an all access pass into your blackberry. Although he is right that you don't necessarily a MUST, it would really be a big advantage to have it. I was iffy about getting it at first as well, but it is much more enjoyable with it, and I think most people agree that with the Blackberry comes the Blackberry Unlimited Internet Add-on

....its what everyone's doing
    02-02-09 09:49 PM
    If you have T-Zones or Web2Go you can get the Gmail and Opera Mini apps that will do it when you don't have WiFi, and or do. Looks like the actual plan would be best and also for the most part hassle free. With this you can only get your gmail, and or web-mail via Opera Mini.
    02-02-09 10:16 PM
    Like peanut butter without jelly *smh*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 10:25 PM
    Like peanut butter without jelly *smh*

lol....what about rees's? do you want jelly on your rees's?
    02-02-09 10:37 PM
    So on Feb 11th I was intending to purchase my first smartphone, an 8900, and I was really excited about it, until I read this post: "Disappointed with how limited WiFi is" (can't link with under 10 posts).

I have a T-Mobile voice plan and I have no intention of getting a data plan because I spend most of my time in places with free wifi access, so I don't need a data plan (or so I thought). That's was the main reason I want a smartphone... being able to browse the internet, get emails, IM, etc. whenever I feel like it through wifi.

So after reading that post, I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps somebody can tell me a little more about this. Would I be able to use all of the 8900's features without a data/Blackberry plan, through wifi? What will be restricted? Any information is helpful. Thank you.
    WIFI worked for me when I didn't have my plan activated yet... except messenger.
    02-02-09 10:39 PM
    The problem with not having a data plan is that some apps won't work without it (even over wifi)

I have contemplated the data plan vs no data plan in the past couple months and I decided if I get the 8900 I would get the data plan, but if I got something like an 8220, I would stick to just texting

Check out my thread about services you can use with just a texting plan: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=136544
    02-02-09 10:48 PM
    I'm not going to give you "heat" but two of the the things you mentioned push email and IM programs only work if you have a data plan. You can probably get to yahoo or google to check email, but it won't be delivered to your device without data. And the IM apps also need data to work. I just want you to not think you were mislead. With only WiFi, you will not be able to use some of the best features of a blackberry. You might want to try a different device.

02-02-09 10:48 PM
    I also plan on using the 8900 w/out the data plan. Correct my if i'm wrong, but all you can basically do is use the internet internet and email though the gmail site.
    Anyone know what else you can do without the data plan?
    02-02-09 10:49 PM
    While I myself wouldn't get a BB without a data plan, I understand that some may not want to get one. It's totally understandable since they are expensive and with today's economy...well...

My email actually did work over Wi-Fi but that might be because I alraedy have a data plan.

Web and apps work fine as well.

If you want messenger, get BeeJive. It works over Wi-Fi and doesn't require a data plan.
    02-02-09 10:49 PM
    Don't count on any rebates without the data plan as well. Rebates on BB's require the data to be added to qualify.
    02-02-09 10:50 PM
    Don't count on any rebates without the data plan as well. Rebates on BB's require the data to be added to qualify.
    whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!! to clear things up! that is a miscommunicated option! as shown in the rebate form word for word: "individual plan of $39.99 or higher per line of service, or a family plan of $49.99 or higher, PLUS a blackberry or web/data feature or a MESSAGING BUNDLE ADD-ON of 14.99 (which includes the 19.95 unlimited family time messaging add on"

MEANING: you can just have a text messaging plan that is 14.99 or higher to get the rebate!
    Last edited by andyr2007; 02-02-09 at 11:00 PM.
    02-02-09 10:56 PM
    whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!! to clear things up! that is a miscommunicated option! as shown in the rebate form word for word: "individual plan of $39.99 or higher per line of service, or a family plan of $49.99 or higher, PLUS a blackberry or web/data feature or a MESSAGING BUNDLE ADD-ON of 14.99 (which includes the 19.95 unlimited family time messaging add on"

MEANING: you can just have a text messaging plan that is 14.99 or higher to get the rebate!
    whew! that saved a lot of people. good info
    02-02-09 11:04 PM
    actually u can have the unlimited msging bundle (14.99) as an add-on to qualify. it's listed on the criteria, at least for the 8900.

back to the op, i was considering the same thing and using the wifi only, considering that browsing is definitely much faster and i'm always in range of a wifi network. however, i had changed my mind and did get the data plan because of what many others have mentioned before, it's just not a 'real' blackberry without its data plan. i'm a newb to the BB, but for my 8900 the IM apps didn't work without the data plan (i use AIM only). if u still are not getting the data plan, make sure u find the apps that will work for ur BB to make the most of it. i'm sure u'll get a lot of help from searching the boards here on CB. no matter what u decide, it's still a great phone and it's just a matter of making it cater to ur needs.
    02-02-09 11:05 PM
    So on Feb 11th I was intending to purchase my first smartphone, an 8900, and I was really excited about it, until I read this post: "Disappointed with how limited WiFi is" (can't link with under 10 posts).

I have a T-Mobile voice plan and I have no intention of getting a data plan because I spend most of my time in places with free wifi access, so I don't need a data plan (or so I thought). That's was the main reason I want a smartphone... being able to browse the internet, get emails, IM, etc. whenever I feel like it through wifi.

So after reading that post, I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps somebody can tell me a little more about this. Would I be able to use all of the 8900's features without a data/Blackberry plan, through wifi? What will be restricted? Any information is helpful. Thank you.
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

Here is a great thread where we have discussed basically the same thing. Please read through the entire thread (its only 2 pages) and I think you will have many, if not all, of your questions answered.

In short, you will not be able to use the Blackberry to its full potential without a Blackberry data plan however you can still get a lot of use from your phone. Keep in mind without a Blackberry data plan you will have to do more work on your end to setup and configure 3rd party applications in order to work-around not having the actual data plan.
    02-02-09 11:18 PM
    My bad...gotta learn to read!!
    02-02-09 11:22 PM
    no if....WHEN.....you must buy this phone...I've only had it for 13 hours and know its better than any of the other phones i've used in the past month, including 16gb 3g iPhone, blackberry storm, blackberry bold, blackberry curve 8320
    02-03-09 12:05 AM
    02-03-09 02:03 AM
    Hi Tumido,

I just wanted to clarify some points made earlier.

push email and IM programs only work if you have a data plan.
    The more accurate answer is that you will have to download other programs to have these two functionalities.

I have posted the links below, both programs will give you the exact same function as

i) PUSH email (can be configured to check inbox every 1 sec)

tiggit mail IMAP POP3 client for BlackBerry

ii) IM Programs (can communicate with any IM client)

Beejive - instant messaging anywhere

There are a few disadvantages, however,

a) you must be within WiFi zone
    b) consumes more battery
    c) additional configuration steps

I was going to mention additional cost, but in reality, this is a non issue as each program is <$30, and thus, the equivalent of 2 months of a data plan. You really have to analyze your particular needs and allowable funds, and make a decision that's right for YOU .

SK
    02-03-09 02:14 AM
    Well, after reading the post aristile linked to, I'm not so sure this phone is such a great idea for me. I mean the data plan is pretty expensive. My original plan was to get an unlocked iPhone off eBay to use with T-Mobile, and the only reason I abandoned that idea was that it cost about $600. But seeing as with this phone I'd have to pay an extra $200 + $960 for the 2 year contract I'd sign, that iPhone is looking much better right now. I don't know. I have some thinking to do in the next 8 days.
    What is the point of getting an iphone or a blackberry if you are not getting a data plan? Isn't that the purpose of having a smart phone?
    02-03-09 01:11 PM
    think of the internet as the PIPE mannnnn
    02-03-09 01:17 PM
    Well, after reading the post aristile linked to, I'm not so sure this phone is such a great idea for me. I mean the data plan is pretty expensive. My original plan was to get an unlocked iPhone off eBay to use with T-Mobile, and the only reason I abandoned that idea was that it cost about $600. But seeing as with this phone I'd have to pay an extra $200 + $960 for the 2 year contract I'd sign, that iPhone is looking much better right now. I don't know. I have some thinking to do in the next 8 days.
    search freelancers union discount
    02-03-09 01:18 PM
    I'm without Data and I seem to go well without it. I do plan to get one. That is when it goes down to $10 a month hahaha! Seriously, FOR ME (just to clear things out and not get into a heated debate with others), I don't necessarily need Data... for now. I'm good with Wi-Fi. I have access both at home and at the office. Outside the coverage area... I treat it as any simple phone. If they need to contact me, call me. No fancy email to check if I need to. Or even browse the net in the middle of downtown (or even nowhere haha). I just want the phone because it looks good. I'm actually enjoying my phone right now. Having no Data doesn't kill your BB. It just limits it. I betcha' you were ok with your old phones back then when Data wasn't invented. You lived through with it right?! What's the difference now? And I betcha someone's going to react to this comment saying "Here's the difference!", but that's not my point LOL! Anyways, enjoy what you have right now! You've got all the time in the world if you ever decide to get Data
    02-03-09 02:23 PM
    I'm without Data and I seem to go well without it. I do plan to get one. That is when it goes down to $10 a month hahaha! Seriously, FOR ME (just to clear things out and not get into a heated debate with others), I don't necessarily need Data... for now. I'm good with Wi-Fi. I have access both at home and at the office. Outside the coverage area... I treat it as any simple phone. If they need to contact me, call me. No fancy email to check if I need to. Or even browse the net in the middle of downtown (or even nowhere haha). I just want the phone because it looks good. I'm actually enjoying my phone right now. Having no Data doesn't kill your BB. It just limits it. I betcha' you were ok with your old phones back then when Data wasn't invented. You lived through with it right?! What's the difference now? And I betcha someone's going to react to this comment saying "Here's the difference!", but that's not my point LOL! Anyways, enjoy what you have right now! You've got all the time in the world if you ever decide to get Data
    Just wondering: Do you get ever get envious that you're not able to do certain things by not having a data plan, such being able to use BlackBerry Messenger or doing other things that require data?
    02-03-09 02:34 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD