01-23-09 01:16 AM
41 12
tools
    I just got my 8900 today, i transferred all my data from my 8320 to my 8900. 6 or 7 times today the phone has rebooted on its own. Sometimes back to back...does anyone know what i could do to fix this. I called Tmobile and they said this can happen the first 24hrs of owning the phone. But if it would continue after that i would have to send it back....which i do not want to do. I am running .114 (latest 8900 os)
    01-22-09 05:50 PM
    Is it Tmo branded?
    01-22-09 06:08 PM
    First thing I would do is wipe everything off that you have transferred from the previous device in attempt to troubleshooting whether or not something from the previous device is to blame.
    01-22-09 06:08 PM
    If you loaded a backup from the 8320 then I would check to see what 3rd party applications are there. Some may be working correctly and others may be causing problems.
    01-22-09 06:11 PM
    Yes it is tmobile branded. Im going to go ahead and delete my third party apps from the device change. Do a battery pull and see what happens.
    01-22-09 06:59 PM
    Yes it is tmobile branded. Im going to go ahead and delete my third party apps from the device change. Do a battery pull and see what happens.
    Keep us posted to see if that worked or not.
    01-22-09 07:00 PM
    i never transfer stuff from an old blackberry to a new one it can pose problems at times. I didn't do a restore when i got my 8900 today. all i put in my phone was google sync to put my contacts in and then i put in Beejive and flycast. But my new 8900 i got today is running fast and smooth with out any hicups or reboots.

Do a wipe and then when it is done and the phone is all booted up do a battery pull while the device is on and you should be good to go.
    01-22-09 07:07 PM
    So i just removed all the 3rd party apps i installed, and 2 minutes after a battery pull it rebooted. I really really dont want to send this phone back in...
    01-22-09 07:10 PM
    i never transfer stuff from an old blackberry to a new one it can pose problems at times. I didn't do a restore when i got my 8900 today. all i put in my phone was google sync to put my contacts in and then i put in Beejive and flycast. But my new 8900 i got today is running fast and smooth with out any hicups or reboots.

Do a wipe and then when it is done and the phone is all booted up do a battery pull while the device is on and you should be good to go.

Digital, can you please explain what you did to import your contacts? Im not familiar with google sync.
    01-22-09 07:11 PM
    try to install a different OS on there and see if that helps at all and when your done installing the new OS do a battery pull once the phone has fully rebooted and post back here and let me know how it worked out for you.

What applications did you install on your 8900?
    01-22-09 07:12 PM

Digital, can you please explain what you did to import your contacts? Im not familiar with google sync.
    with google sync i can transfer all of my contacts with there email address and everything right to my blackberry. so if i put a new os in i can re download google sync and run it again and it restores all of your contacts.

But you need to import your contacts into a gmail account if you have one. here is the direct link to google sync Google Mobile - Sync
    Last edited by digital75; 01-22-09 at 07:23 PM.
    01-22-09 07:15 PM
    I got myspace, facebook, bookworm, livesearch, autostandby, pacman and thats about it. I deleted them all and did a battery pull.
    01-22-09 07:31 PM
    I would do a factory reset or whatever and then see what happens. I never did the backup thing on my new blackberry and so far it's working great. No reboots until I tell it to! Just do a factory reset and see what happens and then install all your programs from the net.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 07:38 PM
    What about a SD card? That sometimes causes reboots.

01-22-09 07:44 PM
    I installed my 8gb card earlier, i just took it out and put it back in. Well see if perhaps that could be causing it.
    01-22-09 07:45 PM
    Try the phone without it. If that is the cause, take the card out, back it up on your pc, reformat it in your 8900, then restore it and put it back in.

01-22-09 07:55 PM
    I really suggest at this point that you backup your phone including your 3rd party applications (see the procedure in my signature) and then once you have the backup, start form scratch. Completely wipe your phone with CrackMem or JL Commander, and then reinstall the OS. Test to see what happens. Next add back your memory card, see how that goes. Finally add in your 3rd Party applications one at a time and test after each one. Through this process you are sure to find out the problem.
    01-22-09 08:05 PM
    Thanks for the help, since i reinserted the microsd card it hasnt rebooted yet. No more reboots yet, so im gonna see if that was it.
    01-22-09 08:09 PM
    Thanks for the help, since i reinserted the microsd card it hasnt rebooted yet. No more reboots yet, so im gonna see if that was it.
    Hopefully that's all it was and you will be good to go now. If you still experience problems I would highly suggest following the suggestions in my last post.
    01-22-09 08:21 PM
    I was having problems like this with my TMO 8320 and sometimes it wouldnt happen for days, BuT NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING made this problem go away !! my advice would be to send this device back before its too late !! you will regret it later I promise you that !! its a pain to do it, but nip it in the bud and settle for a device that operates at no less than 100%. we all waited for this device for for to long to have anything less !!
    01-22-09 09:38 PM
    I was having problems like this with my TMO 8320 and sometimes it wouldnt happen for days, BuT NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING made this problem go away !! my advice would be to send this device back before its too late !! you will regret it later I promise you that !! its a pain to do it, but nip it in the bud and settle for a device that operates at no less than 100%. we all waited for this device for for to long to have anything less !!

Heres the problem, i am not a business customer...but i still managed to order the phone. To the above poster, i am in the process of upgrading my os now...but it got stuck midway through. So it seems like i might be bricked now. I have to see what happens. I am really really hoping that my 8900 will be fine after this upgrade..
    01-22-09 09:45 PM
    Well I wish you the absolute best and sincerely hope that this works for you !!

i still have my 8320, and cant even figure out what to do with it cause its so broken.

I would hate to see anyone else in this situation !!

GOOD LUCK !!
    01-22-09 09:47 PM
    I'm betting it was your SD card. Sometimes with the new OSes you need to reformat the card in your phone to solve the rebooting issue.
    01-22-09 09:49 PM
    Thanks for that suggestion david, since im already in the process of upgrading i will see what happens once im back up and running.. If it happens again ill format. Thanks for some reassuring words.
    01-22-09 09:55 PM
    Agree with .M.E.

My 8310 worked great for 10 months then started rebooting soon after installing 4.5. AT&T couldn't find the problem. Removed all applications and media card, etc, etc. but problem still recurring. I've been told this is a hardware, not a software, problem.

If this happened to me with a phone under warranty I'd send it back immediately for a replacement.
    01-22-09 10:07 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD