I am not sure if I have a bad phone here. If my phone is in my pocket and I walk by almost any speakers I cause interference. If my phone is in my chest pocket and I am using a land line I send interference of the handset.
    If I am driving around and using Pandora I send interference over my car stereo.
    Last night I was walking down the alley behind my apartment. I walked under the overhead power lines which had a transformer on the pole along with a street light. The transformer started buzzing when I was under it. If I moved away from the transformer the buzzing would stop.

Is this excessive broadcast radiation from the 8900 ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 11:08 PM
    It has nothing to do with radiation. This article explains it pretty well.

That Crazy GSM Buzz

The cause of this buzzing has to do with GSM's "time division" nature. The ever-knowledgeable Keith Nowak, spokesperson for Nokia, explains it as follows: "[[With GSM]] the RF transmitter is turned on/off at a fast rate, and that 'pulsing' is often picked up by nearby devices that don't have good RF shielding. In the case of GSM the pulse rate is 217 Hz, which can be easily heard."

Verizon and Sprint CDMA phones don't have this buzzing sound because their transmitter is on most of the time, according to Nowak. As a result, the pulsing effect generally doesn't occur.

"The interference to other devices is worse the further the phone is from the cellular tower," Nowak continued. "This is because the network requires the phone to transmit at a higher level the further away it is from the tower. In addition, the interference to a device will be worse the closer the phone is to the device being interfered with."
    04-25-10 11:41 PM
    Good article. Thanks.
    Looks like things have not changed much since 2007.
    I believe it still is radiation.

04-27-10 01:58 AM
    Good article. Thanks.
    Looks like things have not changed much since 2007.
    I believe it still is radiation.

LOL dude is well known interference. any TDMA device will do it, however i find that iDEN 800 Mhz (nextel devices) and 850 Mhz GSM/EDGE devices do it loudest. when my phone is on 3G, it wont do it at all.

and there is no way your phone created anywhere near enough output or "radiation" to cause an overhead transformer to buzz.
    04-27-10 04:17 AM
    All I can say is if the phone is really causing a buzz in that kind of transformer then you're already dead. Wasn't happening, you just thought it was. Pure coincidence.

And as for hearing the interference that all depends on what you are near. The wavelengths will act differently as they pass through different mediums. For instance, typical speaker wire will have a loud buzz but Ethernet cables won't be prone to that as they are shielded and are twisted with grounding wires on the inside.

Different radio frequencies will act differently also. Changes are the 2100Mhz frequency is doing it a lot more but is probably outside of your hearing range so you will never notice. But the 800Mhz-ish range is probably easier to hear.
    04-27-10 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD