10-21-09 11:45 PM
74 123
tools
    I have been using the Bold for about a week now and I must say that not all curve owners will like the Bold. The size difference between the two may not be much but it is noticeable and a bit clunky in comparison. On top of that if you really like and are familiar with the keyboard on the curve like I am then I think it is very probable that you will not like the Bold's keyboard. I was surprised by these realizations because I have larger hands I thought the Bold was going to be more comfortable. I was definitely wrong there, I still really can't get adjusted to the keyboard difference.
    12-17-08 05:29 PM
    Here is a follow-up since I have had the Bold about a month now...

Bold, I like it. Its a great phone it really is, its just not for me. Surprizingly I got use to the size of the Bold and that is no longer an issue at all. However, I ordered the 8900 the other day from SN Traders and I expect it to be here on Tuesday. I actually expect the 8900 will feel small at first since I am now used to the size of the Bold. I would say if you really like and want 3G, but you are set on the form-factor of the Curve, give the Bold a chance to tide you over until the 9220 drops as long as you can afford to do so.

There are two "problems" that I can't get used to and they both relate to how I like to use the phone with one hand. First is the battery door. When I go to lock the phone with one hand I'd say 7 out of 10 times, at least, I end up pushing the battery door button and the door comes loose and/or falls off. The second thing is when I am typing with my right hand, I tend to have a tough time pressing the "E" and "R" keys. It has something to do with the way the keys are angled and the direction my thumb is coming from. I find I have the most success if I go "past" they keys first and then press them on the "way back". I hope that makes sense. Anyway I think those 2 things are minor and are probably more of a problem of how I like to use the phone than anything else so take it for what its worth. I also realize that I could press the "K" button (amoung a few others) to lock the phone but I prefer to use the button on the top of the phone - personal preference.
    01-18-09 01:47 AM
    Thank you. Other people have mentioned that the battery cover comes off Bold whilst taking it out of holster.

I was reading on the other BB forum about 8900 and there seems to some issue with the catch on the battery door.
    01-18-09 02:22 AM
    Tomorrow is the last day that I can return the Bold to Best Buy so I went return it today. No problems at all, got all my money back. I did take good care of Bold so it was in new condition. I did notice after I returned it that I left the screen protector on as well as the electrical tape on the inside of the battery door, but no one noticed. The guy even took off the battery door but I think he was just checking to make sure the battery was in there. I did wipe the phone, reinstall the OS, remove my SD and SIM cards. Oh well, no biggie.

I will try to be as unbiased as I can because both really are great phones.

9000 Highlights

Build quality is really nice. The phone has a good "feel" to it. I'm not too sure how to explain it but it feels like a phone that is mostly metal even though it may not be. The way I can think to describe it is that the 9000 has a similar feel to it as my old Razr did.

I really did like the feel of the 9000 keyboard better than the 8900 but at the same time I did not like the angled keys. Even after a month of use I never really got used to the angled keys. I frequently use my Blackberry with one hand (my right hand) to type which was always difficult with the 9000, I could never get comfortable doing so with this phone. If the keys were not angled on the 9000 I think it would have the best keyboard.

The speaker sounds great. I mean really good. Even thinking back about the them now, I am still impressed with the speakers on the Bold.

The screen is also very nice. I have no complaints on the screen at all. The colors look great and the contrast is nice. All detailed pictures I viewed on the Bold just looked great. Videos also looked very good.

9000 Lowlights

As mentioned before, they keyboard. I really am split on the keyboard for the 9000. Besides for the angled keys, I like it a lot. However since the keys are angled, this was a deal breaker for me. Sorry if I spent a lot of time talking about the keyboard but I think that really is an important feature of a Blackberry, at least for me it is.

The 9000 is bulky. There's no two ways around it. After using it for a month I sort-of got used to the size increase but not really. It never really did have that "comfortable" factor. With my 8310 and even the 8900 I get the feeling like the phone belongs in my hand but with the 9000 I was always aware that I had a phone in my hand. If that makes any sense.

Sluggish. I didn't even realize the 9000 was sluggish until after I got my 8900. The 8900 is just flat out snappier than the 9000 and this has to be due to the increase in available memory. I know Bold lovers may try to disagree with this but that's what I noticed. I think its worth noting also that I did not set out thinking the 8900 would be faster. In fact it was just the opposite. I assumed the 8900 would lag slightly due to the slower processor but I was pleasantly surprised by the actual results I experienced.

The battery door. This also was a big issue for me. Maybe some could deal with it but for me I never did like it. The thing would come loose and/or fall of frequently when I was using the phone, especially when I was using one hand to put the phone into standby mode. There were also times when the battery door would come loose just when I touched the bottom of the phone the wrong way. On top of these issue, the battery door had a little play in it. This was remedied with a few pieces of electrical tape on the underside of the battery door.

8900 Highlights

The size of the 8900 is just "right". At least for me it was. This could be because I am a Curve lover but I do know it just feels good in my hand. It is not bulky or cumbersome at all. The phone really just feels familiar.

Same goes for the keyboard, it is very similar to the old Curve keyboard. The keys, as previously reported, do not have such a loud sound to them when they are pressed. This was never an issue for me on the Curve anyway but the improvements are still noticeable with the 8900.

The black trackball is very nice. I know some have had complaints about it but I don't. I like the improvements. It does have a sort of texture to it but I find this helps in using the device. I fly through the menus with no problems, if anything even faster and with more ease whan with the 8310 or the 9000.

Snappy. The 8900 has a very quick response. Wheather it comes to opening applications, closing applications, opening or closing menus, or closing folders (this was noticable slow on the 9000) the 8900 is just plain fast. I was not expecting this result at all and it was a pleasent surprise.

I really like the memory card slot much more on the 8900 as compared to the 9000. I just never was sold on the memory card door concept on the Bold. It seemed to me that over time, if used frequently, the memory card door on the Bold will break. I think the 8900 solution is much better. I'm sure some will disagree and will even think just the opposite.

The screen on the 9000 was very nice and the 8900 is even better. The detail is just great, but I can say the same for both phones.

8900 Lowlights

You can tell that the phone housing is made out of plastic. By no means does this mean that the 8900 feels "cheap" or "flimsy". I would not describe the phone in either of these ways at all. It does feel solid but at the same time it has a different feel to it than the 9000. It doesn't have that "metallic" feel to it. I hope that makes sense.

No available themes ... I just couldn't resist putting this in here.

Micro-USB location. This really is annoying because it is difficult to type using just your right hand, which I like to do, if the charger is plugged into the phone. If you happen to type with your left hand then this is a non-issue. Something tells me the designer of the 8900 was left handed or at least the engineer that placed the charger location was. This is something I can deal with, however. I purchased a charging cradle and I will just charge the phone each night next to my bed.

The battery door here also. It was loose when I first got the phone. There were times if you are holding just the batter door in your palm and the phone shifted that you felt like the phone was falling out of your hand so there was a second of anxiety. As with the Bold, a bit of electrical tape resloved the issue here also.

Conclusion

I hope this covers everything. I'm probably forgetting to comment on something or taking something for granted. If so, please ask. I think both are great phones. You can't really go wrong with either model. For me personally the two biggest things were the size difference and the keyboard. 3G was meaningless to me so that did not factor in. For some, it may be important. Please remember that the 8900 has improved EDGE so I do not think the difference from that and 3G is a big deal. I also would suspect that the "snappyness" of the 8900 will also factor in with the browsing speed. As a former Curve owner, I never really did get comfortable with the Bold and on the other hand I was instantly familiar and comfortable with the 8900.

In case anyone was wondering, there is basically nothing I can say on the 83xx that is better than the 8900 or the 9000. Maybe the external speaker volume if anything but I'm not too sure on that.
    01-23-09 10:30 PM
    aristile, thanks for sharing, escpecially the pics. The Bold does dwarf the 8900. Pretty big size difference. Same size as the older Curves?

I wanted to like the Bold because it was the "latest and greatest," but I could not get used to the larger sized device. Being a long time Pearl user, small form factor is very important to me. Maybe I will like the 8900 or whatever similar device AT&T will roll out. Maybe not. I was never a big fan of the Curve's smaller keys compared to the Pearl's larger keys. With that being said, I hope I can get used to a full QWERTY keyboard. Now, if RIM releases a next generation Pearl, I am all over it!
    01-24-09 03:49 AM
    aristile, thanks for sharing, escpecially the pics. The Bold does dwarf the 8900. Pretty big size difference. Same size as the older Curves?

I wanted to like the Bold because it was the "latest and greatest," but I could not get used to the larger sized device. Being a long time Pearl user, small form factor is very important to me. Maybe I will like the 8900 or whatever similar device AT&T will roll out. Maybe not. I was never a big fan of the Curve's smaller keys compared to the Pearl's larger keys. With that being said, I hope I can get used to a full QWERTY keyboard. Now, if RIM releases a next generation Pearl, I am all over it!
    Not a problem, you are welcome. The 8900 is pretty much the same size as the 83xx but thinner, and it is definitely noticeable. I'm with you on the Bold, I could not get used to the size either. I think it would be even more difficult for someone to adjust coming from a Pearl. Maybe look into the Pearl flip if Pearls are your thing.
    01-24-09 07:36 AM
    From reviewing the specs of the 83xx vs. the 8900, the 8900 is a tad thinner and a tad longer. The 8900 is definitely more sleeker looking. I will definitely check one out once they hit the stores. And if I like it, I will patiently await for AT&T to roll it out or a similar device, maybe with 3G.

I did play with a Pearl Flip at a T-Mobile store. It was ok. The only thing I did not really like about it was the browser. I had the browser set on column view and I still had to scroll side to side to view web pages, which is a royal pain. Maybe that is the nature of the beast, but I don't like it. With the browser set on column view on my Pearl 8110, I just have to scroll up and down, not side to side to view web pages.

Not a problem, you are welcome. The 8900 is pretty much the same size as the 83xx but thinner, and it is definitely noticeable. I'm with you on the Bold, I could not get used to the size either. I think it would be even more difficult for someone to adjust coming from a Pearl. Maybe look into the Pearl flip if Pearls are your thing.
    01-24-09 08:08 AM
    Tomorrow is the last day that I can return the Bold to Best Buy so I went return it today. No problems at all, got all my money back. I did take good care of Bold so it was in new condition. I did notice after I returned it that I left the screen protector on as well as the electrical tape on the inside of the battery door, but no one noticed. The guy even took off the battery door but I think he was just checking to make sure the battery was in there. I did wipe the phone, reinstall the OS, remove my SD and SIM cards. Oh well, no biggie.

9000 Highlights

Build quality is really nice. The phone has a good "feel" to it. I'm not too sure how to explain it but it feels like a phone that is mostly metal even though it may not be. The way I can think to describe it is that the 9000 has a similar feel to it as my old Razr did.

I really did like the feel of the 9000 keyboard better than the 8900 but at the same time I did not like the angled keys. Even after a month of use I never really got used to the angled keys. I frequently use my Blackberry with one hand (my right hand) to type which was always difficult with the 9000, I could never get comfortable doing so with this phone. If the keys were not angled on the 9000 I think it would have the best keyboard.

The speaker sounds great. I mean really good. Even thinking back about the them now, I am still impressed with the speakers on the Bold.

The screen is also very nice. I have no complaints on the screen at all. The colors look great and the contrast is nice. All detailed pictures I viewed on the Bold just looked great. Videos also looked very good.

9000 Lowlights

As mentioned before, they keyboard. I really am split on the keyboard for the 9000. Besides for the angled keys, I like it a lot. However since the keys are angled, this was a deal breaker for me. Sorry if I spent a lot of time talking about the keyboard but I think that really is an important feature of a Blackberry, at least for me it is.

The 9000 is bulky. There's no two ways around it. After using it for a month I sort-of got used to the size increase but not really. It never really did have that "comfortable" factor. With my 8310 and even the 8900 I get the feeling like the phone belongs in my hand but with the 9000 I was always aware that I had a phone in my hand. If that makes any sense.

Sluggish. I didn't even realize the 9000 was sluggish until after I got my 8900. The 8900 is just flat out snappier than the 9000 and this has to be due to the increase in available memory. I know Bold lovers may try to disagree with this but that's what I noticed. I think its worth noting also that I did not set out thinking the 8900 would be faster. In fact it was just the opposite. I assumed the 8900 would lag slightly due to the slower processor but I was pleasantly surprised by the actual results I experienced.

The battery door. This also was a big issue for me. Maybe some could deal with it but for me I never did like it. The thing would come loose and/or fall of frequently when I was using the phone, especially when I was using one hand to put the phone into standby mode. There were also times when the battery door would come loose just when I touched the bottom of the phone the wrong way. On top of these issue, the battery door had a little play in it. This was remedied with a few pieces of electrical tape on the underside of the battery door.

8900 Highlights

The size of the 8900 is just "right". At least for me it was. This could be because I am a Curve lover but I do know it just feels good in my hand. It is not bulky or cumbersome at all. The phone really just feels familiar.

Same goes for the keyboard, it is very similar to the old Curve keyboard. The keys, as previously reported, do not have such a loud sound to them when they are pressed. This was never an issue for me on the Curve anyway but the improvements are still noticeable with the 8900.

The black trackball is very nice. I know some have had complaints about it but I don't. I like the improvements. It does have a sort of texture to it but I find this helps in using the device. I fly through the menus with no problems, if anything even faster and with more ease whan with the 8310 or the 9000.

Snappy. The 8900 has a very quick response. Wheather it comes to opening applications, closing applications, opening or closing menus, or closing folders (this was noticable slow on the 9000) the 8900 is just plain fast. I was not expecting this result at all and it was a pleasent surprise.

I really like the memory card slot much more on the 8900 as compared to the 9000. I just never was sold on the memory card door concept on the Bold. It seemed to me that over time, if used frequently, the memory card door on the Bold will break. I think the 8900 solution is much better. I'm sure some will disagree and will even think just the opposite.

The screen on the 9000 was very nice and the 8900 is even better. The detail is just great, but I can say the same for both phones.

8900 Lowlights

You can tell that the phone housing is made out of plastic. By no means does this mean that the 8900 feels "cheap" or "flimsy". I would not describe the phone in either of these ways at all. It does feel solid but at the same time it has a different feel to it than the 9000. It doesn't have that "metallic" feel to it. I hope that makes sense.

Micro-USB location. This really is annoying because it is difficult to type using just your right hand, which I like to do, if the charger is plugged into the phone. If you happen to type with your left hand then this is a non-issue. Something tells me the designer of the 8900 was left handed or at least the engineer that placed the charger location was. This is something I can deal with, however. I purchased a charging cradle and I will just charge the phone each night next to my bed.

The battery door here also. It was loose when I first got the phone. There were times if you are holding just the batter door in your palm and the phone shifted that you felt like the phone was falling out of your hand so there was a second of anxiety. As with the Bold, a bit of electrical tape resloved the issue here also.

Conclusion

I hope this covers everything. I'm probably forgetting to comment on something or taking something for granted. If so, please ask. I think both are great phones. You can't really go wrong with either model. For me personally the two biggest things were the size difference and the keyboard. 3G was meaningless to me so that did not factor in. For some, it may be important. Please remember that the 8900 has improved EDGE so I do not think the difference from that and 3G is a big deal. I also would suspect that the "snappyness" of the 8900 will also factor in with the browsing speed. As a former Curve owner, I never really did get comfortable with the Bold and on the other hand I was instantly familiar and comfortable with the 8900.

In case anyone was wondering, there is basically nothing I can say on the 83xx that is better than the 8900 or the 9000. Maybe the external speaker volume if anything but I'm not too sure on that.
    Million thanks for those pictures I obviously see.. I am like the F***KING 8900 screen is more wide & stretch than 8300. it makes me wanting to get the TMO 8900 in feb..

Once again, million thanks!
    Last edited by FARBES; 01-26-09 at 11:17 PM.
    01-26-09 11:13 PM
    It may help to think of these two screens in terms of ratio ...

480 by 360 (120,240,360,480)
    4:3 Ratio which is common for a standard TV or computer monitor

480 by 320 (160,320,480)
    3:2 Ratio which is common for typical D-SLR camera output

And of course a widescreen Ratio = 16:9

Last edited by Blue_Man; 01-27-09 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Thanks
    01-27-09 07:17 PM
    Just wanted to post one more difference between the two ...

BOLD Video Camera Max Resolution: 480 x 352
    8900 Video Camera Max Resolution: 240 x 180

I don't know why they would do this, maybe the processor is not quick enough to cache the video ...???
    01-27-09 09:42 PM
    Just wanted to post one more difference between the two ...

BOLD Video Camera Max Resolution: 480 x 352
    8900 Video Camera Max Resolution: 240 x 180

I don't know why they would do this, maybe the processor is not quick enough to cache the video ...???
    BlackBerry - Specifications - BlackBerry Curve 8900 Specs

They should also update the standby time
    01-27-09 11:55 PM
    I know there has been a lot of speculation about the 8900's enhanced edge vs the bold's 3g argument, but I'm still waiting for an actual side-by-side speed test between the two phones with their upgraded OS.
    01-28-09 09:37 PM

9000 Highlights

9000 Lowlights

8900 Highlights

8900 Lowlights

Conclusion

Thanks ever so much for this

The 8900 is still not out here in Hong Kong (though the Bold was available on the first day..) so I will wait for it.

I have a 2 year old Pearl and love the small form factor but get P** when the typing goes wrong.... Sometimes the predictive text just has a mind of its own....

And of course I really DO need a new toy!
    01-31-09 06:08 PM
    Nice review! Been searching for hours for something like this
    02-07-09 11:27 PM
    What is the internal memory of the 8900? One thing I think is ridiculous on the Bold is with 1G internal mem, only 128K is available for operating use and 3rd party apps. I think I heard that the 8900 has 256K available for operating use.
    yes you are right. Bold 9000 has 128MB ROM where as the Curve II 8900 has 256MB ROM.
    03-05-09 01:38 AM
    Anybody familar with how much internal memory (not ROM) the Curve 8900 has? Also, can themes and applications be installed on the SD card?

Many thanks!
    05-10-09 08:37 AM
    As far as I know, we still can't install apps on the SD card. CMIIW.

I used to have 8820. And judging from the dimensions and the keyboard, I think bold is the new 88XX.
    And 8900 is the new 83XX. Pardon my language. I just don't know how to say it well.

When I first had 8820, I liked the keyboard very much, then I switched to 8310. It took me quite some time to adjust with the keyboard.
    In time I become used to the keyboard. I've just recently switched to 8900. And truth be told, 8310's keyboard is better than 8900.

But now that I'm used to curve's keyboard, when I tried my friend's bold yesterday, somehow it felt not as nice as I remember from the 8820.

That's just what I think about the keyboard from my experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 10:03 AM
    GUys...the extra memory from the Curve, when is it used? While multi-tasking and pulling up files?

Also, if i don't have 3G and i'm surfing the web, am i gonna get incoming calls or will they go to answering?
    06-07-09 10:44 PM
    Now THIS is what I'm talking about for next year ...

Supposed to be Touchscreen AND 3G.
    And if you think about it sms isn't passing data they run offthe voice service, I can do the same in gsm only coverage. Try acessing the internet while your on a phone call and then vs ev-do to umts or hspda.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Who will have this phone? AT&T???
    06-07-09 10:55 PM
    Thanks to this great thread... I upgraded from an 8310 to the 8900. At first I did not like the browser. But after changing the settings, it's better. So far, I'm happy with the upgrade.
    06-10-09 08:08 PM
    i thought id love having the 8900 more than my 9000, it hasnt been the case however. the extra screen realestate on the 9000 suits me more and also the keyboard is a lot more precise also.

theres a ton of extra memory, but it feels slow compared to my bold.

as a 24/7 device, i love the 8900 its got killer weight and size.

luckily for me, i get the best of both worlds a bold for business and a curve for personal
    if i had to choose one, i think speed and extra screen real estate on the bold would win me over
    06-11-09 03:09 AM
    Thanks to this great thread... I upgraded from an 8310 to the 8900. At first I did not like the browser. But after changing the settings, it's better. So far, I'm happy with the upgrade.
    yeah
    I am upgrading a 8320 to the 8900 so that it will be faster..... its good to hear this!

thanks

al
    07-27-09 02:54 PM
    I'm glad to find this thread. I switched to a 8900 from a 8320 and have not been very happy. The 8900's keys don't work as well for me, and to a large enough extent, that it is becoming more of a problem with time. The 8900 screen is amazing, I can read it easily in direct sunlight. But it has experienced multiple software problems that have required hard resets and re installations. That never happen with my 8320. Finally, I found the keyboard on the 8320 to be easier to read, particularly the numbers. No big surprise, I am going to be picking up a new 8320 and selling my 8900 as soon as our vacation is over and I return to the States.
    08-03-09 06:45 PM
    This thread was full to the brim with great information. I plan on upgrading from my 8310 to the 8900 this weekend.

The keyboard thing kinda has me concerned, though. However, since I will have a case on it from day one (I'm gonna start with this one, since it worked so well with my 8310 but I'll be on the lookout for a different one) I'm not sure this will be a problem.

So hopefully this upgrade will make me as happy as I'm hoping it will!
    10-21-09 11:45 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD