I want to switch from my current BB curve to the 8900. Shall i wait until the next batch is launched or shall i just buy a device from the first batch?

If i buy a device from the first production batch, will an OS upgrade fix the glitches later on (if any)?
    12-12-08 07:18 AM
    With any 1st generation phone there is always going to be problems. But since its so similar to the bold and the bolds success I believe it will be a hit unlike my storm w/ all the bugs and what not. I say do it =) a new toy is always fun to get anyway.
    12-12-08 07:20 AM
    I want to switch from my current BB curve to the 8900. Shall i wait until the next batch is launched or shall i just buy a device from the first batch?

If i buy a device from the first production batch, will an OS upgrade fix the glitches later on (if any)?
    I've been having the same worries as you. There was mention in the threads here as well as on the main blog a few days ago that this device didn't in fact get the 'atomic' trackball that was expected...it's just a black version of the same old technology.
    I'd sure be pi**ed off if I picked this up next week and then the next batch in Spring (or sooner) rolled out with the new gear! Apparently, according to some of the other Crackheads, it won't be the case though and RIM are holding fire to bring it in on future devices when they can be sure it's 100%.
    Can't see many other issues though...EDGE devices have been RIM's bread & butter for years....I foresee this being one very sweet 'Berry!

PS - Fellow Gooner here...What you thinking for tomorrow lunchtime? Away win?
    12-12-08 07:29 AM
    With any 1st generation phone there is always going to be problems. But since its so similar to the bold and the bolds success I believe it will be a hit unlike my storm w/ all the bugs and what not. I say do it =) a new toy is always fun to get anyway.
    Cheers. ill order it right away...
    12-12-08 08:53 AM
    I've been having the same worries as you. There was mention in the threads here as well as on the main blog a few days ago that this device didn't in fact get the 'atomic' trackball that was expected...it's just a black version of the same old technology.
    I'd sure be pi**ed off if I picked this up next week and then the next batch in Spring (or sooner) rolled out with the new gear! Apparently, according to some of the other Crackheads, it won't be the case though and RIM are holding fire to bring it in on future devices when they can be sure it's 100%.
    Can't see many other issues though...EDGE devices have been RIM's bread & butter for years....I foresee this being one very sweet 'Berry!

PS - Fellow Gooner here...What you thinking for tomorrow lunchtime? Away win?

Ill just keep my fingers crossed and hope they dont roll out the next gen with the atomic trackball.

As for the gunners, our form so far this season has been very unpredictable. We beat the stronger teams and lose to mid table teams. I personally like to be optimistic and never predict a loss. Ill say, 3-1 to the arsenal...
    12-12-08 09:00 AM
    i might wait for the second batch
    12-12-08 03:13 PM
    And what exactly is the atomic trackball?

How do i know if I have it or not?
    Last edited by Chromance; 12-12-08 at 03:49 PM.
    12-12-08 03:43 PM
    I'd like to wait for the magnum, but chances are I'll just jump on the Javelin when TMo releases it. Oh well, I've always been one for early adoption
    12-12-08 03:48 PM
    And what exactly is the atomic trackball?

How do i know if I have it or not?
    You don't have it I'm afraid. It's rumoured new technology...supposedly to be released as part of this device but didn't make it in time.
    It's an effort to increase sensitivity and decrease clogging from the old trackball.
    Some lucky peeps who have their 8900 already have said the new black ball feels very different from previous ones, so maybe something has changed......?? Not sure.

I'm getting my baby Tuesday regardless. Simply have no patience, but also no doubt it's going to be sweet.
    12-12-08 03:57 PM
    I hear a couple minor things with the new Storm, but nothing about the Bold... the 8900 is just a beefier version of the Bold in a smaller package... ya, it might not have the not have the atomic trackball... at least that is what I'm hearing... I'd still be very happy with a new 8900 right now... soon we will all be looking at either the new 8900 with 3G, or a 8900 with 3G and full keyboard and a touch screen.... there is always going to be something better or nicer around every corner.
    12-12-08 04:10 PM
    I hear a couple minor things with the new Storm, but nothing about the Bold... the 8900 is just a beefier version of the Bold in a smaller package... ya, it might not have the not have the atomic trackball... at least that is what I'm hearing... I'd still be very happy with a new 8900 right now... soon we will all be looking at either the new 8900 with 3G, or a 8900 with 3G and full keyboard and a touch screen.... there is always going to be something better or nicer around every corner.
    Agreed. Can't not get this one incase something better comes out in 6 months, or you'd always be waiting and never in fact actually have a phone.
    12-12-08 04:16 PM
    how is it a beefier version of the bold??? its slower and no 3G.
    12-12-08 04:27 PM
    I'd love to get clarification on the atomic trackball from RIM.
    12-12-08 04:54 PM
    I'd love to get clarification on the atomic trackball from RIM.
    Yeah, me too. See what Kevin says about in this article from the main blog, and some points in the comments from other crackheads. http://crackberry.com/how-install-at...-older-devices
    12-12-08 05:06 PM
    how is it a beefier version of the bold??? its slower and no 3G.
    Beefier RAM, screen res. and camera!
    12-12-08 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD