03-27-09 11:20 PM
74 123
tools
    You have no battery life???
    No, what i meant is that any improvement is better then no improvement.
    03-16-09 02:56 PM
    i think 174 and 168 are pretty close in battery life for my usage profile... but it doesn't hurt to try...
    03-16-09 03:00 PM
    I love .174! Everything is improved :]
    03-16-09 03:02 PM
    Hey guys,
    I was about to jump on the .174 software but some foolios are claiming that the battery drains fast when using wi-fi and making phone calls (seperately).

Check it out..
    (since I cant post links yet, search for this forum title)

174-battery-phone-calls-184163

Can anyone attest to this?
    03-16-09 03:03 PM
    You could try....to back up the media card on to you computer... format the card with the new OS on the BB....then reload music and see if that helps...

Just an idea and depending on how much music you have could take a while.
    Tried that too, no such luck. Oh well, i'm just praying they fix this in the next build...
    03-16-09 04:37 PM
    ok i was going to link back to the OS download, but for some reason the feature isn't working...

so..nm lol

but search .174 ...you'll find it
    Last edited by olliegrl; 03-16-09 at 04:51 PM.
    03-16-09 04:45 PM
    I'm going to have to give this update a spin!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 04:59 PM
    Hey guys,
    I was about to jump on the .174 software but some foolios are claiming that the battery drains fast when using wi-fi and making phone calls (seperately).

Check it out..
    (since I cant post links yet, search for this forum title)

174-battery-phone-calls-184163

Can anyone attest to this?
    My battery life isn't that great so far. Used for 10 hours. Just calls. At .25. Per cent. So far.

03-16-09 06:05 PM
    Apart from the battery improvements...is it worth updating from .168 to .174 for anything else? Honestly, I'm pretty content with everything on .168...my battery easily lasts for 3 days with heavy wifi, messaging and talking. Wondering if I should bother with the upgrade...
    03-16-09 09:31 PM
    i give it Thumbs down when it comes down to battery time. i did notice more memory avail. and snappier... But Batt. is the MOST IMPORTANT TO ME! .133 rocked a whole lot longer... hurry please leak another OS.....
    03-16-09 10:36 PM
    sorry noob here, but what are these .*** numbers yous are posting?
    03-16-09 11:10 PM
    sorry noob here, but what are these .*** numbers yous are posting?
    The numbers are different operation system versions. There are quite a few OS ou there, so you may want to search the threads. OS .174 is the lastest...though its not yet official!

03-17-09 12:32 AM
    battery life no so great on .174
    03-17-09 09:38 AM
    Battery life has increased significantly for me with .174.

When I first got my 8900 I could barely go a day especially if I left WiFi running without it being able to connect.

I can now go a couple of days or more without having to play so many games.

Generally speaking each upgrade I have done (and there have been too many versions recently) seems to have helped battery life.
    03-17-09 09:58 AM
    I've been using it for 8 hours now and the battery didn't move a nudge.

03-17-09 12:11 PM
    OS 4.6.1.174 is the best OS that I have had on my 8900 by far.

There are two problems:
    - no right margin in browser forms entry i.e. CrackBerry posting/replies.
    Fix: do Returns when you get to the end of each line

- some vids do not show up in the Media app (which is crap anyway).
    Fix: use Explore or use BBFileScout as a File Manager BBFileScout Homepage - Software for Blackberry Devices with OS 4.3 or higher
    03-17-09 12:56 PM
    On average with the stock battery I can get about 35 hours of heavy use on 174

That is an improment for me!

Posted from y CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ClintRo; 03-17-09 at 12:59 PM.
    03-17-09 12:57 PM
    im having no problems with it so far
    03-18-09 10:29 AM
    Although I do agree that .174 is so far the best OS of the whole 2 I've tried (.114 stock out of box and .174); personally for me the negatives of this beta build outweigh the positives by far.

The UMA calling on this build (possibly the device, I haven't had it long enough to be sure) is horrible, i drop calls the second i move out of or in to wifi range and I'm not even signed up for t-mo @ home so my calls still go out over GSM (correct me if I'm wrong here, I do not know much about UMA at all). Secondly this build disabled the gps puck in the phone. Not even the settings application can read the gps location anymore. In my opinion this build is far better (even with its issues) than the stock .114 my phone came with out of box 2 days ago.

The positives I've seen, first this was the fastest OS upgrade I've ever done; my pearl would take 90 mins just to get to the point of restoring backed up data, this javelin took about 20 which may actually be part of my problems since during the data restore it froze on my phone call log and after about a hour of it not moving i got fed up unplugged it did a battery pull and re-ran the data restoration. There really seems to be nothing wrong with the phone since this but I'm wondering if something went bad during the flash since many people are reporting no problems, yet others have one or both of the problems ive found on mine. Second my battery life is phenomenally better than it was with the stock OS. Day 1 the phone came to me out of box 1/2 charge, I charged to full unplugged at 2pm battery was critical (I have wifi on all day and use the phone quite often so I dont expect more than maybe 10 hours out of my battery as it is) by 6pm. The next 2 days running .174 my battery only went down 20% with wifi on and roughly the same amount of hourly usage over a full day which for me is about 16 hours from the point i unplug it until i plug it back in.

To make a long story short I like .174 and hope whatever they did to make the battery last longer in it they carry over to future builds, but lack of gps puck and dropping calls every time i get to or leave my house has annoyed me to the point that I am going to downgrade to .168 and give a release build a shot.
    Last edited by Raptr; 03-19-09 at 11:22 AM.
    03-19-09 11:20 AM
    damn..... enter key...use it ...

OK what are your problem exactly?? GPS

I am running 174 and don't have any issues with the GPS..

and Dropping calls.... not sure about this... you have to be on UMA and then switching to edge... that is what causes this.

for the dropped call issue...
    Go to Manage connections
    click on Mobile Network options
    Connection Preference = Mobile Network Preferred (if this is not selected you calls will go out over UMA even w/o the plan)

For the GPS issue

I believe you will have to set up your puck thru bluetooth first

go to options
    advanced options
    GPS
    GPS Data source should=Device GPS if you want to use the phone or you can select another device that is connected by bluetooth.
    Last edited by ClintRo; 03-19-09 at 11:29 AM.
    03-19-09 11:22 AM
    Edited post to use enter key (sorry i forget).

As for your suggestions the UMA thats good to know, I was having the problem across both .114 and .174. For whatever reason on .114 it was using GSM rather than UMA even when within range of my router, maybe I had it set to and didn't realise it.

As for the gps, I'm trying to use the devices built in gps location system, which within .114 was working as intended, as of my upgrade to .174 it cannot read the gps location. I've tried and typically use the gps function within the RIM maps app, but I also tried Telenav trial and simply refreshing my location in the settings app. It scans for satellites and never gets any further. Telenav simply says "Reading GPS.." and eventually says that the signal is too weak, move to an open area.

Either way I just finished downgrading to .168 and may try .174 again after work knowing what i now do about the UMA issue since the GPS function is really just a fun extra to me and the battery life by far outweighs lack of something I dont need/use.

Edit: The software was definitely the cause of the GPS not functioning, with .168 the gps works flawlessly again. At first I believed it was just where I was at causing the issue, but when I got back home that night I tried it at my house in the middle of Denver, CO where it told me there was no signal. I am at home now and it works as intended again.
    Last edited by Raptr; 03-19-09 at 12:11 PM.
    03-19-09 12:00 PM
    Edited post to use enter key (sorry i forget).

As for your suggestions the UMA thats good to know, I was having the problem across both .114 and .174. For whatever reason on .114 it was using GSM rather than UMA even when within range of my router, maybe I had it set to and didn't realise it.

As for the gps, I'm trying to use the devices built in gps location system, which within .114 was working as intended, as of my upgrade to .174 it cannot read the gps location. I've tried and typically use the gps function within the RIM maps app, but I also tried Telenav trial and simply refreshing my location in the settings app. It scans for satellites and never gets any further. Telenav simply says "Reading GPS.." and eventually says that the signal is too weak, move to an open area.

Either way I just finished downgrading to .168 and may try .174 again after work knowing what i now do about the UMA issue since the GPS function is really just a fun extra to me and the battery life by far outweighs lack of something I dont need/use.

Edit: The software was definitely the cause of the GPS not functioning, with .168 the gps works flawlessly again. At first I believed it was just where I was at causing the issue, but when I got back home that night I tried it at my house in the middle of Denver, CO where it told me there was no signal. I am at home now and it works as intended again.
    Thanks... that was hard to read.....I was just being a smart but-t so if I came across rude... sorry about that

My GPS work flawlessly on .174.....so i find it hard to believe..but I am glad it is working
    03-19-09 12:24 PM
    SOmetimes it take like 5 minutes or so to refreash.....

I assume you did the whole...

Go out side
    go to options
    advanced options
    GPS
    blackberry key
    refresh GPS..... it take a few moments

The longitude and latitude should populate!!
    03-19-09 12:29 PM
    174 sounds louder. Like the low sounds louder, med high and high is super loud. I think ill go back to 114 :/

03-19-09 02:14 PM
    why would you go back... are they TOO loud?
    03-19-09 02:19 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD