Hello All,

I owned a curve 8530 on the Boost Mobile network, this is my first blackberry and so far I love it....

I have realized that my prior phone did a lot of things behind the scenes for me but the blackberry actually presents me with choices instead of choosing for me...

I am all confused about the different type of text messages available to me:

1. Voice mail - traditional voice recordings.
    2. Email - Standard email coming in.
    3. SMS Text - Traditional text only message.
    4. MMS - Traditional text that can also handle images
    5. Instant messages - (AIM or Yahoo messanger) - Live chat type.
    6. BBM - I think this is BB own chat system much like AIM etc ?
    7. PIN - that is a really old school ICQ / UNIX related stuff
    8. Call log - are also handle as messages on the blackberry world

So now here is how I think the blackberry organizes all these different messages that it can handle...

1. Message envelope icon - Centralized unit from all messages can be viewed, everything comes in that way from text to live chat. So I make sure I keep that on the home screen so that I can just go there and read anything that has come in no matter where it came from, email, sms, mms, yahoo messenger, BBM, missed calls, etc...

2. Then it also has a special SMS/MMS icon that is dedicated to the only basic text messages, there I can only see plain text sms messages or text messages that come with an image embedded.

3. Then I can also go to the shortcut where it shows me everything that is always running on the system, and there I can find the BBM icon which can also handle any SMS/MMS/Yahoo messanger texto. Now, for some reason BBM makes you register and then I also got a new email address, so at first I thought that I could only receive messages from other BB users via BBM but in fact, any other phone can send messages to BBM.

At this point, when ever I get a new message, I can't not tell anymore how was it initiated, was it SMS, MMS, BBM. Before the text messages would light up telling me there was a new messages, now the BBM lights up even if it is a simple SMS text. Before I used chat via the yahoo messenger application, now when my girlfriend send me a message via messenger, it shows up on the BBM.

I am also running into the following dilemma, if my girlfriend sends me a simple sms text which I hate because they have very limited amount of characters, good only for like a tweet, the SMS/MMS icon no longer lights up, but if I go into the messages envelop icon, it shows up there and if I click on it, it will take me to the BBM chat session. Then I see the incoming message there, but I can only read the subject because when I open it, it shows as an empty chat. I now know that I have to go into the TXT session of the BBM to read the full message there, this is all very confusing and strange.

I have tried to read the manual about all of this, but the information given is very short handed and it doesn't go into details.

Can someone take the time to clarify this mess for me so that I can have a better understanding of the logic behind all of this because right now I am feeling very lost....

Please explain.

Also, I know have what seems to be a little compass icon under the signal strength meter, not sure why is there, if that is an indication of a program running in the back ground or what, I made sure that all GPS features were disable under the advance option, but still the icon is there and there is no explanation. I have done search online to find out like a screen shot of all the icons available on the blackberry screen and a description but there is no such thing. So we are left to wonder and just waiting for the day that the icon will disappear on its own...
    01-31-11 05:31 PM
    I can't help you out with your messaging problems as I don't use BBM.

However, it sounds like your mystery icon might be the indicator that an update is available for an app that you have installed. Check in AppWorld if this is the case there should be a red star in the corner of the "My AppWorld" icon at the bottom of the screen.

If that's not it I'm out of ideas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 06:55 AM
    Uhh... BBM definitly doesn't do that.

Messages app does that and its to simplify everything. I used to have SMS/MMS separated. But after I learned how much easier the messages application was I started just using that.

SMS means Short-code Message Service
    MMS means multimedia Message service. From my memory. Haha.

The compass thing is an application update from Blackberry App World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-11 07:00 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

Hello All,

I owned a curve 8530 on the Boost Mobile network, this is my first blackberry and so far I love it....

I have realized that my prior phone did a lot of things behind the scenes for me but the blackberry actually presents me with choices instead of choosing for me...

I am all confused about the different type of text messages available to me:

1. Voice mail - traditional voice recordings.
    2. Email - Standard email coming in.
    3. SMS Text - Traditional text only message.
    4. MMS - Media rich, text/video/image messages
    5. Instant messages - (AIM or Yahoo messanger) - Live chat type.
    6. BBM - BlackBerry to BlackBerry instant messaging. (requires BIS/BES)
    7. PIN - Unique number each device has that can be used to send SMS-like messages. (requires BIS/BES)
    8. Call log - are also handle as messages on the blackberry world

So now here is how I think the blackberry organizes all these different messages that it can handle...

1. Message envelope icon - Centralized unit from all messages can be viewed, everything comes in that way from text to live chat. So I make sure I keep that on the home screen so that I can just go there and read anything that has come in no matter where it came from, email, sms, mms, yahoo messenger, BBM, missed calls, etc...

Right, and most of us do. But you can change what goes in there and what doesn't. Messages > Menu > Options > Inbox Settings

2. Then it also has a special SMS/MMS icon that is dedicated to the only basic text messages, there I can only see plain text sms messages or text messages that come with an image embedded.

But if you change the options following the tip above, you can have SMS/MMS in the Messages icon. Also, some themes come with hide/show settings for the SMS/MMS icon.

3. Then I can also go to the shortcut where it shows me everything that is always running on the system, and there I can find the BBM icon which can also handle any SMS/MMS/Yahoo messanger texto. Now, for some reason BBM makes you register and then I also got a new email address, so at first I thought that I could only receive messages from other BB users via BBM but in fact, any other phone can send messages to BBM.

Nope. BBM is BlackBerry to BlackBerry only. What happens is that you probably have you BBM Contacts associated with the Contact in the address book. If that is so, SMS/MMS (and Y! SMS it seems) for those people will be handed by BBM. BBM > Menu > Options and look for the setting to either not have BB handle SMS or unlink the contacts.

At this point, when ever I get a new message, I can't not tell anymore how was it initiated, was it SMS, MMS, BBM. Before the text messages would light up telling me there was a new messages, now the BBM lights up even if it is a simple SMS text. Before I used chat via the yahoo messenger application, now when my girlfriend send me a message via messenger, it shows up on the BBM.

The tip above should address the issue.

I am also running into the following dilemma, if my girlfriend sends me a simple sms text which I hate because they have very limited amount of characters, good only for like a tweet, the SMS/MMS icon no longer lights up, but if I go into the messages envelop icon, it shows up there and if I click on it, it will take me to the BBM chat session. Then I see the incoming message there, but I can only read the subject because when I open it, it shows as an empty chat. I now know that I have to go into the TXT session of the BBM to read the full message there, this is all very confusing and strange.

Better unlink her then.

I have tried to read the manual about all of this, but the information given is very short handed and it doesn't go into details.

Can someone take the time to clarify this mess for me so that I can have a better understanding of the logic behind all of this because right now I am feeling very lost....

Please explain.

Also, I know have what seems to be a little compass icon under the signal strength meter, not sure why is there, if that is an indication of a program running in the back ground or what, I made sure that all GPS features were disable under the advance option, but still the icon is there and there is no explanation. I have done search online to find out like a screen shot of all the icons available on the blackberry screen and a description but there is no such thing. So we are left to wonder and just waiting for the day that the icon will disappear on its own...
    Is this it? If it is, AppWorld update. If not... post a screenshot so we can figure it out.

Last edited by diegonei; 02-03-11 at 08:12 AM.
    02-03-11 08:10 AM
    I don't think this is the icon he is talking about. I see the same thing he is talking about and have had no luck figuring out what it is either.

It is visible from the home screen, in the upper right corner just below the signal strength meter. The best way I can describe it is a white circle with a plus sign through it and three ))) to the right of it.

It almost looks like it should be a locator symbol but I have tried with GPS off and GPS location off and it is still there.
    02-11-11 10:42 AM
    I don't think this is the icon he is talking about. I see the same thing he is talking about and have had no luck figuring out what it is either.

It is visible from the home screen, in the upper right corner just below the signal strength meter. The best way I can describe it is a white circle with a plus sign through it and three ))) to the right of it.

It almost looks like it should be a locator symbol but I have tried with GPS off and GPS location off and it is still there.

If that's what you see, than it is the GPS.
    02-11-11 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD