I bought my Blackberry 8520 Curve two days ago. I orginally was told by I Wireless customer service that I was able to tether with the Blackberry before I bought it. I tried to use it as a modem and it did not work. I then called I Wireless and the guy that answer this time told me that Blackberry does not want people to use as a tethered modem. I then realized that I have a 30 day trial and I can send the phone back if I'm not satisfied, so I called I wireless again and then the guy on the end told me I could tether, just that I would have to go to crackberry to get the info(he could not tell me how to change the settings in my phone) He also said that when the get the phones from RIM that they are suppose to delete some settings that allow tethering.

I've changed the APN settings to the ones in my old phone which was through I Wireless and could tether. I'm not sure if that is why I can't at this time. I've also tries Pdanet software and tetherberry software. No luck there either.

I have an unlimited voice, data, and email plan. All of this is through I wireless which is a T-mobile affiliate. Does anyone have any idea how I can get the tethering to work on this phone.

Thanks...
    12-05-09 10:46 PM
    Well mine does. But it is really like an old dial up connection, and I am charged per minute. All I gotta do is plug it to the PC, load Desktop Manager and ask it to tether. I did have to let DM do the setup 1st time, but was a no brainer.

Now, if you mean using the BIS connection to give internet access to a PC, I think carriers are trying to block that. I am not sure, but I do think tetherberry is not working for everyone.

Anybody got more info on this?
    12-06-09 07:52 AM
    I tether with this 8520 and all other BB's I owned. I have unlimited BIS so am not changed anything extra.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-09 02:12 PM
    I tether with this 8520 and all other BB's I owned. I have unlimited BIS so am not changed anything extra.

How much do you pay for BIS where you are?
    12-06-09 02:36 PM
    You can tether with the 8520 but it will be very slow. I have not tried it with the program called tether yet so I can not say if that would be faster but I believe they have a trial so it's worth a shot.
    02-02-10 12:06 AM
    I used the BB Desktop manager to get this to work and it was quite simple there is an option on the main menu for IP Modem, go there, under connection settings select configure>add custom profile> put the name at iwireless, username/password/additional comments leave blank, for the access point put wap1.iwireless.com save. After that try to connect, it worked the first time for me and has since hopefully it will work for you as well, i am on Desktop manager verison 5.0.1.28
    02-02-10 03:03 PM
    I bought my Blackberry 8520 Curve two days ago. I orginally was told by I Wireless customer service that I was able to tether with the Blackberry before I bought it. I tried to use it as a modem and it did not work. I then called I Wireless and the guy that answer this time told me that Blackberry does not want people to use as a tethered modem. I then realized that I have a 30 day trial and I can send the phone back if I'm not satisfied, so I called I wireless again and then the guy on the end told me I could tether, just that I would have to go to crackberry to get the info(he could not tell me how to change the settings in my phone) He also said that when the get the phones from RIM that they are suppose to delete some settings that allow tethering.

I've changed the APN settings to the ones in my old phone which was through I Wireless and could tether. I'm not sure if that is why I can't at this time. I've also tries Pdanet software and tetherberry software. No luck there either.

I have an unlimited voice, data, and email plan. All of this is through I wireless which is a T-mobile affiliate. Does anyone have any idea how I can get the tethering to work on this phone.

Thanks...

There are multiple companies named iwireless. The one I believe you are referring to is based out of Iowa. Their BIS service is 19.95, but there is no option to add tethering. Since your account doesn't have a tethering feature on it, even if you were to enter their APN, it will not connect. You can not use any TCP functions (streaming, tethering, etc...) with their service. Hope that helps.
    02-02-10 06:08 PM
    How much do you pay for BIS where you are?
    I pay TT$199 or abt US$34 for unlimited BIS/mth.
    They also have weekly prepaid plans for like US$10/wk.

02-02-10 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD