Thinking about getting an 8530 for my upgrade this April, but I have some questions about the phone.

1. What features can be accessed over wifi only? I have some classes with wifi but no cell signal. Would texts, emails, etc. All be available? Just built in apps, not third party as much.
    2. How is the the keyboard? I like the keys on the first curve somewhat, but I am not the biggest fan of the tour keys. Could you compare them to those two phones?
    3. How does the trackpad feel? Is it accurate and easy to use?
    4. To Lock the phone, do you have to use an on screen icon? I noticed it didn't have a lock button.

Thank you for your help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-10 02:19 PM
    Thinking about getting an 8530 for my upgrade this April, but I have some questions about the phone.

1. What features can be accessed over wifi only? I have some classes with wifi but no cell signal. Would texts, emails, etc. All be available? Just built in apps, not third party as much. BBM, Internet, all apps that need internet access should work fine, SMS and MMS will not work since they use the cell singal to send/receive and not the data.
    2. How is the the keyboard? I like the keys on the first curve somewhat, but I am not the biggest fan of the tour keys. Could you compare them to those two phones? My girlfriend loves the keys on the Curve. She used the tour a couple time and prefers the Curve keyboard.
    3. How does the trackpad feel? Is it accurate and easy to use? Trackpad is awesome and yes it is very accurate and easy to use
    4. To Lock the phone, do you have to use an on screen icon? I noticed it didn't have a lock button. Just set the left side convenince key to screen lock and when you need to lock it just push the button.

Thank you for your help!

Hope this helps you out.
    01-18-10 04:05 PM
    I actually just set in the phone options "no dialing from home screen" and I never need to lock my key pad.
    01-18-10 04:08 PM
    2. How is the the keyboard? I like the keys on the first curve somewhat, but I am not the biggest fan of the tour keys. Could you compare them to those two phones?
    3. How does the trackpad feel? Is it accurate and easy to use?
    2. When I played with the 8330, Palm Pre, 8530, and Tour in the store, I actually liked the 8330 keyboard the best at first. Many people love the tour keyboard and I'm sure you get used to the slanted/contoured keys, but they felt awkward to me -- even though I wasn't making many typos, I felt like I was touching multiple keys at once and I didn't like that. I chose the 8530 and now that I've gotten used to the keyboard, I love it -- but I was coming from a touchscreen keyboard (Instinct) so anything was a vast improvement. And just a side-note, the Pre keyboard was totally squished and awful and that completely killed that device for me.

3. The trackpad is amazing. I did adjust the sensitivity to my liking and now it's perfect. I just played with a friend's [less than a year old] 8330 today and her trackball is a hot mess, it's really starting to stick and it's a huge ordeal to scroll to the right. Meanwhile she played with my 8530 trackpad and was instantly in love! The trackpad definitely seems more durable but I guess we'll have to wait and see if that rings true.
    01-18-10 04:20 PM
    The trackpad alone is what sold me on the 8530 over the Tour. Had to get out of the Pre...loved Palm's WebOS, the device sucked...
    01-18-10 07:59 PM
    You can lock the screen by holding down the A button
    01-18-10 11:31 PM
    Thanks for all the responses. I could probably get used to any keyboard, and could actually type well with the pre keyboard. I have a couple more questions:

-how is the battery life? I would be mainly texting, and streaming pandora for about an hour and a half and maybe some web browsing on the average weekday.
    -about pandora, does everyone receive texts ok when using pandora? My current phone has trouble receiving text messages when you are streaming pandora, not sure if that is just the device or what, but it isn't very nice. I wouldn't be using wifi when streaming wifi most of the time.

Thanks for all the help! I am considering other phones but this one is much cheaper and has the features that I want, and the keyboard.

01-19-10 07:43 PM
    There are 3 ways to lock your phone:
    1. You can use the keyboard lock option
    2. You can hold down the play button on the top of your phone and it will enter standby mode or
    3. You can hold down the A button and it will lock your phone
    01-21-10 12:08 AM
    How can I set the left side convenince key to screen lock and when I push the button.
    01-31-10 09:46 AM
    How can I set the left side convenince key to screen lock and when I push the button.
    options>screen/keyboard>

there are options there to change it
    01-31-10 09:58 AM
    I moved from Verizon 8330 to Spring 8530 and the signal is bad....1 bar!!!! Pandora worked to good with the 8330 but now I get about 1 minute of a song and it just stops????? I used to have no problems with recieving text and listening to Pandora. Even Slacker is lousy with my new BB I enabled wifi but can't tell if it's even doing anything????
    02-03-10 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD