Hi all,

I've recently got the BB 8520 and feeling that I went for this and not an Android phone now that I am starting to feel settled in with the OS.

I have the following queries which have been perplexing me for quite some time now -

#1 As you know one can check the total time and the last call time by going to status in the call menu. Now the last reading I remember seeing on the total call timer was around 25 hours, and when I next checked the timer after a few days I was confused to see this reading - 1:07:41:25 (At the time of writing this is 1:14:24:26).

I am simply unable to figure out what these figures mean.
    Can someone decipher these for me?

#2 Whenever I want to check the exact charge status of the battery I have to go to the settings menu. This is tedious and I am wondering if there is some kind of shortcut that I don't yet know about?

#3 When I search for files, the "Messages" folder is selected by default. Is there some way to change this default selection to "Calendar"?

Thanks for your patience!
    11-12-11 12:47 PM
    For #1, I believe that reads as Days: Hours: Minutes: Seconds, so, 1 day, 14 hours, 24 minutes, 26 seconds. This # should keep going up.

For #2, If hold the alt key, then press the e a c and e (again) keys, it will take you to a screen called "Help Me!", and it gives your batter percentage there. To exit that screen, just press the back key.

For #3, from what I can tell, with OS 5.0, there isn't a way to do what you are asking (changing the default selection). Good luck!
    11-12-11 08:52 PM
    Thanks, this is quite helpful !

Clearly you know a lot of the tips and tricks with BB phones, so can you also let me know what you think about this.

I've recently got a simple leather holster that is open at the top and has a cut on one face from where I can see part of the earpiece. I was very impressed and intrigued to see that as soon as I put the phone in the holster, the keypad gets automatically locked.

How on earth does the phone know this? I tried checking by running my hands and fingers but nothing happens. I don't see any sensors on the phone, so how does it know when it's inside the holster?

Second, I've set the backlight brightness to 30 %. I've noticed several times that the brightness suddenly goes off to 100 % or so for a while and then settles back at the level I have set it at.

When I started using the hoslter I started noticing the same thing. Every time the phone comes out of the holster, the brightness seems to max for a while and then settles back to the set value.

Is this normal and if yes why does it happen and how can I change it?

Thanks!
    11-12-11 10:36 PM
    The holster thing I believe is due to being magnets inside the holster, and attached/inside your phone (dunno where those are on the Curves, you could see them pretty easy on the 8120/8130(Pearl)). That's how it "figures it out." As far as the screen brightness thing, I dunno. Usually it works, but it is pretty quirky. There is an ongoing joke here on CrackBerry that no matter what screen setting you put on your phone, the BB tends to do whatever it wants to anyway. Enjoy your BlackBerry!
    11-13-11 01:22 AM
    Thanks ! This clears up the cobwebs. And yes I am enjoying the BB ride ;o)
    11-13-11 10:11 AM
    The alt +E+A+C+E thing really works! Background Brightness... It happens to me aswell and there isn't a lot you can do! Have fun!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD