I have a couple questions I haven't seen addressed elsewhere.

I have recently learned I can lock my phone, not just my keyboard, so that if I lose my phone or just leave it lying around, someone will need to use a password to access my information. If that someone (or myself!) makes too many incorrect attempts at the password, all the phone's data will wipe out.

I have found where on the phone to set up the password, so that is not one of my questions.

Q1: I make regular backups, with Blackberry desktop software and through Blackberry Protect. If the data gets wiped from my phone, can I recover it through one of the backups?

Q2: If the phone rings while the phone is locked, will I have to use the password to unlock the phone to answer the phone? I can still answer the phone with the keyboard locked, and when I discontinue the call, the keyboard returns to a locked state.

I know I am being extra paranoid, but I do want to know what I am getting myself into if I require a password.

I have a Curve 8520, if that matters.

Thanks!
    07-27-11 09:14 AM
    Q1. Regular backups on DM will get your Messages and options back.
    You need to backup Apps with something like BBSAK.
    Q2. I think if it is locked then you can pickup calls without the pass. But if you have BB Protect and lock it remotely, no calls can be answered until you unlock it. . Unless BB Os6 is different.
    07-27-11 09:18 AM
    To add to Deathcommand's answers
    Q1: DM will also backup your address book, calendar, and other databases, so you wouldn't lose your data if you lost your phone.
    Q2: Yes you can answer your phone without unlocking it. I have not used BB Protect but I may with my next phone when I have more space.
    07-27-11 09:45 AM
    Thanks! The phone is back up in both places, so I guess I am good to go!
    07-27-11 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD