Hey guys I just got my first Blackberry, its the Curve 8530. Anyhow I can't get my contacts over to the new BB from my old phone. I am able to sync them both via bluetooth, i can send contacts from the BB to my old cell phone, but when I try to send from the cell phone to the BB i keep getting and error that says "Sending ______ info failed" Can anyone shed some light on the situation? I don't want to have to input them all over again. Thanks.
    Last edited by allicedout; 01-31-10 at 12:39 PM.
    01-31-10 10:02 AM
    Do you have the DM? Create a backup file from old phone and then plug in new phone. It should DL all your stuff with one click.
    01-31-10 10:05 AM
    Sorry, whats a DM?
    01-31-10 10:15 AM
    unless your old phone was also a blackberry I don't think that would work. (if it was a blackberry it will work fine and ignore the rest of the post)

If its not, just take your phones (old and new) to your local store and ask them to swap your contacts over. They should do it no problem
    01-31-10 10:19 AM
    DM is Desktop Manager, the software that should have come with your blackberry. If you didn't get a CD with your device, go to Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com and download it from there onto your PC
    01-31-10 10:20 AM
    Thanks i'll try it with the DM. I'm trying to swap from a regular cell phone (Samsung Instinct) to my BB.
    01-31-10 10:22 AM
    as I stated, I've never tried to swap contact info over from a NON blackberry to a blackberry. You MIGHT be able to pull it off but I make no promises.

Worst case (short of typing them in one by one) just bring it to the local telus and they should swap it over. Every time I've bought a new phone they offer to swap my contacts over for me (and I've been with a few carriers and in a few stores)
    01-31-10 10:43 AM
    I'm with Telus as well, I never knew they could swap over all the information. Thanks.
    01-31-10 10:53 AM
    This is one of my pet peeves with all the carriers. They should offer this automatically when you purchase a new phone or get a new phone by extending your contract. For the life of me I can't figure out why they don't do this?!?!?!
    01-31-10 08:05 PM
    I actually went and switched over from an AT&T phone a few years back to a Cingular phone around the time Cingular became the same company with AT&T and they said they refused to swap AT&T to a Cingular phone, but when I upgraded from my Cingular phone to a new AT&T phone they did it for me... in this case were you always with Telus even with your Instinct? if so then Telus should do it hassle free, but then again, as I mentioned, AT&T and Cingular are the same company now and look at the trouble I went through.

If they dont do it for you they should at least be able to tell you how you could do it without retyping all contacts into the new phone.
    01-31-10 09:00 PM
    I've always been with Telus, anyhow it seems I don't know that many people and just spent and hour and manually inputted my contacts. This way i got to enter all there email addresses too which i would have had to do anyways.
    02-01-10 11:34 AM
    Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I'm with Verizon and they switched my contact list from my Env2 to my BB ~ upon request.
    02-01-10 05:25 PM
    it seems like you had to do it the hard way.next time try this: if you have a gmail account,download google sync for bb and wifi sync your old phone (along with contacts and calendar) to your gmail........then log into same account with bb and sync.problem solved.no gmail account?sync outlook with one of your email acounts that have all your contacts and set the dm to automaticly sync outlook contacts.
    02-02-10 01:04 AM
    This is one of my pet peeves with all the carriers. They should offer this automatically when you purchase a new phone or get a new phone by extending your contract. For the life of me I can't figure out why they don't do this?!?!?!
    Verizon will do it, all you have to do is ask.
    02-02-10 04:46 PM
    not just Verizon... ANY carrier should do it. Yes they should offer to do it, but if they don't just ask. Any carrier who is NOT willing to swap contacts over to the new device is not worth doing business with (IMHO)
    02-02-10 06:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD