I have looked on here to try to find an exact answer and i couldn't find one. I have a blackberry curve 8530 with the latest OS 5.0.0.973. I found out that i can lock my keypad just by holding down the * key for a half second or so, then to unlock it, press the mute key on top of the blackberry. I never use the voice dialing option on my phone which is the left button on the side of the phone. I was wondering if i could change the lock/unlock feature to the left button on the side of the phone. I have went to the options->screen/keyboard and seen that i could possibly change the left quick key thing, but i don't see the option where i can change it to the lock/unlock option. Hopefully this makes sense, and any help would be great.
    Also, I used to have the blackberry tour 9630 and they had the lock/unlock key on the top of the phone and i would like to make my curve like that as well.
    So this may be a very easy fix, but i'm fairly new to the blackberrys, so bear with me

Thanks
    01-26-11 08:32 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can't, I kno you can change the side buttons but not to unlock it. I wish you could do that too, I hate using the mute button

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-11 08:02 AM
    ya i figured i couldn't change it, but thanks for the response i really appreciate it.
    01-27-11 08:24 PM
    To lock using the top button, just hold it down for 2 seconds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 06:01 AM
    you can if you set a "password lock" I lock and unlock (with password) may phone thru the left convenience key (voice dialing key)
    01-28-11 06:58 AM
    I found a way to do it. (Requires password lock).
    Try alt-enter. I know this is usually to change the language, but when I tried it, it password locked my phone!
    BTW: If you want a Curve with a lock button, try the 8900.
    01-29-11 03:51 PM
    I found a way to do it. (Requires password lock).
    Try alt-enter. I know this is usually to change the language, but when I tried it, it password locked my phone!
    BTW: If you want a Curve with a lock button, try the 8900.
    This is brilliant, it really works.

Holding down the media button on my phone does not lock the keyboard, it puts the screen to sleep like it does when in my holster. Set the phone to password: timeout=1, # of attempts=10 for most ease of use. Also, I have version 5.0.0.1030, and when you set a password lock, you also get a software lock button.
    Last edited by aawilson; 01-29-11 at 04:22 PM.
    01-29-11 04:18 PM
    Mine is 5.0.0.681, same thing happens.
    01-29-11 06:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD