I noticed there are allready a number of threads on this subject, but still decided to create a new one, since my problems with it seem to occur a step further ahead than in most threads.

I've had a Curve 8520 with BIS for three years with Vodafone Netherlands, but recently transferred to a different contract without BIS, though with the same provider (it's an extension, so I also kept my original simcard and cellphone number). The reasons for doing so is that my BB is aging (e.g. battery life becoming less and less) and I didn't want to extend BIS for an aging phone, which when it does die I will most likely replace with one of my more gadgethungry brother's old android phones anyway. Also, I only really use Opera Mini and WhatsApp on my BB, and am always on Wifi in the house, on vacation, or in general whenever I can.

So, after transferring to the new BIS-less contract, I reset my BB to factory settings and input the following APN settings:

APN: live.vodafone.com
    User: vodafone
    Password: vodafone

These were verified by a Vodafone operator I contacted. Through Wifi, I then renstalled Opera Mini, WhatsApp and added LogicMail. When on Wifi, all three work just fine, even the standard BB browser does. However, without Wifi none of them works at all. I tried rebooting, disabling/enabling Push, customised security settings, manual GPRS registration, alternate BB APN, mobile network settings,.. nothing!

What am I missing here? At least Opera Mini should be able to connect through a regular dataplan, and WhatsApp working on wifi suggest BIS is not required for that either. Rather than being app related, it appears as if I have no internet connection at all. Could this have to do with ServiceBooks I've read about somewhere, or could there be something wrong provider side?

Really appreciate any help, as I'm quite happy with my old BB and would prefer to keep using it untill it does die on me
    02-03-14 06:48 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! BIS is required for BBOS device, regardless, if you want things to function via the carrier's side (carrier provisions your SIM card to receive data via BIS).

With wifi, the data does not travel via the carrier's back bone, but the ISP you're on. You might as well get on to the other devices that don't require BIS to work.
    02-03-14 09:00 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry! BIS is required for BBOS device, regardless, if you want things to function via the carrier's side (carrier provisions your SIM card to receive data via BIS).

With wifi, the data does not travel via the carrier's back bone, but the ISP you're on. You might as well get on to the other devices that don't require BIS to work.
    So would if work if I asked my carrier for a new sim card then?

I mean I just got a new contract with them, so if the sim card isn't suited for a non-BIS dataplan, they should provide me with another.
    02-04-14 04:34 AM
    one thing you could do is go to the browser settings in the advanced settings option and switch from 'hotspot brower' to whatever other option there is (most likely a mobile network connection from your provider/ wap).. hope it helps.
    04-18-14 10:09 AM